List of integrated circuit packaging types
Integrated circuits are put into protective packages to allow easy handling and assembly onto printed circuit boards and to protect the devices from damage. A very large number of different types of package exist. Some package types have standardized dimensions and tolerances, and are registered with trade industry associations such as JEDEC and Pro Electron. Other types are proprietary designations that may be made by only one or two manufacturers. Integrated circuit packaging is the last assembly process before testing and shipping devices to customers.
Occasionally specially-processed integrated circuit dies are prepared for direct connections to a substrate without an intermediate header or carrier. In flip chip systems the IC is connected by solder bumps to a substrate. In beam-lead technology, the metallized pads that would be used for wire bonding connections in a conventional chip are thickened and extended to allow external connections to the circuit. Assemblies using "bare" chips have additional packaging or filling with epoxy to protect the devices from moisture.
- Single in-line package: SIP
- Dual in-line package (DIP) (.1" pin spacing, rows .3" or .6" apart)
- CDIP: Ceramic DIP
- CERDIP: glass sealed ceramic DIP
- QIP: Quadruple in-line package, like DIP but with staggered (zig-zag) pins.
- SDIP: Skinny DIP (standard DIP with .1" pin spacing, rows .3" apart)
- ZIP: Zig-zag in-line package
- MDIP: Molded DIP
- PDIP: Plastic DIP
||It has been suggested that portions of Surface-mount technology#Packages be moved or incorporated into this article. (Discuss)|
- CCGA: ceramic column grid array (CGA) 
- CGA: column grid array 
- CERPACK: ceramic package 
- LLP: Lead Less lead frame Package, a package with metric pin distribution (0.5 mm - 0.8 mm pitch) 
- LGA: Land Grid Array 
- LTCC: Low temperature co-fired ceramic 
- MCM: Multi-Chip Module 
- MICRO SMDXT: micro Surface Mount Device extended technology 
A chip carrier is a rectangular package with contacts on all four edges. Leaded chip carriers have metal leads wrapped around the edge of the package, in the shape of a letter J. Leadless chip carriers have metal pads on the edges. Chip carrier packages may be made of ceramic or plastic and are usually secured to a printed circuit board by soldering, though sockets can be used for testing.
- BCC: Bump Chip Carrier 
- CLCC: Ceramic Leadless Chip Carrier 
- LCC: Leadless Chip Carrier, contacts are recessed vertically.
- LCC: Leaded Chip Carrier 
- LCCC: Leaded Ceramic Chip Carrier 
- DLCC: Dual Lead-Less Chip Carrier (Ceramic) 
- PLCC: Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier 
Pin grid arrays
- OPGA: Organic Pin Grid Array
- FCPGA: Flip-chip Pin Grid Array 
- PAC: Pin Array Cartridge 
- PGA: Pin grid array (also known as PPGA) 
- CPGA: Ceramic Pin Grid Array 
- Flatpack, early metal/ceramic case with flat leads
- CFP: Ceramic Flat Pack 
- CQFP: ceramic quad flat-pack, similar to PQFP 
- BQFP: Bumpered Quad Flat Pack 
- DFN: Dual Flat Pack, No Lead 
- ETQFP: Exposed Thin Quad Flat Package 
- PQFN: power quad flat-pack, no-leads, with exposed die-pad[s] for heatsinking 
- PQFP: Plastic quad flat package 
- LQFP: Low-profile Quad Flat Package 
- QFN: Quad Flat No Leads, also called micro lead frame (MLF).
- Quad Flat Package: (QFP) 
- MQFP - Metric Quad Flat Pack,a QFP with metric pin distribution 
- HVQFN: Heat-sink very-thin quad flat-pack no-leads
- TQFP: Thin Quad Flat Pack 
- TQFN: Thin Quad Flat No-Lead
- VQFP: Very-thin Quad Flat Pack 
Small outline packages
- CSOP: ceramic SOP
- MSOP: Mini Small-Outline Package
- PSOP: Plastic small-outline package 
- PSON: Plastic small-outline no lead package
- QSOP: Quarter-Size Small-Outline package, with pin spacing of 0.635 mm.
- SOIC: Small Outline Integrated Circuit (Also SOIC NARROW and SOIC WIDE).
- SOP: Small Outline Package 
- SSOP: Shrink Small-Outline Package 
- TSOP: Thin Small-outline Package 
- TSSOP: Thin Shrink Small Outline Package 
- TVSOP: Thin Very Small-Outline Package 
- µMAX: Similar to a SOIC. (A Maxim trademark example)
- WSON: Very Very Thin Small Outline No Lead Package
- CSP: Chip Scale Package (package no more than 1.2x the size of the silicon chip) 
- TCSP: True Chip Size Package (package is same size as silicon) 
- TDSP: True Die Size Package (same as TCSP) 
- MICRO SMD: a chip-size package (CSP) developed by National Semiconductor 
- COB: chip-on-board; a bare silicon chip, that is usually an integrated circuit, is supplied without a package.
- COF: chip-on-flex; a variation of COB, where a chip is mounted directly to a flex circuit.
- COG: chip-on-glass; a variation of COB, where a chip is mounted directly to a piece of glass - typically an LCD.
Ball grid array
- FBGA: fine pitch ball grid array, with a square or rectangular array of solder balls on one surface 
- LBGA : Low Profile Ball Grid Array (see BGA) (also Laminate Ball Grid Array) 
- TEPBGA: Thermally Enhanced Plastic BGA.
- CBGA: Ceramic Ball Grid Array 
- OBGA: Organic Ball Grid Array 
- TFBGA - thin fine pitch BGA.
- PBGA: Plastic Ball Grid Array 
- MAP-BGA: Mold Array Process-Ball Grid Array 
- UCSP: Similar to a BGA (A Maxim trademark example) 
- μBGA - micro-BGA (Ball grid array), with ball spacing less than 1 mm
- LFBGA - low profile fine pitch ball grid array 
- TBGA: Thin Ball Grid Array 
- SBGA: Super BGA - above 500 Pin count 
- UFBGA: Ultra Fine BGA 
Transistor, diode, small pin count IC packages
- MELF: Metal Electrode Leadless Face (usually for resistors and diodes)
- SOD: Small Outline Diode.
- SOT: Small Outline Transistor (also SOT-23, SOT-223, SOT-323).
- TO-XX: wide range of small pin count packages often used for discrete parts like transistors or diodes.
- TO-18: metal can package with radial leads
- TO-92: plastic encapsulated package with three leads
- TO-220: through-hole plastic package with a (usually) metal heat sink tab and three leads
- TO-226 
- TO-247 
- TO-252 (also called SOT428, DPAK)
- TO-263, also called D2PAK: SMT package similar to the TO-220
- TO-263 THIN
- IPC (electronics)
- List of chip carriers
- List of electronics package dimensions
- Surface-mounted package sizes
- Wafer-level packaging
- "CPU Collection Museum - Chip Package Information". The CPU Shack. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Integrated Circuit, IC Package Types; SOIC. Surface Mount Device Package". Interfacebus.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "National Semiconductor CERPACK Package Products". National.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "National Semiconductor CQGP Package Products". National.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "National's LLP Package". National.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "LTCC Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic". Minicaps.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "IEEE Xplore - Performance evaluation of MCM chip-to-chip interconnections using custom I/O buffer designs". Ieeexplore.ieee.org. doi:10.1109/ASIC.1993.410760. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "National Semiconductor Launches New Generation of Ultra-Miniature, High Pin-Count Integrated Circuit Packages". National.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- Meyers, Michael; Jernigan, Scott (2004). Mike Meyers' A+ Guide to PC Hardware. The McGraw-Hill Companies. ISBN 978-0-07-223119-9.
- [dead link]
- "Press Releases - Motorola Mobility, Inc". Motorola.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Xilinx new CPLDs with two I/O banks". Eetasia.com. 2004-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Packages". Chelseatech.com. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "CSP - Chip Scale Package". Siliconfareast.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Understanding Flip-Chip and Chip-Scale Package Technologies and Their Applications - Maxim". Maxim-ic.com. 2007-04-18. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Chip Scale Review Online". Chipscalereview.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Packaging Technology | National Semiconductor – Package Drawings, Part Marking, Package Codes, LLP, micro SMD, Micro-Array". National.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- NXP. "SOT428".
- JEDEC JEP95 official list of all (over 500) standard electronic packages
- fairchildsemi.com - Fairchild Semiconductor Index of Discrete Packages
- SiliconFarEast - An illustrated listing of different package types, with links to typical dimensions/features of each