This article is about the named book (hymnal) specifically. For general information about said church hymns, see The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hymns.
is the official Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hymnal of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Published in English in 1985, and later in many other languages, it is used throughout the LDS Church. This article refers to the English version. The book was published on the 150th anniversary of the publication of the first LDS hymnbook, compiled by Emma Smith in 1835. Previous hymnbooks used by the church include The Manchester Hymnal (1840), The Psalmody (1889), Songs of Zion (1908), Hymns (1927), and Hymns (1948).
Organization [ edit ]
The book contains a table of contents, followed by a preface with a message from the church's
First Presidency, which encourages church members to use the hymn book at meetings and in their homes to invite the spirit and to teach doctrine.
The hymn section is divided into thematic groups:
The Morning Breaks; words by Parley P. Pratt, music by George Careless 2.
The Spirit of God; words by William Wines Phelps 3. Now Let Us Rejoice; words by
William Wines Phelps 4. Truth Eternal; words by
Parley P. Pratt 5.
High on the Mountain Top; words by Joel H. Johnson, music by Ebenezer Beesley 6. Redeemer of Israel; words by
William Wines Phelps, adapted from Joseph Swain 7. Israel, Israel, God Is Calling
8. Awake and Arise
9. Come, Rejoice
10. Come, Sing to the Lord; words and music by
Gerrit de Jong Jr. 11. What Was Witnessed in the Heavens?; music by
Evan Stephens 12. 'Twas Witnessed in the Morning Sky
13. An Angel from on High; words by
Parley P. Pratt, 14. Sweet Is the Peace the Gospel Brings
15. I Saw a Mighty Angel Fly
16. What Glorious Scenes Mine Eyes Behold; music by Ebenezer Beesley
17. Awake, Ye Saints of God, Awake!; words by
Eliza R. Snow, music by Evan Stephens 18. The Voice of God Again is Heard; words and music by
Evan Stephens 19.
We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet 20. God of Power, God of Right; words by
Wallace F. Bennett 21. Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice; words by
Joseph S. Murdock 22. We Listen to a Prophet's Voice
23. We Ever Pray for Thee; text and music by H. A. Tuckett, adapted by
Evan Stephens 24. God Bless Our Prophet Dear
25. Now We'll Sing With One Accord; words by
William Wines Phelps 26. Joseph Smith's First Prayer; words by
George Manwaring 27.
Praise to the Man; words by William Wines Phelps 28. Saints, Behold How Great Jehovah
A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief; words by James Montgomery 30.
Come, Come, Ye Saints; words by William Clayton 31.
O God, Our Help in Ages Past; words by Isaac Watts 32. The Happy Day at Last Has Come; music by Ebenezer Beesley
33. Our Mountain Home So Dear; music by
Evan Stephens, words by Emmeline B. Wells 34. O Ye Mountains High
35. For the Strength of the Hills; music by
Evan Stephens 36. They, the Builders of the Nation
37. The Wintry Day, Descending to Its Close; words by
Orson F. Whitney, music by Edward P. Kimball 38. Come, All Ye Saints of Zion; words by
William Wines Phelps 39. O Saints of Zion
40. Arise, O Glorious Zion; music by
George Careless 41. Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise
42. Hail to the Brightness of Zion's glad Morning!
43. Zion Stands with Hills Surrounded
44. Beautiful Zion, Built Above
45. Lead Me Into Life Eternal
Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken 47. We Will Sing of Zion
48. Glorious Things Are Sung of Zion; words by
William Wines Phelps 49.
Adam-ondi-Ahman; words by William Wines Phelps 50. Come, Though Glorious Day of Promise
51. Sons of Michael, He Approaches
52. The Day Dawn is Breaking; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 53. Let Earth's Inhabitants Rejoice
54. Behold, the Mountain of the Lord
55. Lo, the Mighty God Appearing!; music by
Evan Stephens 56. Softly Beams the Sacred Dawning; words by
John Jaques, music by J. Spencer Cornwall 57. We're Not Ashamed to Own Our Lord; words by
William Wines Phelps 58. Come, Ye Children of the Lord
59. Come, O Thou King of Kings; words by
Parley P. Pratt, 60.
Battle Hymn of the Republic 61. Raise Your Voice to the Lord
62–96: Praise and Thanksgiving
All Creatures of Our God and King; words by St. Francis of Assisi, translation by William H. Draper 63. Great King of Heaven
64. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
65. Come, All ye Saints Who Dwell on Earth; words by
William Wines Phelps 66. Rejoice, the Lord Is King!
67. Glory to God on High
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God; words by Martin Luther, music attributed to Martin Luther 69.
All Glory, Laud and Honor words by Theodulf of Orléans, translation from Latin by John Mason Neale. 70. Sing Praise to Him
71. With Songs of Praise
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty 73. Praise the Lord with Heart and Voice
74. Praise Ye the Lord; words by
Isaac Watts, music by Evan Stephens 75. In Hymns of Praise
76. God of Our Fathers, We Come unto Thee; music by
Ebenezer Beesley 77. Great Is the Lord; words by
Eliza R. Snow, music by Ebenezer Beesley 78.
God of Our Fathers, Whose Almighty Hand; words by Daniel C. Roberts, music by George W. Warren 79. With All the Power of Heart and Tongue; words by
Isaac Watts 80.
God of Our Fathers, Known of Old 81. Press Forward, Saints
For All the Saints 83. Guide Us, O Thou Great Jehovah
Faith of Our Fathers 85.
How Firm a Foundation 86.
How Great Thou Art, words by Stuart K. Hine (with alterations), music from a Swedish folk melody 87. God Is Love
88. Great God, Attend While Zion Sings; words by
Isaac Watts 89. The Lord is My Light
90. From All That Dwell below the Skies; words by
Isaac Watts 91. Father, Thy Children to Thee Now Raise; words and music by
Evan Stephens 92.
For the Beauty of the Earth 93. Prayer of Thanksgiving
Come, Ye Thankful People 95.
Now Thank We All Our God 96. Dearest Children, God is Near You
97–168: Prayer and Supplication
Lead, Kindly Light 98. I Need Thee Every Hour
99. Nearer, Dear Savior, to Thee; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 100.
Nearer My God to Thee 101. Guide Me to Thee
102. Jesus, Lover of My Soul
103. Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer
104. Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me
105. Master, the Tempest Is Raging
106. God Speed the Right
107. Lord, Accept Our True Devotion
The Lord Is My Shepherd 109. The Lord My Pasture Will Prepare
110. Cast Thy Burden Upon the Lord
Rock of Ages 112. Savior, Redeemer of My Soul; words by
Orson F. Whitney, music by Harry A. Dean 113. Our Savior's Love
114. Come Unto Him
115. Come, Ye Disconsolate
116. Come, Follow Me
117. Come Unto Jesus
118. Ye Simple Souls Who Stray; music by
Evan Stephens 119. Come, We That Love the Lord; words by
Isaac Watts 120. Lean on My Ample Arm; music by
Evan Stephens 121. I'm a Pilgrim, I'm a Stranger
122. Though Deepening Trials; words by
Eliza R. Snow, music by George Careless 123. Oh, May My Soul Commune With Thee
Be Still, My Soul; words by Katharina von Schlegel, translation by Jane Borthwick, music by Jean Sibelius 125. How Gentle God's Commands
126. How Long, O Lord Most Holy and True?; words by
John A. Widtsoe, music by B. Cecil Gates 127. Does the Journey Seem Long?; words by
Joseph Fielding Smith, music by George D. Pyper 128. When Faith Endures; words by
Naomi W. Randall 129. Where Can I Turn for Peace?; words by
Emma Lou Thayne, music by Joleen G. Meredith 130. Be Thou Humble
131. More Holiness Give Me
132. God Is in His Holy Temple
133. Father in Heaven
134. I Believe in Christ; words by
Bruce R. McConkie 135. My Redeemer Lives; words by
Gordon B. Hinckley, music by G. Homer Durham 136. I Know That My Redeemer Lives
138. Bless Our Fast, We Pray
139. In Fasting We Approach Thee; music by Clay Christiansen
140. Did You Think to Pray?
141. Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee
142. Sweet Hour of Prayer
143. Let the Holy Spirit Guide
144. Secret Prayer
145. Prayer Is the Soul's Sincere Desire; music by
George Careless 146. Gently Raise the Sacred Strain; words by
William Wines Phelps 147. Sweet Is the Work; words by
Isaac Watts 148. Sabbath Day
149. As the Dew from Heaven Distilling
150. O Thou Kind and Gracious Father; music by
George Careless 151. We Meet, Dear Lord
152. God Be with You Till We Meet Again
153. Lord, We Ask Thee Ere We Part; words by
George Manwaring, music by Ebenezer Beesley 154. Father, This Hour Has Been One of Joy
155. We Have Partaken of Thy Love
156. Sing We Now at Parting; words by
George Manwaring, music by Ebenezer Beesley 157. Thy Spirit, Lord, Has Stirred Our Souls; words by
Frank I. Kooyman, music by Alexander Schreiner 158. Before Thee, Lord, I Bow My Head
159. Now the Day Is Over
160. Softly Now the Light of Day
161. The Lord Be with Us
162. Lord, We Come Before Thee Now
163. Lord, Dismiss Us with Thy Blessing; words by John Fawcett, music by
Jean-Jacques Rousseau 164. Great God, to Thee My Evening Song
Abide with Me, 'Tis Eventide 166.
Abide with Me! 167. Come, Let Us Sing an Evening Hymn; words by
William Wines Phelps 168. As the Shadows Fall
169. As Now We Take the Sacrament
170. God, Our Father, Hear Us Pray
171. With Humble Heart
172. In Humility, Our Savior
173. While of These Emblems We Partake [SAUL]
174. While of These Emblems We Partake [AEOLIAN]
175. O God, the Eternal Father; words by
William Wines Phelps 176. 'Tis Sweet to Sing the Matchless Love; words by
George Manwaring 177. 'Tis Sweet to Sing the Matchless Love; words by
George Manwaring, music by Ebenezer Beesley 178. O Lord of Hosts; music by
George Careless 179. Again, Our Dear Redeeming Lord
180. Father in Heaven, We Do Believe; words by
Parley P. Pratt 181. Jesus of Nazareth, Savior and King
182. We'll Sing All Hail to Jesus' Name
183. In Remembrance of Thy Suffering; words and music by
Evan Stephens 184. Upon the Cross of Calvary
185. Reverently and Meekly Now; music by Ebenezer Beesley, words by
Joseph L. Townsend 186. Again We Meet Around the Board; words by
Eliza R. Snow, music by George Careless 187. God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son; words by Edward P. Kimball, music by
Alexander Schreiner 188. Thy Will, O Lord, Be Done
189. O Thou, Before the World Began
190. In Memory of the Crucified
191. Behold the Great Redeemer Die; music by
George Careless 192. He Died! The Great Redeemer Died; words by
Isaac Watts, music by George Careless 193. I Stand All Amazed
194. There is a Green Hill Far Away
195. How Great the Wisdom and the Love; words by
Eliza R. Snow 196. Jesus, Once of Humble Birth; words by
Parley P. Pratt
215–298: Special Topics
Ring Out, Wild Bells 216. We Are Sowing
217. Come, Let Us Anew
218. We Give Thee But Thine Own
219. Because I Have Been Given Much
220. Lord, I Would Follow Thee
221. Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd
222. Hear Thou Our Hymn, O Lord
223. Have I Done Any Good?
224. I Have Work Enough to Do
225. We Are Marching On to Glory
226. Improve the Shining Moments
227. There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today
228. You Can Make the Pathway Bright
229. Today, While the Sun Shines
230. Scatter Sunshine
231. Father, Cheer Our Souls Tonight
232. Let Us Oft Speak Kind Words; music by Ebenezer Beesley, words by
Joseph L. Townsend 233. Nay, Speak No Ill
234. Jesus, Mighty King in Zion
235. Should You Feel Inclined to Censure
236. Lord, Accept into Thy Kingdom
237. Do What Is Right
238. Behold Thy Sons and Daughters, Lord; words by
Parley P. Pratt, 239.
Choose the Right; words by Joseph L. Townsend 240. Know This, That Every Soul Is Free
Count Your Blessings 242.
Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow 243. Let Us All Press On; words and music by
Evan Stephens 244. Come Along, Come Along; words by
William Willes 245. This House We Dedicate to Thee
Onward, Christian Soldiers 247. We Love Thy House, O God
248. Up, Awake Ye Defenders of Zion
Called to Serve 250. We Are All Enlisted
251. Behold! A Royal Army
252. Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel
253. Like Ten Thousand Legions Marching
254. True to the Faith; words and music by
Evan Stephens 255. Carry On; words by
Ruth May Fox 256. As Zion's Youth In Latter Days
257. Rejoice! A Glorious Sound Is Heard
258. O Thou Rock of Our Salvation; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 259. Hope of Israel; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 260. Who's on the Lord's Side?
261. Thy Servants Are Prepared
262. Go, Ye Messengers of Glory
263. Go Forth with Faith
264. Hark, All Ye Nations!
265. Arise, O God, and Shine
266. The Time Is Far Spent; words by
Eliza R. Snow 267. How Wondrous and Great
268. Come, All Whose Souls are Lighted
269. Jehovah, Lord of Heaven and Earth
270. I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go
271. Oh, Holy Words of Truth and Love; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 272. Oh Say, What Is Truth?; words by
John Jaques 273. Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses; words by
Eliza R. Snow 274. The Iron Rod; words by
Joseph L. Townsend 275. Men Are That They Might Have Joy
276. Come Away to Sunday School
277. As I Search the Holy Scriptures
278. Thanks for the Sabbath School; words by
William Willes 279. Thy Holy Word, music by
Robert Cundick 280. Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning; music by
Ebenezer Beesley 281. Help Me Teach with Inspiration
282. We Meet Again in Sabbath School; words by
George Manwaring, music by Ebenezer Beesley 283. The Glorious Gospel Light Has Shone
If You Could Hie to Kolob; words by William Wines Phelps 285.
God Moves in a Mysterious Way 286.
Oh, What Songs of the Heart; words by Joseph L. Townsend 287. Rise, Ye Saints, and Temples Enter
288. How Beautiful Thy Temples, Lord
289. Holy Temples on Mount Zion
290. Rejoice, Ye Saints of Latter Days
291. Turn Your Hearts
O My Father; words by Eliza R. Snow 293. Each Life That Touches Ours for Good
294. Love at Home
295. O Love That Glorifies the Son
296. Our Father, by Whose Name
297. From Homes of Saints Glad Songs Arise
298. Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth
299–308: Children's Songs
299. Children of Our Heavenly Father
300. Families Can Be Together Forever
I Am a Child of God; words by Naomi W. Randall 302. I Know My Father Lives
303. Keep the Commandments
304. Teach Me to Walk in the Light
305. The Light Divine
306. God's Daily Care
307. In Our Lovely Deseret; words by
Eliza R. Snow 308. Love One Another
309–318: For Women
309. As Sisters in Zion; words by
Emily H. Woodmansee, music by Janice Kapp Perry 310. A Key Was Turned in Latter Days
311. We Meet Again As Sisters
312. We Ever Pray For Thee
313. God Is Love
314. How Gentle God's Commands
315. Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee
The Lord Is My Shepherd 317. Sweet Is the Work; words by
Isaac Watts 318. Love at Home
319–337: For Men
319. Ye Elders of Israel
320. The Priesthood of Our Lord
321. Ye Who Are Called to Labor
322. Come, All Ye Sons of God
323. Rise Up, O Men of God (KENILWORTH)
324. Rise Up, O Men of God (FESTAL SONG)
325. See The Mighty Priesthood Gathered
Come, Come, Ye Saints; words by William Clayton 327. Go, Ye Messengers of Heaven
328. An Angel From on High; words by
Parley P. Pratt 329. Thy Servants Are Prepared
330. See, The Mighty Angel Flying; words by
Robert B. Thompson; music by Evan Stephens 331. Oh Say, What Is Truth?
332. Come, O Thou Kings of Kings; words by
Parley P. Pratt, 333. High on the Mountain Top; music by
Ebenezer Beesley 334. I Need Thee Every Hour
335. Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy
336. School Thy Feelings
337. O Home Beloved; words by
Following the hymns, a section titled "Using the Hymnbook" gives helpful information for choristers and accompanists.
Finally, the hymns are listed in multiple indexes according to the authors' and composers' names, hymn titles, tune names, meters, scriptures referenced, etc.
Numbering [ edit ]
Members of the church sometimes debate about whether to say "hymn number" or "page number" when referring to the location of a particular hymn. The hymn numbers are not 1:1 with the amount of pages. The hymns themselves are numbered and not the pages.
Most of the hymns are arranged in traditional
SATB format with treble and bass clefs. The suggested tempo range (in beats per minute) is given, along with an indication of the appropriate mood for the song such as "joyfully," "reflectively," "with vigor," etc. Beneath the hymn are listed the author and composer and their years of birth and death (if applicable), copyright information, and scriptural references.
The book is laid out so that hymns occupying two pages in the book always start on the left. Thus, a page turn is never required in the middle of a hymn.
A few of the hymns have the same text, and even the same title, but are set to different hymn tunes.
Recordings [ edit ]
The LDS Church has released recordings of the hymns in CD sets. One set is instrumental only, and is sometimes used as accompaniment in church meetings. In the other set, the hymns are sung by a quartet with piano or organ accompaniment.
Many popular singers and instrumentalists, including the
Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Orchestra at Temple Square and Saints Unified Voices have also recorded arrangements of LDS hymns.
Languages [ edit ]
Many of the hymns have been translated and published in editions designed for use in other countries. Some of these editions include hymns not found in the English version, such as traditional Christmas carols and patriotic music of the countries where they are used.
Some of the languages the hymn book is published in include:
See also [ edit ]
External links [ edit ]
Hymns at LDS.org (includes index, text, music, and free audio downloads for most hymns in 1985 book; some excluded for copyright reasons)