Hyson Green is an area of Nottingham, England. It is the second most popular shopping area after the city centre and is now home to a variety of cultures with a thriving local economy. Hyson Green has the largest ethnic minority population in the city with many multicultural shops and supermarkets offering foods from West Africa and Southern Africa, Arabia, Eastern Europe, Iran, India, Pakistan and Russia. Since 2006 Hyson Green has seen a larger rise in development and direct international investment than any other area of Nottingham. According to new research Hyson Green has the fastest GDP growth in Nottingham.
The area is served by Radford Road tram stop and Hyson Green Market tram stop on the Nottingham Express Transit. The opening of the tram system has boosted Hyson Green's profile and helped to regenerate the area.
Adjacent to The Forest Tram Stop is the Forest Recreation Ground, which holds the annual Nottingham Goose Fair and frequent sport matches on the grass pitches. There is a small playground, and several astro-turf pitches.
Nottingham City Transport
- L12: University Campus - QMC - Hyson Green - City Hospital Island.
- L13: Nottingham - Canning Circus - Hyson Green - Basford - Bulwell.
- L14: Nottingham - Canning Circus - Hyson Green - City Hospital - Basford - Bulwell.
Nottingham Express Transit
- Tram: Nottingham - Hyson Green - Basford - Bulwell - Hucknall.
- Tram: Nottingham - Hyson Green - Basford - Phoenix Park.
- Tom Blower (1914–1955), swimmer born in Hyson Green
- Fred Geary (1868–1955), the Everton and England footballer was born in Hyson Green. He started his career with Notts County.
- St. Paul's Church, Hyson Green
- St. Stephen's Church, Hyson Green
- Hyson Green Youth and Community Centre
- "Neighbourhood images in Nottingham: Social cohesion and neighbourhood change". Joseph Rowntree Foundation. 2007-03-26.
- "NET Nets Top Award". NET website.
- "Crime statistics, Basford/Hyson Green". Nottinghamshire Police website. 2007-03-26.
|This Nottinghamshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|