Hywel Teifi Edwards
Hywel Teifi Edwards (15 October 1934 – 4 January 2010) was a Welsh academic and historian, a prominent Welsh nationalist, a broadcaster and an author in the Welsh language. He was the father of the BBC journalist Huw Edwards.
Born and raised in Llanddewi Aber-arth, Ceredigion, Edwards attended Aberaeron Grammar School and the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. He taught Welsh at Garw Grammar School, Pontycymmer, where he met his wife Aerona, before becoming an extramural lecturer in Welsh literature at University of Wales, Swansea, and later Professor and Head of the Welsh Department. He retired from full-time teaching in 1995 but continued to lecture and write books. Edwards was the leading authority on the history of the National Eisteddfod of Wales.
He stood twice for Plaid Cymru as a parliamentary candidate, in Llanelli in 1983 and Carmarthen in 1987. He represented Llangennech on Dyfed County Council for 12 years from 1977, and served for over 30 years as a Plaid Cymru member of Llangennech Community Council.
- Yr Eisteddfod 1176–1976, Gomer Press (1976)
- Gŵyl Gwalia: Yr Eisteddfod yn Oes Aur Victoria 1858–1868, Gomer Press (1980)
- Codi'r hen wlad yn ei hol, 1850–1914, Gomer Press (1989)
- Eisteddfod Ffair y Byd, Chicago, 1893, Gomer Press (1990)
- Arwr glew erwau'r glo, 1850–1950, Gomer Press (1994)
- O'r pentre gwyn i Gwmderi, Gomer Press (2004)
- Hanes Eglwys Bryn Seion, Llangennech (2007)
- The National Pageant of Wales, Gomer Press (2009)
- "Hywel Teifi Edwards, Historian of Victorian Wales and the National Eisteddfod". London: Independent Print Limited. 7 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Gomer Press
- "Hywel Teifi Edwards dies aged 75". BBC News. 5 January 2010.
- Aberystwyth University: Alumni Obituaries
- Rees, D Ben (26 January 2010). "Hywel Teifi Edwards obituary". The Guardian (London).
- Rees, D Ben (26 January 2010). "Hywel Teifi Edwards, an authority on Welsh history and literature". London: Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "Welsh language campaigner Hywel Teifi Edwards dies". BBC Wales. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Hywel Teifi Edwards: Historian of Victorian Wales and the National Eistedfodd". The Independent (London). 7 January 2010.
- Click on Wales: Dylan Iorwerth, "Hurricane from Llangennech", 4 January 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012