|Studio album by System of a Down|
|Released||November 22, 2005|
|Recorded||2004–2005, The Mansion
Laurel Canyon, Los Angeles, California
Akademie Mathematique of Philosophical Sound Research
Los Angeles, California
|Producer||Rick Rubin, Daron Malakian|
|System of a Down chronology|
|Singles from Hypnotize|
Hypnotize is the fifth album by Armenian American rock band System of a Down and the second half of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double album. It was released on November 22, 2005, six months after the release of companion album Mezmerize. Mezmerize and Hypnotize both debuted at number #1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart making the band one of the few to achieve this with two albums in the same year. Hypnotize was System of a Down's last studio album before their four-year hiatus from August 2006 to November 2010.
Hypnotize opened at #1 on the Billboard 200 with 320,000 copies the first week. The album debuted at #1 on the Canadian Albums Chart, selling 47,000 copies in its first week. The album was certified gold and platinum by the RIAA on December 13, 2005. Since its release, Hypnotize has sold 8 million copies worldwide.
Entertainment Weekly (No. 851, p. 100) - "[T]hey're flaunting a heretofore underexplored sensitive side, offsetting their trademark stampeding riffology with flashes of delicate lyricism." - Grade: B+
Rolling Stone (No. 988, p. 117) - 3.5 out of 5 stars - "Hell immediately runneth over on Malakian's scoured-staccato guitars and Dolmayan's furious hammering."
Spin (p. 62) - Ranked #20 in Spin's "40 Best Albums of 2005".
Uncut (p. 109) - 3 stars out of 5 - "System succeed through their skill at wielding complex, progressive heaviness in a pop context."
|1.||"Attack"||Daron Malakian, Serj Tankian||Malakian||3:06|
|2.||"Dreaming"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian, Shavo Odadjian||4:00|
|3.||"Kill Rock 'n Roll"||Malakian||Malakian||2:28|
|5.||"Stealing Society"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||2:58|
|7.||"U-Fig"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian, Odadjian||2:55|
|8.||"Holy Mountains"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||5:28|
|9.||"Vicinity of Obscenity"||Tankian||Tankian, Malakian||2:51|
|10.||"She's Like Heroin"||Malakian||Malakian||2:44|
The album was initially going to start with a Middle Eastern style instrumental track entitled "Hezze", which Malakian stated was one of his favorite songs on the record prior its release. It was dropped at the last minute because the group wanted to open the album with a heavy song and because the band felt it was incongruous with the other songs on the album. However, during live performance of "Mr. Jack" Daron will yell "Hello Hezze" after the first chorus. A funk/jazzy guitar instrumental, believed to be "Hezze" is then played after.
DualDisc edition — DVD side
- Entire album in enhanced stereo
- The Recording of Mezmerize / Hypnotize
- "B.Y.O.B." and "Question!" videos
- System of a Down
- Serj Tankian – vocals, keyboards, theremin
- Daron Malakian – vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards 
- Shavo Odadjian – bass
- John Dolmayan – drums
- Produced by Rick Rubin and Daron Malakian
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Engineered by David Schiffman
- Editing by Jason Lader and Dana Neilsen
- Assistant engineer: Phillip Broussard
- All artwork by Vartan Malakian
- Design: System of a Down and Brandy Flower
- String arrangement: Serj Tankian and Marc Mann
- Worldwide representation: Velvet Hammer Music and Management Group
- Mix ProTools engineer: John O'Mahony
- Mix assistant engineers: Steve Sisco (Soundtrack) & Joe Peluso (Enterprise)
- Album production coordinator: Lindsay Chase / Braden Asher
- Recording location: The Mansion in Laurel Canyon, Los Angeles, CA and Akademie Mathematique of Philosophical Sound Research, Los Angeles, CA
- Mixed at Soundtrack Studios, New York, NY And Enterprise Studios, Los Angeles, CA
- Mastered by Vlado Meller at Sony Music Studios, New York, NY
Charts and certifications
Sales and certifications
- "Hypnotize Reviews". Metacritic.
- Beringer, Drew (2005-11-24). "System Of A Down - Hypnotize - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.
- Loftus, Johnny. "Hypnotize - System of a Down". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Sinclair, Tom (2005-11-25). "Hypnotize Review". Entertainment Weekly.
- Lynskey, Dorian (2005-11-17). "CD: System of a Down, Hypnotize". 'The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Byrom, Cory D. (2005-11-21). "System of a Down: Mesmerize / Hypnotize". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Begrand, Adrien (2005-11-21). "System of a Down: Hypnotize". PopMatters. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Fricke, David (2005-11-17). "System of a Down: Hypnotize : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2007-11-10. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Shipley, Al (2005-12-14). "System Of A Down - Hypnotize - Review". Stylus Magazine.
- Donnelly, Dave (2005-11-19). "Review: System of a Down - Hypnotize". Sputnikmusic.
- Gundersen, Edna (2005-11-21). "System of a Down zooms way up with 'Hypnotize'". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "SOAD knocks Madonna from No. 1". Jam!. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Underwood Leads Three Country Debuts Onto Chart". Billboard.
- Epstein, Dan (July 2008). Guitar World Interview with Daron Malakian: "A Scar Is Born". Guitar World.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLIS. 2005-11-27. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Austrian album certifications – System of a Down – Hypnotize" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter System of a Down in the field Interpret. Enter Hypnotize in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2005 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian album certifications – System of a Down – System of a Down" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (System Of A Down; 'Hypnotize')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Irish album certifications – System Of A Down – Hypnotize". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "New Zealand album certifications – System of a Down – Hypnotize". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (System Of A Down; 'Hypnotize')". Hung Medien.
- "American album certifications – System of a Down – Hypnotize". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Confessions on a Dance Floor by Madonna
|Billboard 200 number-one album
December 4, 2005 – December 10, 2005
Now 20 by Various artists