The characteristics specified include:
- Physical dimensions
- Resistance to bending, flame, chemicals, temperature and humidity
The standard includes test methods for resistance to heat.
Card sizes 
The standard defines four card sizes: ID-1, ID-2, ID-3 and ID-000.
|ID-1||85.60 × 53.98 mm||Most banking cards and ID cards|
|ID-2||105 × 74 mm||German ID cards issued prior to November 2010|
|ID-3||125 × 88 mm||Passports and visas|
|ID-000||25 × 15 mm||SIM cards|
All card sizes have a thickness of 0.76 mm (0.030 in).
The standard defines both metric and imperial measurements, noting that:
Numeric values in the SI and/or Imperial measurement system [...] may have been rounded off and therefore are consistent with, but not exactly equal to, each other. Either system may be used, but the two should not be intermixed or reconverted. The original design was made using the Imperial measurement system.
The ID-1 format specifies a size of 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 × 2.125 in) and rounded corners with a radius of 2.88–3.48 mm. It is commonly used for banking cards (ATM cards, credit cards, debit cards, etc.). Today it is also used for driving licences in many countries. This format is also used as a personal identity card in some countries, in retail loyalty cards, and it is one fairly common format for business cards. The United States passport card also uses the ID-1 format.
The ID-2 format specifies a size of 105 × 74 mm (4.134 × 2.913 in). This size is the A7 format. The ID-2 format is used, for example, for visas. It was also used by the German identity card issued until October 2010. Since November 2010, German ID cards are issued in the ID-1 format.
ID-000 specifies a size of 25 mm × 15 mm, with one corner slightly (3mm) bevelled. The ID-000 size was first defined by ENV 1375-1, Identification card systems — Intersector integrated circuit(s) card additional formats — Part 1: ID-000 card size and physical characteristics.
This format is used for subscriber identity modules, also called "SIM cards".
ID-000 size card as part of ID-1 size card 
An "informative" (i.e. non-mandatory) annex describes how an ID-000 sized card may be included in an ID-1 size card for processing (e.g. in an ID-1 reader), but with "relief areas around the perimeter of the ID-000 size card to allow it to be removed from the ID-1 size card without punching tools". An ID-1 size card containing an ID-000 size card is denoted as ID-1/000.
Card characteristics 
The standard specifies requirements for such physical characteristics as:
- Bending stiffness
- Resistance to chemicals
- Card dimensional stability and warpage with temperature and humidity
- Resistance to deterioration from exposure to light and heat
See also 
- ISO/IEC 7811 defines traditional techniques for recording data on ID-1 identification cards, namely embossed characters and several different magnetic recording formats.
- ISO/IEC 7816 defines ID-1 identification cards with an embedded chip (smartcard) and contact surfaces for power, clock, reset and serial-data signals.
- Magnetic stripe card
- ISO/IEC 7810:2003 Identification cards — Physical characteristics
- ISO/IEC 7810:2003, Annex A, Resistance to heat test method
- ISO/IEC 7810:2003, clause 5, Dimensions of card
- ISO/IEC 7810:2003, clause 1, Scope, Note 1
- ISO/IEC 7810 Annex B (informative), ID-000 size card as part of ID-1 size card
- ISO/IEC 7810:2003, clause 8, Card characteristics