I'm Still a Guy
|"I'm Still a Guy"|
|Single by Brad Paisley|
|from the album 5th Gear|
|Released||March 3, 2008|
|Format||CD single, music download|
|Length||4:11 (album version)
3:55 (radio version)
Lee Thomas Miller
|Brad Paisley singles chronology|
"I'm Still a Guy" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Brad Paisley. It was released in March 2008 as the fourth single from his album 5th Gear. As with the other three singles from that album, "I'm Still a Guy" reached Number One on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts.
"I'm Still a Guy" is a mid-tempo set in triple meter, written by Paisley along with Kelley Lovelace and Lee Thomas Miller. In the song, the narrator explains to his female companion that he is "still a guy" despite his companion's attempts to correct his stereotypical behavior and society's attempts to apply feminine traits to men.
Paisley said that his intention was to "capture this struggle a little bit between men and women in a playful way". Initially, Paisley was not certain if a female audience would accept the song, so he sang it to his wife, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, who was pregnant at the time. According to Miller, she "laughed long and hard at all the right places".
Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a B- rating. Coyne says that while the song would be great to create energy at a concert, it "lacks the strength to be a viable radio single. Instead, it sounds more like a ditty rather than a substantive song." 
There were 2 videos released for this song, but both of them were live. The 1st version was from the 2008 CMT Music Awards. Hank Williams, Jr. sang the 2nd verse, & more afterwards here. The 2nd version, released to GAC, was an acoustic performance taken from his August 2007 GAC special, "Brad Paisley: 5th Gear." The GAC video for, "Ticks," was also taken from this special. In the special, he sings, "Ticks," right after this song.
- Randle Currie - steel guitar
- Eric Darken - percussion
- Kevin "Swine" Grantt - bass guitar
- Wes Hightower - background vocals
- Gary Hooker - electric guitar
- Gordon Mote - piano
- Brad Paisley - lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar
- Ben Sesar - drums
- Justin Williamson - fiddle
The song debuted at number 48 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated March 8, 2008, moving up to number 28 the next week. It climbed to Number One on the country chart dated May 31, 2008, and stayed there for three weeks, giving Paisley his seventh consecutive Number One single and eleventh overall.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||54|
|US Billboard Hot 100||33|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||10|
"Just Got Started Lovin' You"
by James Otto
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
May 31—June 14, 2008
by Carrie Underwood
- Horner, Alanna (2008-06-30). "Story Behind the Song". Country Weekly 15 (13): 13.
- Coyne, Kevin John (2008-02-19). "Brad Paisley - "I'm Still a Guy"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.