Tivoli Management Framework
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2008)|
|Type||Software framework for Network management|
Tivoli Management Framework (TMF) is a CORBA-based systems and network management framework from IBM, previously developed by Tivoli Systems, Inc. a software company which was acquired by IBM in 1996 and moved into IBM's Software Group division.
It allows administrators to manage large numbers of remote locations or devices.
Products that use IBM Tivoli framework
- Configuration Manager - Provides hardware and software Inventory and Software Distribution capabilities. Followup as a non-TMF version or incorporated with other software with similar functionality.
- Distributed Monitoring Classic (DM) - Provides agent based monitoring capabilities. Still widely used by customers. Replaced with IBM/Tivoli Monitoring (formerly Candle, not based on TMF) and IBM/Netcool OMNIBus family (also not framework product).
- Enterprise Console (TEC) - Provides enterprise class event management handling and correlation. Still widely used by customers, but EOMed by IBM in late 2008 and EOSed in September 2013. A possible followup: IBM Tivoli Netcool OMNIbus family (not based on TMF).
- NetView - for network management; utilizes SNMP; can use TMF or not. EOSed by IBM in late 2008. Possible followup: IBM Tivoli Network Manager (Netcool Precision, not based on TMF)
IBM acquired Micromuse, the original producer of Netcool, in February, 2006. IBM loosely retains the Netcool branding of the company's network management and event management products under the larger Tivoli brand.
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus operations management software consolidates complex IT and network operation management tasks as the primary event management platform within the suite. 
IBM Tivoli NetView for z/OS program provides functions to help maintain the highest degree of availability for IBM System z® networks. It offers an extensive set of tools for managing and maintaining complex, multi-vendor, multi-platform networks and systems from a single point of control. It provides advanced correlation facilities to automate any network or system event and provides support for both TCP/IP and SNA networks. It also provides a set of user interfaces to meet the needs of any user and management functions that work with other products to provide a complete picture of your networks and systems. Netview for z/OS is also used by other IBM Software Group solutions to provide automation solutions. NetView for z/OS has a solid set of capabilities that have been continuously expanded over the last 25 plus years.
These NetView for z/OS capabilities result in the following benefits:
- Increased network and system efficiency and availability
- Centralized management for TCP/IP and SNA network environments, which reduces the need for duplicate network management systems
- Enhanced operations and message management support to improve and simplify operator interactions and to provide more control in automating and managing day-to-day operations
- Management of larger networks, more resources, and more systems with fewer resources and personnel
With open application programming interfaces, the NetView program can be an integration point for both z/OS and distributed vendors. The NetView program enables the management of networks and systems through graphical display and automation. It reduces the need for manual resource definition and complex automation setup through production-ready automation and extends centralized management into multiple network environments. The NetView program can be used in an enterprise as a centralized manager, a mid-level manager, or a z/OS management endpoint.
The NetView for z/OS program helps maintain system availability and streamline support by consolidating TCP/IP and SNA information from across your enterprise and providing a single platform for automating problem diagnosis. The NetView program can quickly guide support personnel to an appropriate response or even respond automatically.
The NetView program provides the following major capabilities:
- IP Management
- Sysplex and System Management
- Enterprise Integration
- SNA Management
- "IBM News room - 2006-02-15 IBM Completes Acquisition of Micromuse Inc. - United States". 03.ibm.com. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- "IBM - Operations Management software - Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus - Software". 01.ibm.com. Retrieved 2012-10-01.