September 25, 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Chung-Ang University|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-pyeong|
Hyun Bin's acting career began when an official at an entertainment agency saw Hyun passing by on a motorcycle in high school and approached him. After his 2002 film Shower could not be released due to lack of funding, Hyun eventually made his debut in 2003 with the television series Bodyguard, followed by roles in the sitcom Nonstop 4 and quirky drama Ireland. He shot to stardom in the 2005 romantic comedy My Name is Kim Sam-soon with Kim Sun-ah. Sam-soon was a massive hit with average ratings of over 37% and 50.5% for the finale, for which Hyun won the Top Excellence Award at the MBC Drama Awards.
Mainstream success eluded Hyun in the next few years. His first film as a lead actor A Millionaire's First Love (written by Internet novelist Guiyeoni) did not do well, as did TV melodrama The Snow Queen, a love story between a math genius-turned-boxer and a sheltered, pampered girl (Sung Yu-ri). Despite low ratings, 2008's The World That They Live In (also known as Worlds Within) was well-received for its writing; he and Song Hye-kyo played TV producers struggling to create the perfect drama while still maintaining their relationship. Hyun began choosing more eclectic projects, such as I'm Happy, a romance between a patient and a nurse (Lee Bo-young) in a mental ward, which was the closing film at the 2008 Busan International Film Festival. He then portrayed a sociopath in the critically acclaimed gangster saga Friend, Our Legend, reportedly watching the original film 20 to 30 times.
In 2010 he saw a surge of fame with Secret Garden, a romantic fantasy about a fussy and arrogant department store owner and a penniless stunt woman (Ha Ji-won) who swap bodies every time it rains. The show brought in 30% ratings and garnered much interest regarding its fashion, catchphrases and music, and Hyun was recognized at the 2010 SBS Drama Awards and the 47th Paeksang Arts Awards for his stellar performance. He also contributed to the soundtrack with "That Man," which peaked at number one in eight Korean music portals.
In February 2011 he walked the red carpet at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival where two of his films Come Rain, Come Shine and Late Autumn screened. He described the honor as his "happiest achievement."
In Late Autumn, an English-language remake shot in Seattle of the 1966 Lee Man-hee classic, Hyun played a man on the run who falls in love with a woman who is on special leave from prison (Chinese actress Tang Wei). It became the highest grossing Korean film released in China to date, taking in more than US$9.5 million over two weeks, which was unprecedented for a melodrama. He received a good review from The Hollywood Reporter which stated, "It is Hyun who impresses more for not underplaying the dandy, narcissistic side of his personality."
On March 7, 2011, Hyun volunteered to serve his 21 months of compulsory military service in the Marine Corps, considered the toughest service branch. He was discharged on December 6, 2012 and received a citation for being an exemplary soldier. In front of media and thousands of fans from various countries, Hyun shed tears and bowed.
After the merger of their former agency AM Entertainment with SM Entertainment, Hyun's reps announced in November 2012 that the actor and Shin Min-ah had decided to go independent and set up their own management agency O& Entertainment. Hyun then spent most of 2013 shooting commercials as an in-demand product endorser, and holding fan meetings all over Asia.
For his acting comeback after military service, Hyun chose The Fatal Encounter, his first ever period film, in which he played the leading role of King Jeongjo who faced fierce party strife and assassination attempts during his reign. It was released in April 2014 and drew more than 3 million admissions.
Hyun was born and raised in Seoul. He has one older brother. He graduated from Chung-Ang University in 2004 where he majored in Theater Studies. Since 2009 he has been enrolled at the same university to obtain a master's degree.
In August 2009 Hyun confirmed that he was dating Song Hye-kyo, his co-star in Worlds Within. In March 2011, hours after Hyun's military enlistment, his and Song's agencies confirmed speculation that the couple had broken up.
|2004||Nonstop 4||MBC||Hyun Bin|
|2005||My Name is Kim Sam-soon||MBC||Hyun Jin-heon|
|2006-2007||The Snow Queen||KBS2||Han Tae-woong/Han Deuk-gu|
|2008||Worlds Within||KBS2||Jung Ji-oh|
|2009||Friend, Our Legend||MBC||Han Dong-soo|
|2010-2011||Secret Garden||SBS||Kim Joo-won|
|2004||Spin Kick||Lee Min-gyu|
|2005||Daddy Long Legs||Hyung-joon|
|2006||A Millionaire's First Love||Kang Jae-kyung|
|2009||I'm Happy||Jo Man-soo|
|Come Rain, Come Shine||He|
|2014||The Fatal Encounter||King Jeongjo|
|2006||"Hey U"||Lemon Tree|
|2010||"Dream in My Heart"||Single|
|2011||"Can't Have You"||Friend, Our Legend OST|
|"That Man"||Secret Garden OST|
Awards and nominations
||Special Award, TV Actor category||
||Best New Actor||
||Best New Actor (TV)||Nominated|
||Best Couple Award with Kim Sun-ah||My Name is Kim Sam-soon||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Won|
||Popularity Award (Film)||
||Best Couple Award with Sung Yu-ri||
|Excellence Award, Actor||Nominated|
||Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Nominated|
||Excellence Award, Actor||
||Best Couple Award with Ha Ji-won||
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Won|
||Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|Grand Prize/Daesang for TV||Won|
||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|
||Producer's Choice Award||N/A||Won|
- "Hyun Bin's dark (embarrassing) history? He shot a TV series only wearing a swimsuit in 2003". Star News. February 24, 2012.
- 10LINE: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. December 2, 2009.
- Samsoon last episode hangs on hope. Korea JoongAng Daily. July 22, 2005.
- "Hyun Bin's Happy is unhappy". 10Asia. November 16, 2009.
- "Blockbuster Friend to Be Reproduced as TV Series". The Korea Times. July 4, 2008.
- "Movie-Based Dramas to Fill TV Screens". The Korea Times. July 8, 2008.
- Friends, Lawyers to Hit Small Screen. The Korea Times. June 23, 2009.
- "Legal wars and blood brothers hit TV". The Korea Herald. June 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 1. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 2. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 3. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 1. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 2. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- "Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win Paeksang awards". The Korea Herald. May 29, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win top prizes at Paeksang. 10Asia. May 27, 2011.
- 현빈, 5일째 8개 음원사이트 1위…롱런하나 (Hyun Bin, first place in 8 music sites for the fifth day...long run?). Nate (in Korean). January 11, 2011.
- Focus: Actor Hyun Bin, this man cries. 10Asia. January 14, 2011.
- Success of Secret Garden Continues to Grow. The Chosun Ilbo. January 21, 2011.
- Hyun Bin emerges as Romeo of the hour. The Korea Times. February 15, 2011.
- Actors Hyun Bin and Lim Soo-jung pose for cameras.... The Korea Times. February 18, 2011.
- "Director Lee defends pace of Berlin’s sole Asian entry". The Korea Herald. February 18, 2011.
- Hyun Bin happiest with invitation to Berlin film fest. 10Asia. January 20, 2011.
- Come Rain invited to Berlinale. The Korea Times. January 21, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Tang Wei Cast in Korea-US Project. The Korea Times. November 5, 2009.
- Actor Hyun Bin is on the rise in America, too. The Korea Times. January 27, 2011.
- Anticipation builds for Late Autumn debut. Korea JoongAng Daily. February 11, 2011.
- Interview: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. February 15, 2011.
- Late Autumn becomes the all-time highest grossing Korean film in China. Korean Film Biz Zone. April 13, 2012.
- Late Autumn -- Film Review. The Hollywood Reporter. October 14, 2010.
- Heartthrob Hyun Bin Volunteers for Marines. The Chosun Ilbo. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to join Marine Corps. Korea JoongAng Daily. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin passes exam for Marine Corps. 10Asia. January 19, 2011.
- Hyun Bin joins Marine Corps. The Korea Times. March 7, 2011.
- Thousands bid farewell to actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. March 7, 2011.
- As actor joins Marines, tears of thousands flow. Korea JoongAng Daily. March 8, 2011.
- Photos of Hyun Bin in military training camp released. 10Asia. March 22, 2011.
- More photos of actor Hyun Bin in training camp revealed. 10Asia. March 31, 2011.
- Photos of actor Hyun Bin into his 3rd week of training revealed. 10Asia. April 8, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to be deployed to NLL. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 20, 2011.
- Hyun Bin fever hits island in Yellow Sea. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 22, 2011.
- "Heartthrob Hyun Bin Completes Mandatory Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin tears up after discharge". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin Discharged from Military Service". KBS Global. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin says, "I missed acting so much"". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin receives a citation for being an exemplary soldier". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "Why Were Hyun Bin, Shin Min Ah Left Out of the SM C&C-AM Entertainment Merger?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. September 9, 2012.
- Hyun Bin to Set Up His Own Agency With Shin Min Ah. Soompi. November 8, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin the face of canned coffee". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 10, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Becomes Model for Cantata Coffee". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 11, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Re-Cast As Samsung Smart TV's Model". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 17, 2013.
- "Just out of Army, Hyun Bin cashes in". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 18, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin goes on Asia tour to meet with fans in Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 12, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin set to appear in new film". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 30, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Says Acting a Challenge After Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. April 3, 2014.
- "Hyun Bin back as a muscular King Jeongjo". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 4, 2014.
- "Hyun Bin Recalls Fitness Regimen Fit for a King for Latest Flick". The Chosun Ilbo. May 16, 2014.
- "Interview: Hyun Bin Regained His Love and Passion for Acting After the Marines". enewsWorld. May 17, 2014.
- "Interview: Hyun Bin's Back Muscles Took 3 Months to Build but Disappeared in 2 Weeks". enewsWorld. May 17, 2014.
- "HYUN Bin of THE FATAL ENCOUNTER: A Smart Actor Whose Name Has Proven Trustworthy". Korean Cinema Today. May 30, 2014.
- "Celebrity Romance Heats Up". The Korea Times. April 17, 2007.
- "송혜교ㆍ현빈 "우리 사랑에 빠졌어요"" [Song Hye-kyo & Hyun Bin: "We Fell in Love"]. Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). August 5, 2009.
- Hyun and Song Become a Couple. The Korea Times. August 5, 2009.
- Worlds Within stars couple up. Korea JoongAng Daily. August 6, 2009.
- Hyun Bin, Song Hye-kyo Announce Split. The Chosun Ilbo. March 9, 2011.
- Hyun Bin and Song Hye-kyo call it quits. 10Asia. March 8, 2011.
- 42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations + Winners. Twitch Film. April 14, 2006.
- "Nominees in the 2011 Seoul Drama Awards". Korea Observer. July 26, 2011.
- "Film festival kicks off in Bucheon". Korea.net. July 18, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyun Bin.|