I'm No Hero
|I'm No Hero|
|Studio album by Cliff Richard|
|Recorded||May - June 1980 |
|Genre||Pop, MOR, Rock|
|Cliff Richard chronology|
US version of the album
I'm No Hero is a 1980 album by Cliff Richard. It featured the singles "Dreamin'" and "A Little in Love", which were top 20 hits in both the UK and the US.
Following the success of his 1979 single "We Don't Talk Anymore" which was written and arranged by Alan Tarney, the record company were keen to use his services again. For the follow-up album in 1980, he was employed as producer for the entire album. This gave I'm No Hero a cohesive sound but was criticised at the time for being too unadventurous. The songs on the album were similar in style to "We Don't Talk Anymore", but it was also a success, generating two top 20 singles, while the album itself made the top five in the UK.
With the lead single "Dreamin'" released in August 1980, the album came out a few weeks later. "Dreamin'" became a top 10 hit in both the UK and US, while follow-up "A Little in Love", released belatedly in January 1981 reached No.15 in the UK and No.17 in the US. The album itself made No.4 in the UK album charts, but due to the lack of singles, failed to sustain as lengthy a run in the Top 75 as his previous album. The delayed release of the second single was most likely due to the release of "Suddenly", a duet with Olivia Newton-John, which had been featured on the Xanadu soundtrack. This was also a top 20 hit in the UK and US - making this the most successful period for Cliff Richard in the American market.
The album received positive reviews and kept Richard high in the charts during this, his revival period. It was also the last time he would appear in the US top 20. Album track "Give a Little Bit More", which was co-written by Andy Hill, who was about to become famous as writer and producer for Bucks Fizz, was released in some countries as a single, as was "In the Night" - although this wasn't the same as the Barbara Dickson song which was released around the time (and was also produced by Tarney). "Give a Little Bit More" gave Richard a third hit from the album in the US, peaking at No.41.
I'm No Hero was remastered and re-issued on compact disc in July 2001.
- "Take Another Look" (Alan Tarney) 4:11
- "Anything I Can Do" (Alan Tarney) 4:01
- "A Little in Love" (Alan Tarney) 3:42
- "Here (So Doggone Blue)" (Alan Tarney) 3:50
- "Give a Little Bit More" (Andy Hill, Jonathan Hodge) 3:35
- "In the Night" (Rod Bowkett) 3:48
- "I'm No Hero" (Trevor Spencer, Alan Tarney) 3:25
- "Dreamin'" (Leo Sayer, Alan Tarney) 3:40
- "A Heart Will Break" (Trevor Spencer, Alan Tarney) 3:59
- "Everyman" (Alan Tarney) 4:11
Bonus tracks (2001 re-issue):
- "Dynamite" (Ian Ralph Samwell) 3:12
- "Keep on Looking" (Alan Tarney) 3:40
|Release date||Single title||UK Chart peak||US Chart peak||Australia||Ireland|
|January 1981||"A Little in Love"||15||17||66||16|
|May 1981||"Give a Little Bit More"||NR||41||NR|
|Release date||Album title||UK Chart peak||US Chart peak|
|September 1980||I'm No Hero||4||80|
NOTE: NR - not released
- Cliff Richard songs.com - Recording dates
- Allmusic review
- Chartstats.com - "Dreamin'"
- Billboard.com - "Dreamin'"
- Chartstats.com - "A Little in Love"
- Billboard.com - "A Little in Love"
- Chartstats.com - I'm No Hero Chart details
- Allmusic.com - I'm No Hero review
- Rate Your Music.com - "Give a Little Bit More" single
- Hit parade.ch - "In the Night" single
- Billboard.com - "Give a Little Bit More" US Chart details
- CD Universe.com - I'm No Hero CD re-issue