Hysteria (Def Leppard song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|Single by Def Leppard|
|from the album Hysteria|
|Released||November 1987 (U.K.)
January 1988 (U.S.A.)
19 March 2013 (Re-recorded Version)
|Format||7" / 12" / CD / CDV
Digital Download (2013 Re-recorded Version)
2012 (Re-recorded Version)
|Length||5:54 (album version)
3:50 (single edit)
|Writer(s)||Joe Elliott, Phil Collen, Steve Clark, Rick Savage, Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Def Leppard singles chronology|
"Hysteria" is a love song by English hard rock band Def Leppard. It is the tenth track on their 1987 album album of the same name and was released as the fourth single from that album in November 1987. "Hysteria" peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100. On VH1 Storytellers: Def Leppard, frontman Joe Elliott revealed that the song title came from drummer Rick Allen.
The mellow ballad features a clean guitar melody that is very reminiscent of Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd, and heavily multi-tracked vocals in its chorus. The "extreme" nature of producer Mutt Lange's recording methods is also exampled in the chorus, where the clean guitar chords were recorded one note at a time as opposed to the traditional method of strumming them, in effect "building" a chord by recording the notes that make them up as one would build a wall by stacking bricks upon each other one-by-one as confirmed by recording engineer Mike Shipley. An acoustic rendition of the song was performed by Elliott and guitarist Phil Collen on the Hysteria edition of VH1's Classic Albums.
7": Bludgeon Riffola / Mercury / 870 004-7 (USA)
- "Ride into the Sun"
- Lovedrug recorded a version of "Hysteria", along with a making-of video, for the fan-chosen covers album from the I AM LOVEDRUG campaign. The album, titled Best of I AM LOVEDRUG, was released 28 June 2011.
- English metalcore band Asking Alexandria recorded a cover of "Hysteria" for their Under The Influence: A Tribute To The Legends Of Hard Rock EP.
- Def Leppard themselves re-recorded the song in 2012 (along with "Rock of Ages" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me") and released it as a digital download on 19 March 2013.
- "Lovedrug Cover Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' - Song Premiere". Noisecreep. 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "Lovedrug Takes on Def Leppard, Darren Hayes, Stevie Nicks, and More » Cover Me". Covermesongs.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "Iamlovedrug.Com". Iamlovedrug.Com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "Melodic Net - Lovedrug Release "Best Of I Am Lovedrug" On June 28th". Melodic.net. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2012-01-06.