|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|First appearance||The Spectacular Spider-Man #24 (Nov. 1978)|
|Created by||Bill Mantlo, Frank Springer|
|Alter ego||Antoine Delsoin|
|Team affiliations||The Mercy Killers|
|Abilities||Hypnotic ability by use of a specialized guitar|
The Hypno-Hustler is a fictional character, a comic book supervillain in the Marvel Comics universe. Created by Bill Mantlo and Frank Springer, the character first appeared in The Spectacular Spider-Man #24.
Fictional character biography
Antoine Desloin is the lead singer of the Mercy Killers going by the name of Hypno-Hustler. He and his band were scheduled to perform at a nightclub called "Beyond Forever." When the club's manager catches Hypno-Hustler robbing his safe, Hypno-Hustler ends up using his hypnotic equipment on the manager. When it came to perform, Hypno-Hustler and his band end up using their hypnotizing equipment on the audience in a plan to rob them as well. Peter Parker was at the club at the time and changed into Spider-Man. During the fight, Spider-Man discovered that Hypno-Hustler's headphones protected him from his own hypnotic music. Spider-Man managed to remove them from Hypno-Hustler causing him to become a victim of his own hypnosis. When the audience was free of the hypnosis, Hypno-Hustler and his Mercy Killers were webbed up and left for the police.
During the "Origin of the Species" storyline, Hypno-Hustler comes into the police station wanting help as Spider-Man is on a rampage against the villains ever since Menace's baby was stolen from him by the Chameleon.
Powers and abilities
The Hypno-Hustler can perform hypnosis with the aid of his guitar, and when teamed with his backup band, The Mercy Killers, can perform mass hypnosis. His boots can emit knockout gas on demand, and have retractable knives in the soles.
House of M
In the alternate future Spider-Man: Reign as conceived by Kaare Andrews, in which many superheroes had grown old and retired, Hypno-Hustler is an aged supervillain, now sympathizing with Spider-Man. Realizing that Spider-Man is coming out of retirement and the Reign will be challenged, he attempts to help by using his old hypno-music from a boombox to distract Reign officers and encourage citizens to revolt. However, his boombox loses power and the officers swiftly retaliate with deadly force, killing him immediately.
In other media
- Hypno-Hustler is mentioned in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Hostage Earth." Hawkeye intentionally enrages Chemistro by pretending to forget his name and asking if he is supposed to be Hypno-Hustler.
- Hypno-Hustler is mentioned in the console versions of Spider-Man: Friend or Foe. When Spidey faces Rhino, he says "They're really scraping the bottom of the villain barrel now. Who's next, Hypno-Hustler?".
- He later physically make an appearance in the PlayStation 2 and PSP versions of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. He is an assist character who will vanquish all of the enemies in the area by his guitar.
- Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #24
- Spider-Man Unlimited #12
- Spider-Man's Tangled Web #16-17
- Amazing Spider-Man #645
- Avenging Spider-Man #13
- House of M: Avengers #1
- Spider-Man: Reign #3