Pennsylvania Route 576
|Pittsburgh Southern Beltway
Map of the route as it exists currently
|Maintained by PTC|
|Length:||6.5 mi (10.5 km)|
|Existed:||October 11, 2006 – present|
|West end:||I-376 in Findlay Township|
|US 30 in Findlay Township|
|US 22 in Robinson Township|
Pennsylvania Route 576 (PA 576), the Southern Beltway, is a partially completed highway in the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Upon completion it will serve as a southern beltway around the metro Pittsburgh area from the Pittsburgh International Airport to the historic Steel Valley of the Monongahela River.
The first section of the highway from Interstate 376 (former PA 60) near Pittsburgh International Airport to U.S. Route 22 opened on October 11, 2006 at 3 p.m. Construction on two additional segments of the beltway that will link US 22 to Interstate 79 and PA Turnpike 43 is pending. Federal approval has been given for both segments. On December 21, 2012, the PTC announced that sections between U.S. Route 22 and I-79 will proceed, with completion projected to occur sometime in 2020. The section of the route between US 22 and I-79 will be the first part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike System to implement all-electronic tolling.
Although PA 576 runs north–south between I-376 and US 22, the route is signed as east–west to reflect the routing that the completed beltway will take.
Like the Mon–Fayette Expressway, the Southern Beltway will have no direct connection to the Pennsylvania Turnpike's mainline despite being built and maintained by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. (Both the tolled section of Interstate 376 and the tolled section of Pennsylvania Route 66 as well as the Northeast Extension have direct connections to the Turnpike's mainline.) Both highways, however, will have indirect connections with the Turnpike's mainline via Interstate 376.
PA 576 begins at an interchange with Interstate 376 at the entrance to Pittsburgh International Airport. The interchange is defined as exit 1 of PA 576. Although the road is signed as east–west, it has a north–south alignment. This is because when it is complete to PA Turnpike 43, it will be more east–west. Paradoxically, the eastbound direction (from US 22 to the airport) is signed as westbound and the westbound direction (from the airport to US 22) is called eastbound.
PA 576 has ramp toll plazas located at the eastbound exit and westbound entrances at exits 2, 4, and 6. All toll plazas are equipped with an electronic fare collection system (E-ZPass) and for cash customers, a dual-height, automated machine for toll collection. As of 2013, the ramp tolls cost $0.75 (raised 50% from $.50) using cash and $0.63 using E-ZPass for passenger vehicles.
When the Southern Beltway is completed around Pittsburgh, it will be signed as Interstate 576. Interstate 576 will also apply to the northeastern branch of the Mon–Fayette Expressway that will extend to Monroeville. Both the Southern Beltway and the Mon–Fayette Expressway are being built to Interstate standards just for such a designation, though the majority of the Mon–Fayette Expressway is signed as PA Turnpike 43, PA 43, or WV 43.
Currently, four exits are open along PA 576.
||Findlay Township||0.0||0.0||1A-B||I-376 – Beaver, Pittsburgh, Airport||Western terminus of highway. Direct entrance into Pittsburgh International Airport|
|0.4||0.6||2||US 30 (Lincoln Highway) – Clinton, Imperial||Toll plaza for motorists entering westbound and exiting eastbound|
|2.7||4.3||4||Westport Road (formerly Santiago-Bavington)||Toll plaza for motorists entering westbound and exiting eastbound|
||Robinson Township||4.2||6.8||6||US 22 – Pittsburgh, Weirton, WV||Toll plaza for motorists entering westbound and exiting eastbound; temporary eastern terminus of highway|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Construction Guide, 10/15/2006". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. October 15, 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-13.
- Gillooly, Amanda. (2012-12-21) Turnpike Commission to Proceed With Beltway Project, Lawmakers Laud the Move - Government - Canon-McMillan, PA Patch. Canon-mcmillan.patch.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-23.
- Schmitz, Jon (December 21, 2012). "Turnpike commission restores plan for Southern Beltway". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "PA Turnpike News Release". Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Retrieved 2006-11-13.
- 2013 Toll Schedule. Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "Mon/Fayette Expressway and Southern Beltway projects: PA Route 60 to U.S. Route 22". Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "Fall Construction Start Eyed For the First Branch of the Southern Beltway, Page 10" (PDF). Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "Toll/Mileage Calculator". Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- PA Turnpike Construction - Mon/Fayette & Southern Beltway Projects
- Pennsylvania Highways: PA Turnpike 576
- Interstate 576 Pennsylvania @ Interstate-Guide.com
- Pennsylvania Highways - Pennsylvania Route 576 Exit Guide