I'm About to Come Alive
|I'm About to Come Alive|
|Studio album by David Nail|
|Released||August 18, 2009|
|David Nail chronology|
|Singles from I'm About to Come Alive|
I'm About to Come Alive is the debut album of American country music singer David Nail. It was released on August 18, 2009 via MCA Nashville. The album, produced by Frank Liddell and Mike Wrucke, includes the singles "I'm About to Come Alive," "Red Light" and "Turning Home." Nail wrote or co-wrote four of the songs on the album.
Prior to signing with MCA Nashville in 2009, Nail recorded a self-titled album in 2002 for Mercury Nashville, which is also a division of Universal Music Group Nashville. This album, despite producing a #52-peaking country single in "Memphis," was not released due to staff changes at the label.
The lead-off single is the title track, which was originally recorded by the alternative rock band Train on its 2003 album My Private Nation. Nail's rendition peaked at number 47 on Hot Country Songs in 2008. Followup "Red Light" (which was co-written by Jonathan Singleton) was released in early 2009, and in May it became Nail's first Top 40 country hit, peaking at number 7 in December 2009. "Turning Home" was released in late January 2010 as the third single. This song was co-written by Kenny Chesney, who gave the song to Nail after deciding not to record it for himself.
Frank Liddell and Mike Wrucke, the same producers who work for Miranda Lambert, produced the album. Lambert performs background vocals on the track "Strangers on a Train." Nail wrote or co-wrote four of the album's songs.
Chris Neal of Country Weekly magazine gave the album three-and-a-half stars out of five. He said that "Red Light" set the album's tone, which he described as "the same sort of dusky midtempo groove." The album also received a three-and-a-half star rating from Allmusic critic Thom Jurek, who said that the songs were "free of clichés" and that Nail had "so much soul in his voice that you believe every word."
|1.||"Mississippi"||Scooter Carusoe, Dan Colehour, Chuck Leavell||4:36|
|2.||"I'm About to Come Alive"||Charlie Colin, Rob Hotchkiss, Patrick Monahan, Jimmy Stafford, Scott Underwood, Clint Bennett||4:28|
|3.||"Red Light"||Jonathan Singleton, Dennis Matkosky, Melissa Pierce||4:06|
|4.||"Again"||Carusoe, David Nail||4:21|
|6.||"Summer Job Days"||Gary LeVox, Neil Thrasher, Michael Dulaney||4:11|
|7.||"Strangers on a Train" (featuring Miranda Lambert)||Carusoe, Aimee Mayo||4:08|
|8.||"Looking for a Good Time"||Sean McConnell||5:12|
|9.||"This Time Around"||Nail, Lee Thomas Miller||3:25|
|10.||"Turning Home"||Carusoe, Kenny Chesney||4:59|
- Chris Carmichael - Strings
- Eric Darken - Percussion
- Dan Dugmore - Dobro, Guitar (Steel)
- Fred Eltringham - Drums
- Kenny Greenberg - Guitar (Electric)
- Natalie Hemby - Vocals (Background)
- Jim Hoke - Harmonica
- Jay Joyce - Guitar (Electric)
- Stoney LaRue - Vocals (Background)
- Chuck Leavell - Hammond B3, Piano
- Frank Liddell - Producer
- David Nail - Primary Artist
- Russ Pahl - Guitar (Steel)
- Jeff Roach - Keyboards
- Randy Scruggs - Guitar (Acoustic)
- Oran Thornton - Engineer
- Waddy Wachtel - Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric)
- Glenn Worf - Bass
- Mike Wrucke - Engineer, Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric), Guitar (Steel), Mixing, Producer, Vocals (Background)
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||19|
|U.S. Billboard Top 200||71|
End of year charts
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||73|
|2008||"I'm About to Come Alive"||47||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Jurek, Thom. "I'm About to Come Alive review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Neal, Chris (2009-08-10). "Reviews". Country Weekly 16 (26): 50.
- Watts, Cindy (2010-01-24). "David Nail's success starts at 'Red Light'". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "David Nail fans get "Red Light"". Country Standard Time. 2009-05-12. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "Best of 2010 - Top Country Albums". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Whitburn, Joel (2011). Top Pop Singles 1955–2010. Record Research, Inc. p. 634. ISBN 0-89820-188-8.