I'm So Excited
|"I'm So Excited"|
|Single by The Pointer Sisters|
|from the album So Excited!|
July 1984 (re-release)
|Format||Vinyl, CD single|
|Genre||Dance-pop, R&B, new wave, post-disco, Hi-NRG, hot|
3:50 (1982 7" version)
3:52 (1984 7" version)
|Writer(s)||Trevor Lawrence, Anita Pointer, June Pointer, Ruth Pointer|
|The Pointer Sisters singles chronology|
"I'm So Excited" is a song performed by American recording artists The Pointer Sisters. Jointly written and composed by The Pointer Sisters in collaboration with Trevor Lawrence, it was originally released in 1982 and saw a re-release in 1984. It is considered to be the group's signature song.
The song was originally recorded for, and appeared on, the Sisters' 1982 album So Excited! and was subsequently released as a single. Upon its release, the single charted at No. 28 on the Billboard Dance Music/Club Play Singles chart, No. 30 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 46 on the Billboard R&B Singles chart.
Two years later, on the group's RIAA-certified multi-platinum album Break Out, a slightly remixed and edited version of the song was included and re-released as a single. This time, it peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 25 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
In 2001, the song was included in the RIAA and National Endowment for the Arts project Songs of the Century, a list intended to "promote a better understanding of America's musical and cultural heritage." The song was ranked #264 out of 365 songs.
The song was featured in the 1982 movie Summer Lovers, though it was not included on the movie's soundtrack. It was also featured in the theatrical and VHS releases of National Lampoon's Vacation but was replaced with the sonically unrelated "Little Boy Sweet" on future versions. Later on, it briefly featured in Eddie Murphy's version of The Nutty Professor (1996).
In 1984, a music video for the remixed version of the song was released. In the clip, the sisters are seen getting ready for a formal party at a high-society club. Anita Pointer is dressing and applying make-up; Ruth Pointer, in nothing but a nightgown, is shown rolling around on her bed and throwing her garments around; and June Pointer is taking a bubble bath. Once the sisters arrive at the club, all three in matching red, glitter dresses, they are photographed, attracting the attention of the other party-goers. By the video's end, they have the club on its feet jamming to the song.
- The pay TV network Showtime utilized many versions of the song in its identity package from 1984 to 1988, with versions of the tune used for bumpers, promos and intros. Similarly, the network slogan was "Showtime Excitement"; the slogan was used frequently, and it was all accompanied by a graphics package of deep blues and purples.
- Melanie C performed "I'm So Excited" in 1994 as her audition for the Spice Girls
- The Estonian singer Marju Länik released a cover in Estonian language titled "Ei võrdset sulle".
- In 1998 and 1999, the Croatian singer Nina Badrić had an international hit with her remake (in English) of "I'm So Excited"; a hit in the Balkan states and Greece, this version also reached number 9 in Italy.
- In 2004, the post-punk band Le Tigre covered "I'm So Excited" on their third album This Island.
- "I'm So Excited" was also covered by Finnish show rock band called Roctum on their debut single "Sandwich" in 2005.
- Australian Big Brother contestant Sara-Marie Fedele, famous for her "bum dance", recorded a version of the song with the girl group Sirens titled "I'm So Excited (The Bum Dance)" in 2001, which reached number 12 in Australia.
- The Australian female group Young Divas included a version of "I'm So Excited" on their second album New Attitude in 2007.
- Sarah Engels remade "I'm So Excited" for her 2011 album Heartbeat.
- A Finnish rendering, "Aina Vain Sexii", was recorded by Hunajamelonit for their 1996 album Hedelmälihaa.
- Poison Sun, a German heavy/power metal band featuring Accept guitarist Herman Frank covered this song on their debut album Virtual Sin in 2010, as did Frank's other band Victory in 2011 on their Don't Talk Science album.
- Lara Fabian performed "I'm So Excited" regularly in the 2007 Night of the Proms concert series.
- In the Drake & Josh episode "The Drake and Josh Inn", Drake invites Josh's boss Helen to come to their house so she can scare away the college kids that came to party at his house. Instead, when she comes over, the MTV crew comes into the living room, and Helen begins to sing this song.
- The New Zealand band HLAH covered it on the second covers disc of their 2000 album Blood on the Honky Tonk Floor.
- The Canadian country singer Carroll Baker released a cover version of the song in 1982, which made the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart. It later appeared on her 1984 album A Step in the Right Direction.
- John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jørgensen danced their Freestyle to this song in season 1 of Dancing with the Stars.
- The eliminated couples from season 10 of the American Dancing with the Stars danced a group Jive to this song in the finale.
- The selection is also well known through its association with the situation comedy Saved by the Bell; in one episode, Jessie Spano (Elizabeth Berkley) becomes addicted to caffeine pills and sings the song as she has a breakdown and recognizes her addiction.
- The selection was used in season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race during the "lip-sync for your life" between Coco Montrese and Jade Jolie, the former being the victor during this elimination. Anita and Ruth Pointer were also featured as guest judges during this episode.
- The selection was used in acclaimed Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar's eponymous 2013 comedy film, as both its English language title and its theme song.
- The Finnish hard rock band Lordi released the cover version of the song as a bonus track on the Japanese version of their seventh studio album Scare Force One in 2014.
- It was covered by the cast of Glee in the season 6 episode "A Wedding".
- Anita Pointer – lead vocals
- Ruth Pointer – backing vocals
- June Pointer – backing vocals
- John Robinson – drums
- Nate Watts – bass
- John Barnes – keyboards
- Amy Hanson. "The Pointer Sisters biography on AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 13, 2013. "Break Out, an album that went multi-platinum due to a string of four state-of-the-art dance-pop singles. "Automatic," "Jump (For My Love)," a remix of 1982's "I'm So Excited," and "Neutron Dance""
- Amy Hanson. "I'm So Excited review on AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 13, 2013. ""I'm so Excited" was an 80s driven, synth and piano heavy slab of new-wave R&B."
- "Youngest Pointer Sister Loses Cancer Battle at 52". IMDb.com, Inc. April 13, 2006. Retrieved July 10, 2013. "The Pointer Sisters (...) really found their niche in the post-disco world, recording smooth tunes like "Slow Hand" and dance floor fillers such as "I'm So Excited.""
- "Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited (Vinyl) at Discogs". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited (Vinyl) at Discogs". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "So Excited". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "The Pointer Sisters". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "Break Out". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "RIAA – Recording Industry Association of America". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "365 Songs of the Century press release". March 7, 2001. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "Songs of the Century by Ranking". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "Summer Lovers Soundtrack". Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "The Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited".
- "australian-charts.com - Sara-Marie and Sirens - I'm So Excited (The Bum Dance)". Hung Medien. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited". Singles Top 60.
- "The Pointer Sisters awards on AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "I'm so excited in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "I'm so excited in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved June 4, 2013. Only one result when searching "I'm so excited (re 1)"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Pointer Sisters search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Pointer Sisters – I'm So Excited". Top 40 Singles.
- "1984 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive – 24th November 1984". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Spanish Top 50 Songs". PROMUSICAE (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.