September 25, 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Chung-Ang University|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-pyeong|
Hyun Bin (Hangul: 현빈) (born Kim Tae-pyung on September 25, 1982) is a South Korean actor. He is best known for his leading roles in the TV dramas My Name is Kim Sam-soon in 2005, and Secret Garden in 2010.
Hyun Bin's acting career began when an official at an entertainment agency saw Hyun passing by on a motorcycle in high school and approached him. After his 2002 film Shower could not be released due to lack of funding, Hyun eventually made his debut in 2003 with the television series Bodyguard, followed by roles in the sitcom Nonstop 4 and quirky drama Ireland. He shot to stardom in the 2005 romantic comedy My Name is Kim Sam-soon with Kim Sun-ah. Sam-soon was a massive hit with average ratings of over 37% and 50.5% for the finale, for which Hyun won the Top Excellence Award at the MBC Drama Awards.
Mainstream success eluded Hyun in the next few years. His first film as a lead actor A Millionaire's First Love (written by Internet novelist Guiyeoni) flopped, as did TV melodrama The Snow Queen, a love story between a math genius-turned-boxer and a sheltered, pampered girl (Sung Yu-ri). Despite low ratings, 2008's Worlds Within was well-received for its writing; he and Song Hye-kyo played TV producers struggling to create the perfect drama while still maintaining their relationship. He then portrayed a sociopath in the critically acclaimed gangster saga Friend, Our Legend, reportedly watching the original film 20 to 30 times.
In 2010 he saw a surge of fame with Secret Garden, a romantic fantasy about a fussy and arrogant department store owner and a penniless stunt woman (Ha Ji-won) who switch souls every time it rains. The show brought in 30% ratings and garnered much interest regarding its fashion, catchphrases and music, and Hyun was recognized at the SBS Drama Awards and Baeksang Arts Awards for his performance. He also contributed to the soundtrack with "That Man", which peaked at number one in eight Korean music portals.
In February 2011 he walked the red carpet at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival where two of his films Come Rain, Come Shine and Late Autumn screened. He described the honor as his "happiest achievement."
In Late Autumn, an English-language remake shot in Seattle of the 1966 Lee Man-hee classic, Hyun played a man on the run who falls in love with a woman who is on special leave from prison (Chinese actress Tang Wei). It became the highest grossing Korean film released in China to date, taking in more than $9.5 million over two weeks, which is unprecedented for a melodrama. He received a good review from The Hollywood Reporter which stated, "It is Hyun who impresses more for not underplaying the dandy, narcissistic side of his personality."
On March 7, 2011, Hyun volunteered to serve his 21 months of compulsory military service in the Marine Corps, considered the toughest service branch. He was discharged on December 6, 2012 and received a citation for being an exemplary soldier.
After the merger of their former agency AM Entertainment with SM Entertainment, Hyun's reps announced in November 2012 that the actor and Shin Min-ah have decided to go independent and set up their own management agency O& Entertainment.
It was reported that Bin would be doing his First Sageuk Movie The King's Wrath, , as his comeback project after his 2 years of Compulsory Conscription in MS, with director Lee Jae kyu who was previously known for hits like Damo and Beethoven Virus It also marks the debut for the director in movie-making and this movie marks his first production since his discharge from the military last December.
Personal life 
Hyun was born and raised in Seoul. He has two older brothers. He graduated from Chung-Ang University in 2004 where he majored in Theater Studies. Since 2009 he has been enrolled at the same university for a master's degree.
He briefly dated actress Hwang Ji-hyun from 2006-2007.
In August 2009 Hyun confirmed that he was dating Song Hye-kyo, his co-star in Worlds Within. In March 2011, hours after Hyun's military enlistment, his and Song's agencies confirmed speculation that the couple had broken up.
Hyun Bin was discharged from ROK Marines on Dec 6th, 2012 with thousands of fans from different countries receiving him. The Actor shed tears and bowed infront of all the fans and media. He took a break for 2 months and started his First Asia Fan meeting in various countries like Taiwan, Thailand, Hongkong, Singapore, Shangai, Guangzhou.
Television series 
|Nonstop 4||MBC||Hyun Bin|
|2005||My Lovely Sam Soon||MBC||Hyun Jin-hun|
|2006||The Snow Queen||KBS2||Han Tae-woong/Han Deuk-gu|
|2008||Worlds Within||KBS2||Jung Ji-oh|
|2009||Friend, Our Legend||MBC||Han Dong-soo|
|2010||Secret Garden||SBS||Kim Joo-won|
|2005||Daddy Long Legs||Hyung-joon|
|2006||A Millionaire's First Love||Kang Jae-kyung|
|Come Rain, Come Shine||He|
|2013||The King's Wrath||King Jung Jo|
Music video 
|2006||"Hey U"||Lemon Tree|
|2010||"Dream in My Heart"||Dream in My Heart|
|2011||"Can't Have You"||Friend, Our Legend OST|
|"That Man"||Secret Garden OST|
Awards and nominations 
|2005||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||My Name is Kim Sam-soon||Won|
|Best Couple with Kim Sun-ah||Won|
|2006||42nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Popularity Award (TV)||Won|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||
|Best Couple with Sung Yu-ri||Won|
|2009||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||
|2010||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top Ten Stars Award||Won|
|Best Couple with Ha Ji-won||Won|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Grand Prize for TV||Won|||
|Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|||
- From 2011: Samsung Smart TV
- 2013: Cantata - ready-to-drink instant canned coffee
- 2013: Lotte Department Store, with Girls' Generation
- 2013: K2 outdoor brand
- "Hyun Bin’s dark (embarrassing) history? He shot a TV series only wearing a swimsuit in 2003". Star News. February 24, 2012.
- 10LINE: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. December 2, 2009.
- ‘Samsoon’ last episode hangs on hope. Korea JoongAng Daily. July 22, 2005.
- "Blockbuster Friend to Be Reproduced as TV Series". The Korea Times. July 4, 2008.
- "Movie-Based Dramas to Fill TV Screens". The Korea Times. July 8, 2008.
- Friends, Lawyers to Hit Small Screen. The Korea Times. June 23, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 1. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 2. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 3. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- "Secret Garden" Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 1. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- "Secret Garden" Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 2. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- "Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win Paeksang awards". The Korea Herald. May 29, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win top prizes at Paeksang. 10Asia. May 27, 2011.
- 현빈, 5일째 8개 음원사이트 1위…롱런하나 (Hyun Bin, first place in 8 music sites for the fifth day...long run?) (in Korean). Nate. January 11, 2011.
- Focus: Actor Hyun Bin, this man cries. 10Asia. January 14, 2011.
- Success of 'Secret Garden' Continues to Grow. The Chosun Ilbo. January 21, 2011.
- Hyun Bin emerges as Romeo of the hour. The Korea Times. February 15, 2011.
- Actors Hyun Bin and Lim Soo-jung pose for cameras.... The Korea Times. February 18, 2011.
- "Director Lee defends pace of Berlin’s sole Asian entry". The Korea Herald. February 18, 2011.
- Hyun Bin happiest with invitation to Berlin film fest. 10Asia. January 20, 2011.
- Come Rain invited to Berlinale. The Korea Times. January 21, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Tang Wei Cast in Korea-US Project. The Korea Times. November 5, 2009.
- Actor Hyun Bin is on the rise in America, too. The Korea Times. January 27, 2011.
- Anticipation builds for ‘Late Autumn’ debut. Korea JoongAng Daily. February 11, 2011.
- Interview: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. February 15, 2011.
- Late Autumn becomes the all-time highest grossing Korean film in China. Korean Film Biz Zone. April 13, 2012.
- Late Autumn -- Film Review. The Hollywood Reporter. October 14, 2010.
- Heartthrob Hyun Bin Volunteers for Marines The Chosun Ilbo. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to join Marine Corps. Korea JoongAng Daily. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin passes exam for Marine Corps. 10Asia. January 19, 2011.
- Hyun Bin joins Marine Corps The Korea Times. March 7, 2011.
- Thousands bid farewell to actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. March 7, 2011.
- As actor joins Marines, tears of thousands flow. Korea JoongAng Daily. March 8, 2011.
- Photos of Hyun Bin in military training camp released. 10Asia. March 22, 2011.
- More photos of actor Hyun Bin in training camp revealed. 10Asia. March 31, 2011.
- Photos of actor Hyun Bin into his 3rd week of training revealed. 10Asia. April 8, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to be deployed to NLL. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 20, 2011.
- Hyun Bin fever hits island in Yellow Sea. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 22, 2011.
- "Heartthrob Hyun Bin Completes Mandatory Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin tears up after discharge". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin Discharged from Military Service". KBS Global. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin says, “I missed acting so much”". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin receives a citation for being an exemplary soldier". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "Why Were Hyun Bin, Shin Min Ah Left Out of the SM C&C-AM Entertainment Merger?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. September 9, 2012.
- Hyun Bin to Set Up His Own Agency With Shin Min Ah. Soompi. November 8, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin to Return with His First Sageuk Movie". april 29, 2013.
- "Celebrity Romance Heats Up". The Korea Times. April 17, 2007.
- 송혜교ㆍ현빈 "우리 사랑에 빠졌어요" (Song Hye-kyo & Hyun Bin: "We Fell in Love") (in Korean). Hankook Ilbo. August 5, 2009.
- Hyun and Song Become a Couple. The Korea Times. August 5, 2009.
- ‘Worlds Within’ stars couple up. Korea JoongAng Daily. August 6, 2009.
- 42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations + Winners. Twitch Film. April 14, 2006.
- "Nominees in the 2011 Seoul Drama Awards". Korea Observer. July 26, 2011.
- "Hyun Bin Re-Cast As Samsung Smart TV’s Model". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 17, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin the face of canned coffee". Korea JoongAng Daily. 10 January 10, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Becomes Model for Cantata Coffee". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 11, 2013.