IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2009)|
|Stable release||126.96.36.199 / June 21, 2013|
WebSphere Application Server Community Edition (from now on WASCE) is a free, certified Java EE 6 application server for building and managing Java applications. It is IBM's supported distribution of Apache Geronimo that uses Tomcat for servlet container and Axis 2 for web services. Other difference from Apache Geronimo is that WASCE comes with DB2 and Informix database drivers, better XML parser libraries (XML4J and XLXP) and contains the latest patches from unreleased upstream versions. Over 30 WASCE developers are committers in the Apache Geronimo project.
- Java EE 6 programming model.
- Eclipse plug-in for developers.
- Embedded Apache Derby database. External database support for IBM DB2, Informix, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- "Customizable application server software that features a small footprint, making it easier to download and manage", saving on system resources and improving performance by allowing you to dynamically enable GBean-based components.
- Centralized user management to support systems administration and deployed applications based on Java Authorization Contract for Containers (JACC) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) authentication.
End of Support
IBM announced that September 20, 2013, WASCE will be withdrawn from marketing and support will be withdrawn September 30, 2016.
- Apache Geronimo
- JBoss application server
- IBM WebSphere Application Server
- Comparison of application servers
- Home | Free download | System Requirements | Support
- User Guide
- Apache Geronimo tutorials
- Essentials of WebSphere Application Server Community Edition.
- WASCE community forum and Apache Geronimo forum
- join Apache Geronimo community
- WebSphere Application Server Community Edition developersWorks space
- Kick-start your application development (free package for J2EE development)
- Geronimo resources area at IBM developerWorks
- WebSphere Application Server Community Edition resources area at IBM developerWorks
- Migrating from Tomcat Version 6.0 to WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V2.1
- What's new in WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V2.0
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V2.1, built on the Apache Geronimo project, offers a fast and inexpensive way to develop and deploy Java EE 5 applications
- What’s new in WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V2.1
- Software withdrawal and support discontinuance: IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Editions V2.1 and V3.0 and Entry Support for Apache Geronimo
- "Geronimo Committers"
- "IBM Unveils Open Source WebSphere Application Server", eBiz: The Insider's Guide to Business and IT Agility, October 26, 2005
- Withdrawal Announcement