Warning: Display title "<i>i-D</i>" overrides earlier display title "<i>I-D</i>". i-D is a British magazine dedicated to fashion, music, art and youth culture. i-D was founded by designer and former Vogue art director Terry Jones in 1980. The first issue was published in the form of a hand-stapled fanzine with text produced on a typewriter. Over the years the magazine evolved into a mature glossy but it has kept street style and youth central to every issue.
The magazine is known for its innovative photography and typography, and over the years established a reputation as a training ground for fresh talent. Photographers Nick Knight, Wolfgang Tillmans, Juergen Teller, Terry Richardson, Klaus Thymann, Ellen von Unwerth, and Kayt Jones have produced work for i-D. The magazine celebrated its 250th edition at the end of 2004 and its 25th anniversary in 2005. The July Issue of 2009 was the magazines 300th publication, boasting many interesting articles and iconic photography, true to the magazines concept. The content, focused mainly on ideas from past issues and bringing these ideas into 2009. Raquel Zimmerman was the covergirl for this edition.
The magazine pioneered the hybrid style of documentary/fashion photography called The Straight Up. At first, these were of punks and new wave youth found on English streets and who were simply asked to stand against any nearby blank wall. The resulting pictures—the subjects facing the camera and seen from "top to toe"—are a vivid historical documentary photography archive, and have established the posed "straight up" as a valid style of documentary picture-making.
i-D has also held numerous exhibitions worldwide and published several books.
In 1984, Tony Elliott (Time Out) became its publishing partner with 51% share of the company. Terry remained editor-in-chief and creative director, but he also worked on other commercial projects. In 2004, Terry - together with his wife, Tricia - regained total control of the company.
i-D's silver anniversary in 2005 was celebrated with an exhibition (i-Dentity) and guest-edited issues. Terry invited a number of creative collaborators to work with him on different issues, around the central theme of identity.
- Ashley Heath (February 2005 issue)
- M/M Paris (March 2005 issue)
- Alex McDowell (July 2005 issue)
- Simon Foxton and Stephen Male (August 2005)
- Nick Knight (October 2005 issue)
- David Lipman (November 2005 issue)
- Peter Saville (December 2005).
All issues published in 2005 were marked with a silver spine. And for its birthday month (August 1980 was the first issue), four covers of the September 2005 issue were published.
Stars Of i-D Magazine
i-D features people in fashion, music, art, clubs, film and every other creative field, and has prided itself on being the first to scout talents such as Wolfgang Tillmans, Nick Knight, Dylan Jones, Juergen Teller, Caryn Franklin and Craig McDean, who all started their careers here. Madonna, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, Kanye West, Helmut Lang, Franz Ferdinand, Chloë Sevigny, Raf Simons, Undercover, Veronique Branquinho, Lily Cole, Giles Deacon, Dizzee Rascal, Scarlett Johansson, Rick Owens, Selena Gomez and Tadanobu Asano are amongst those who have appeared in i-D.
The editors of i-D have been:
- Terry Jones (1980–present)
- Dylan Jones (1986–1988)
- Caryn Franklin (1986–1988)
- Alix Sharkey (1988–1989)
- John Godfrey (1988–1990)
- Matthew Collin (1991–1994)
- Avril Mair (1994–2005)
- Glenn Waldron (2005–2006)
- Ben Reardon (2006–2010)
- Holly Shackleton (2010–Present)
- Edited by John Godfrey (1990). A Decade of i-Deas, the Encyclopaedia of the '80s. Compiled and Produced by i-D Magazine, Penguin Book, London ISBN 0-14-012952-9
- Terry and Tricia Jones, and Avril Mair (1998). Family Future Positive. i-D, London. ISBN 978-0-9512928-0-8.
- Terry and Tricia Jones, and Avril Mair (1999). Beyond Price. i-D, London. ISBN 9771468339001.
- Terry Jones (2001). SMILE i-D. Fashion and Style. 20 years of i-D magazine. i-D, London 2000 / Taschen, Cologne. ISBN 3-8228-5778-5.
- Terry and Tricia Jones, and Avril Mair (2001). Learn and Pass It On. i-D, London. ISBN 9771468339018.
- Terry Jones and Avril Mair (2003). Fashion Now. i-D selects the world's 150 most important designers. Taschen, Cologne. ISBN 3-8228-2187-X.
- Terry Jones and Susie Rushton (2005). Fashion Now 2. i-D selects the world's 160 most important designers. Taschen, Cologne. ISBN 3-8228-4241-9.
- Terry and Tricia Jones (2007). Safe+Sound. i-D, London. ISBN 978-0-9552174-1-8.
Initially launched in 2001 to celebrate i-D's 20th birthday, Smile i-D highlights the spirit of the magazine. Since then, the show has continued to tour internationally, growing with each destination to include new material.
- London, Wapping Hydraulic Power Station, April 2001.
- Milan, Armani flagship store, June 2001.
- Paris, Espace Cardin, October 2001.
- New York, Art Directors Club, November 2001.
- Buenos Aires, El Dorrego, October/November 2003.
- Mexico City, Laboratorio Arte Alameda, February 2004.
- Santiago, Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, April 2004.
- Caracas, Corp Banca, July 2004.
- Moscow, “+7.095.Art” gallery, April 2007.
The exhibition focused on identity, using still images, film, sound and smell to explore the theme. It was launched at the Fashion and Textile Museum in London in October 2005 to celebrate i-D's 25th anniversary.
- London, December 2005.
- New York, February 2006.
- Hong Kong, April 2006.
- Tokyo, April 2006.
- Beijing, May 2006.