IATA delay codes
Previously every airline had its own system, thus IATA standardized the format of transmission of delay information into delay codes. These delay codes express who is responsible for the delay and who will be penalized. Normally, these codes are used in movement messages sent by SITA Telex from the departure airport to the destination airport.
An aircraft on ground costs money, therefore airlines make an effort to minimize ground time. Very often, airlines and aircraft ground handling have contracts based on a Bonus-Malus system, e..g., penalizing the handling agent for delays caused by his staff. Several groups of delay codes are qualified as station delays or airport delays.
- 1 Delay Codes starting with 0 (internal)
- 2 Delay Codes starting with 1 (passenger/baggage)
- 3 Delay Codes starting with 2 (cargo/mail)
- 4 Delay Codes starting with 3 (handling)
- 5 Delay Codes starting with 4 (technical)
- 6 Delay Codes starting with 5 (damage/failure)
- 7 Delay Codes starting with 6 (operation)
- 8 Delay Codes starting with 7 (weather)
- 9 Delay Codes starting with 8 (air traffic control)
- 10 Delay Codes starting with 9 (miscellaneous)
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Delay Codes starting with 0 (internal)
Delay codes starting with 0 are used for internal airline purposes. Airlines are free to define these codes and to determine particular application fields.
However the following codes are standard, even if some airlines do not use them:
- 00–05: These codes are left blank so that each airline may develop codes specifically to meet their own individual requirements, e.g., 03: "Three-class system" moving curtain.
- 06: No gate/stand availability due to own airline activity
- 07: Aircraft connection by maintenance
- 08: Aircraft connection by miscellaneous, traffic, marketing flight operations, ground handling, cabin services, etc.
- 09: Scheduled ground time less than declared minimum ground time
Delay Codes starting with 1 (passenger/baggage)
- 11: Late check-in, acceptance of passengers after deadline
- 12: Late Check-in, congestion in check-in area
- 13: Check-in error
- 14: Overbooking, booking errors
- 15: Boarding, discrepancies and paging, missing checked-in passenger at gate
- 16: Commercial Publicity, Passenger Convenience, VIP, Press, Ground meals and missing personal items
- 17: Catering order, late or incorrect order given to supplier
- 18: Baggage processing, sorting, etc.
- 19: Reduced Mobility, Boarding/Deboarding of passengers with reduced mobility
Delay Codes starting with 2 (cargo/mail)
- 21: A Documentation, errors, etc.
- 22: Late positioning
- 23: Late acceptance
- 24: Inadequate packing
- 25: Overbooking, booking errors
- 26: Late preparation in warehouse
- 27: Mail Oversales, packing, etc.
- 28: Mail Late positioning
- 29: Mail Late acceptance
Delay Codes starting with 3 (handling)
These Codes are used to describe delays caused by aircraft and ramp handling
- 31: Aircraft documentation late or inaccurate, weight and balance (Loadsheet), general declaration, passenger manifest, etc.
- 32: Loading, Unloading, bulky/special load, cabin load, lack of loading staff
- 33: Loading Equipment, lack of or breakdown, e.g. container pallet loader, lack of staff
- 34: Servicing Equipment, lack of or breakdown, lack of staff, e.g. steps
- 35: Aircraft Cleaning
- 36: Fuelling, Defuelling, fuel supplier
- 37: Catering, late delivery or loading
- 38: ULD, Containers, pallets, lack of or breakdown
- 39: Technical equipment, lack of or breakdown, lack of staff, e.g. pushback
Delay Codes starting with 4 (technical)
These codes are used to describe technical delay reasons.
- 41: Aircraft defects
- 42: Scheduled maintenance, late release
- 43: Non-scheduled maintenance, special checks and / or additional works beyond normal maintenance
- 44: Spares and maintenance equipment, lack of or breakdown
- 45: AOG (Aircraft on ground for technical reasons) Spares, to be carried to another station
- 46: Aircraft change for technical reasons
- 47: Standby aircraft, lack of planned standby aircraft for technical reasons
- 48: Scheduled cabin configuration and version adjustment
Delay Codes starting with 5 (damage/failure)
These Codes are used to describe damage to aircraft and automated equipment failure.
- 51: Damage during flight operations, bird or lightning strike, turbulence, heavy or overweight landing
- 52: Damage during ground operations, collisions (other than during taxiing, loading/offloading damage, contamination, towing, extreme weather conditions
- 55: Departure Control System, Check-in, weight and balance (loadcontrol), computer system error, baggage sorting, gate-reader error or problems
- 56: Cargo preparation/documentation system
- 57: Flight plans
- 58: Other computer systems
Delay Codes starting with 6 (operation)
- 61: Flight plan, late completion or change of flight documentation
- 62: Operational requirements, fuel, load alteration
- 63: Late crew boarding or departure procedures
- 64: Flight deck crew shortage, Crew rest
- 65: Flight deck crew special request or error
- 66: Late cabin crew boarding or departure procedures
- 67: Cabin crew shortage
- 68: Cabin crew error or special request
- 69: Captain request for security check, extraordinary
Delay Codes starting with 7 (weather)
These Codes explain weather caused delays.
- 71: Departure station
- 72: Destination station
- 73: Enroute or Alternate
- 75: De-Icing of aircraft, removal of ice/snow, frost prevention
- 76: Removal of snow/ice/water/sand from airport/runway
- 77: Aircraft ground handling impaired by adverse weather conditions
Delay Codes starting with 8 (air traffic control)
These Codes are used for Air Traffic Control (ATC) Restrictions (81-84) and Airport or Governmental Authorities caused delays.
- 81: ATC restriction en-route or capacity
- 82: ATC restriction due to staff shortage or equipment failure en-route
- 83: ATC restriction at destination
- 84: ATC restriction due to weather at destination
- 85: Mandatory security
- 86: Immigration, Customs, Health
- 87: Airport Facilities, parking stands, ramp congestion, buildings, gate limitations, ...
- 88: Restrictions at airport of destination, airport/runway closed due obstruction, industrial action, staff shortage, political unrest, noise abatement, night curfew, special flights, ...
- 89: Restrictions at airport of departure, airport/runway closed due obstruction, industrial action, staff shortage, political unrest, noise abatement, night curfew, special flights, start-up and pushback, ...
Delay Codes starting with 9 (miscellaneous)
Codes used for reactionary reasons or Miscellaneous.
- 91: Passenger or Load Connection, awaiting load or passengers from another flight. Protection of stranded passengers onto a new flight.
- 92: Through Check-in error, passenger and bagage
- 93: Aircraft rotation
- 94: Cabin crew rotation
- 95: Crew rotation (entire or cockpit crew)
- 96: Operations control, rerouting, diversion, consolidation, aircraft change for reasons other than technical
- 97: Industrial action within own airline
- 98: Industrial action outside own airline
- 99: Miscellaneous, not elsewhere specified