SCE Worldwide Studios
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Type||Division of Sony Computer Entertainment|
Computer and video games
|Founded||September 14, 2005|
|Number of locations||United States,
|Key people||Shuhei Yoshida (President)|
|Parent||Sony Computer Entertainment|
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, officially abbreviated SCE Worldwide Studios, is a group of video game developers owned by Sony Computer Entertainment which was established in 2005. It is a single internal entity overseeing all wholly owned development studios within SCE. It is responsible for the creative and strategic direction of development and production of all computer entertainment software by all SCE-owned studios, all of which is produced exclusively for the PlayStation family of consoles.
- Guerrilla Games, developers of the Killzone series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- 989 Studios, developers of various sport games, was closed.
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios, developers of the MotorStorm series and Pursuit Force series, were acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Media Molecule, developers of the PlayStation 3 game LittleBigPlanet, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Sucker Punch Productions, developers of the Sly Cooper series and Infamous series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Bigbig Studios, developers of the Pursuit Force series, was closed.
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM, MAG and Unit 13 series, was closed.
- SCE Studio Liverpool - developer of the Wipeout series, was closed.
- Sony renames SCE Cambridge Studio to "Guerrilla Cambridge" studios; now will be a sister studio to Guerrilla Games.
SCE Worldwide Studios contains seventeen production studios worldwide:
- SCE Japan Studio - Tokyo, Japan.
- Team Ico part of Japan Studio. Creators of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.
- Project Siren part of Japan Studio. Creators of Siren and Gravity Rush.
- PlayStation C.A.M.P. - Creator Audition Mash-up Project part of Japan Studio, that collaborates with various independent developers. Creators of Tokyo Jungle and Rain.
- J.S.E.D.D. - Japan Studio External Development Department part of Japan Studio, that usually collaborates with various well-known development studios. Creators of Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars.
- Polyphony Digital - Tokyo, Japan. Creators of Gran Turismo.
- Naughty Dog - Santa Monica, California, USA
- SCE Bend Studio - Bend, Oregon, USA
- SCE Foster City Studio - Foster City, California, USA
- SCE San Diego Studio - San Diego, California, USA
- SCE Santa Monica Studio - Santa Monica, California, USA
- Sucker Punch Productions - Bellevue, Washington, USA
- Evolution Studios - Runcorn, UK
- Guerrilla Games - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Guerrilla Cambridge - Cambridge, UK
- SCE London Studio - London, UK
- Media Molecule - Surrey, UK
Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The term ICE originally stands for Initiative for a Common Engine which describes the original purpose of the studio. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.
XDev team manages Sony published titles from independent development studios. The Studio Liverpool based XDev has helped to create and publish, titles such as LittleBigPlanet, the Buzz! series, and Heavenly Sword. XDev offers a range of support from funding to full production and community management.
SN Systems is a provider of Windows development tools for games consoles, including the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 1, PlayStation Vita, and PSP. SN Systems was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. in 2005, to provide tools for the PlayStation 3, and future consoles.
SCEE R&D are technical experts on topics relating to any of the PlayStation platforms. The group is unique in that we report directly to both SCEE Central as well as the Tokyo-based SCEI R&D Organisation that designs PlayStation hardware. They not create games; however, they supply the raw technical materials that game developers need to create games.
- "SCE Establishes SCE Worldwide Studios" (PDF) (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. September 14, 2005. Retrieved 2005-09-14.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Guerrilla Games" (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. December 8, 2005. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Zipper Interactive" (Press release). Foster City: Sony Computer Entertainment. January 24, 2006. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios" (Press release). Tokyo: Sony Computer Entertainment. September 20, 2007. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Media Molecule." (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. March 2, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Sucker Punch Productions" (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. August 2, 2011.
- http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-close-studio-liverpool[dead link]
- Zuylen, Victor (December 24, 2012). "Happy Holidays from Guerrilla Games!". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- Mark Cerny's "Road to the PS4" @ Gamelab 2013. YouTube (2013-06-27). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Naughty Dog Careers. Naughtydog.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Sony’s Secret Super Development Team. PS3 Attitude (2009-06-05). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO START PROVIDING PRODG TOOLS FOR PLAYSTATION ® 3 GAME CONTENT DEVELOPMENT". Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Retrieved September 27, 2005.