|Motto in English||Pragmatic and Innovative|
|Established||1986 (as Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute)
1997 (as ISU)
|President||Dr. Jei-fu Shaw (蕭介夫)|
|Vice-president||Mr. Jih-rong Yen (顏志榮)
Dr. Julia L. Lin (林麗娟)
Dr. Yung-sheng Huang (黃永勝)
|Provost||Dr. Chyi Hwang (黃奇)|
|Dean||Dr. Chin-wen Chuang (莊景文)
Dr. Yuh-wern Wu (吳裕文)
Dr. Tai-kuang Peng (彭台光)
Dr. Julia L. Lin (林麗娟)
Dr. Kuo-hsiang Chen (陳國祥)
Dr. Yung-sheng Huang (黃永勝)
Dr. Pen-shui Liao (廖本瑞)
Dr. Chao-tien Hsu (許朝添)
|Founder||Mr. I-shou Lin(林義守)|
No. 8, Yida Rd.,
Kaoshiung City 82445,
|Former names||Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute (高雄工學院)|
|Affiliations||E United Group(義联集團)|
I-Shou University (ISU; Chinese: 義守大學; pinyin: Yìshǒu Dàxué) is a private university located in Dashu District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. ISU currently has 8 colleges, 41 departments, 18 master's programs, and 7 doctoral programs. The Division of Continuing Education has 16 undergraduate programs, 10 in-service master's programs, 2 two-year in-service programs, and 3 bachelor's degree programs for indigenous peoples. ISU has an R.O.C-nationality student body of some 16,000 and international student based on at least 2,000 per year, as well as 563 full-time faculty members.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Objectives and Vision
- 4 Campus
- 5 Location
- 6 Overseas Students
- 7 Research
- 8 External links
ISU was originally founded in 1986 as Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute (Chinese: 高雄工學院) by Mr. I-shou Lin, Chairman of the E United Group. It started to recruit students in 1990, and was later renamed in 1997 as I-Shou University.
- 1986：Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute was founded.
- 1990：Initial student recruitment.
- 1997：The Institute was renamed as I-Shou University.
- 2009：The International College was established in order to provide students to learn in an English-speaking environment.
- 2011：The College of Communication and Design and The College of Tourism and Hospitality were established.
- 2012：Initial student recruitment for the Indigenous Program of the College of Communication & Design and the Indigenous Program of the College of Tourism & Hospitality.
- 2013：Initial student recruitment for the School of Medicine for International Students. The College of Medicine was established in September, 2013.
- Academic and Industrial Resources Supported by E United Group
E United Group, to which ISU is affiliated, engages in the businesses of manufacturing, medical services, education as well as real estate & leisure development. With the generous financial support from E United Group, ISU equipment and facilities that are unparalleled among other universities in Taiwan.
- Industry-University Collaboration with 350 Business Entities
About 350 business entities working hand in hand with ISU in the form of industry-university collaboration, including industries of technology, electronics, medical services, iron & steel, hospitality, department stores, and hotels.
- Immediate Surroundings
E United Group has made a massive investment to develop E-DA World, an entertainment hub for ISU students, staff, faculty members, and residents who live nearby.
- Internship Opportunities
Bountiful resources from E United Group allow students to have practical experience in affiliated organization, such as E-DA hospital, International Houses I&II and City Light Restaurant.
- International College: A Total Immersion Learning Environment in English
The International College was established in 2009 to cultivate promising young talents in international affairs in and English-speaking environment. Students credit courses or double degree programs at partner universities overseas are also offered by the International College. Internships for students in the junior year are also available at partner universities in the U.K., the U.S., Australia, Asia, etc.
Objectives and Vision
ISU aims to be an international comprehensive university that champions Intellectual innovation, Social engagement, and Universal sustainability.
Excellent Teaching, Featured Research, Excellent Service, International Connections
- Educational Objective
Nurturing students to become pragmatic and innovative professionals who have good manners, behave with integrity, and always show their dynamism
- University-level Core Competences
Professional Expertise, Global Perspective, Information Technology, Innovation & Integration
- University-level Humanism Qualities
Social Awareness, Ethic & Morality, Life Attitudes
- College of Electrical and Information Engineering
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Management
- College of Communication and Design
- International College
- College of Tourism and Hospitality
- College of Language Arts
- Center for General Education
Medical Campus (Yanchao)
- College of Medicine
- Department of Biological Science and Technology
- Department of Nutrition
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Department of Healthcare Administration
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Health Management
- Department of Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences
- Department of Physical Therapy
- School of Chinese Medicine for Post Baccalaureate
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Medicine for International Students
The number of overseas students has steadily increased over the past few years. ISU holds orientations for international students, overseas compatriot students and mainland Chinese students. ISU also offers airport pickup services to freshman students and help international students purchase daily necessities and help them get familiar with the neighborhood.
- International Students:The total number of international students in the Academic Year 2012 was 366 (321 undergraduate students, 44 master's students and one PhD student).
- Overseas Compatriot Students and Hong Kong & Macau Students: The total number of overseas compatriot students and Hong Kong & Macau students in the Academic Year 2012 was 205.
- Students from Mainland China: The total number of degree students from mainland China in the Academic Year 2012 was 38.
- Admission Information for International Students
- Office of International Affairs
- Office of Cross-Strait Affairs
- Scholarships for International Students
Search & Discovery published on a regular basis, reports the latest R&D achievements of ISU and E-Da Hospital, including medicine, technology, nano science and metals.
- I-Shou University Official Site
- I-Shou University Official Facebook Page
- I-Shou University (Study in Taiwan)