|Studio album by Don Omar|
|Released||April 28, 2009|
|Length||36:91 (Standard edition)|
|Producer||Diesel, Danny Fornaris, Echo, Effect-O, Lex, Robin.|
|Don Omar chronology|
|Singles from iDon|
iDon (also stylized as iDON and idon) is the third studio album by Puerto Rican reggaeton performer Don Omar released worldwide on April 28, 2009 through Universal Music Group and Machete Music. The album was assumed to be named Icon when news of the upcoming album circulated the internet, but was later confirmed to be named iDon in November 2008. The album has an overall electro-dance vibe, mixed with the typical Latin-Urban style of Don Omar.
|“||iDON, the album, is an epic musical event that represents the new chapter in the Don Omar saga. The album, scheduled for an April 28 release, is the brand new studio album that details the transformation of the visionary recording artist into iDON, a half man-half machine creation. A transformation of the international superstar into a cybernetic being.||”|
—Machete Music, Universal Music Group
The concept of the album was revealed when Universal Music Group described the music on the album as "an evolution of Don Omar’s music fusing electronic, dance, hip-hop and reggaeton sounds as the musical landscape for the Latin music superstar’s revolutionary lyrics." The label also stated that the album "will be supported by visual and marketing campaign elements focused on positioning Don Omar as the defining artist for the digital age and the leader of the music world’s next generation." The record label also described iDon to be "one of the most anticipated albums in the history of Latin music." As stated above, the album is expected to have an overall electro-dance vibe with an urban touch to it.
The album is mainly produced by long-time working reggaeton producer Diesel, who also produced one of Don Omar's well known singles, "Salió El Sol." The album will also include addition production from Danny Fornaris, Echo and Effect-O. It was originally believed to also include album collaborations with Marcy Place, a bachata group founded by Don Omar. It was later confirmed that they would not be performing with Don Omar on his third studio album.
- The lead single, "Virtual Diva", was released through nationwide airplay in December 2008, and has since become the most requested song at urban radio, reaching the number-one position on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart. It was then released on both digital and mobile formats on February 3, 2009 in the United States. The song was written and produced by Don Omar and Diesel, and has a more upbeat electro-urban mix in the sound, which was considered something new for Don Omar. It was the most successful single from the album at the time of its release, peaking at number 10 on the Billboard Hot Latin Tracks chart. A music video for "Virtual Diva" was produced and filmed in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was announced around the end of January 2009 after a performance with Marcy Place at the Providence Club in New York that he would be traveling by the end of the week to Argentina to begin filming. The video was finished with production on February 13, 2009 when it was announced that Don Omar had already concluded with filming. The video will feature Argentinean model Ingrid Grudke, who portrays a doctor who wants to perform a grand experiment transforming Don Omar into half-man, half-machine. The song was also performed live for the first time on the MTV Tr3́s variety series Entertainment as a Second Language on February 26, 2009.
- "Sexy Robotica" is the official second single from the album on June 5, 2009. A music video for "Sexy Robotica" was released on July 10, 2009.
- "Ciao Bella" is the official third single from iDon, it was released on August 18, 2009. A salsa version was released to promote the single.
Other notable songs
- Although "Blue Zone" was not released officially as a single, it charted at number #5 on the Record Report Latin chart from Venezuela, and was considered a successful single.
Don Omar is expected to be touring in 2010, in promotion of his re-edition third studio album iDon. As confirmed on his MySpace profile, dates and locations of his concert tour have yet to be released, and are likely to be released on the day of the album's re-release.
|3.||"Blue Zone"||Danny Fornaris||3:31|
|6.||"Sexy Robótica"||Lex, Robin, Danny Fornaris||3:54|
|7.||"How We Roll"||Lex, Robin||4:06|
|8.||"Galactic Blues"||Danny Fornaris||4:01|
|11.||"Virtual Diva (Urban Mambo Remix)" (iTunes Bonus Track)||3:29|
|12.||"Club 3000" (iTunes Pre-Order Bonus Track)||Echo, Effect-O||5:03|
|Argentina Albums Chart||11|
|Mexican Albums Chart||51|
|Spanish Albums Chart||31|
|U.S. Billboard Top Latin Albums||1|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rap Albums||9|
|U.S. Billboard 200||32|
El Patrón by Tito "El Bambino"
|U.S. Billboard Top Latin Albums number-one album
May 18, 2009 - June 6, 2009
No Canto, Pero Lo Intentamos by Espinoza Paz
- Philip Chiore - Engineer, Mixing
- Kiley Del'Valle - Design
- Mateo Garcia - Photography
- Nanette Lamboy - Public Relations
- William Omar Landron - Executive Producer
- Adam Torres - Management
- "Amazon.com: Virtual Diva: MP3 Downloads: Don Omar by Don Omar". Amazon MP3 (Amazon.com). Accessed on 5 February 2009
- "La nueva canción de Don Omar es Ciao Bella". tropicanafm.com. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Allmusic review
- Lanzamiento de iDon - Event Details. UniversalMusica.com. Accessed on 15 February 2009
- "Don Omar actuará en Argentina Y Uruguay como parte de su gira 2008". EFE (in Spanish) (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). 14 November 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "DON OMAR "VIRTUAL DIVA" AVAILABLE TODAY IN MOBILE AND DIGITAL FORMATS". Machete Music (in English & Spanish) (Universal Music Group). 3 February 2009. Retrieved 7 February 2009.
- "DON OMAR PERFORMS ON LAUNCH OF MTV Tr3s E.S.L." (in English & Spanish). Universal Music Group. 25 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- Don Omar Biography. UniversalMusica.com. Accessed on 15 February 2009
- Ortiz, Jorge (2009-02-09). "Grupo Marcy Place asegura que su padrino Don Omar es exigente en el trabajo". Billboard en español (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Latin Rhythm Airplay - "Virtual Diva". Billboard. (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). Retrieved on 3 February 2009
- Hot Latin Songs - "Virtual Diva". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved on 19 February 2009
- "Don Omar rodará su nuevo video en Argentina". Infobae. 2009-01-20. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- "Don Omar graba en Argentina el videoclip de su último tema, "Virtual diva"". EFE (Yahoo! (Spain)). 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2009-02-13.[dead link]
- Exclusive Images from "Virtual Diva" Video Shoot - 2009/02/13. UniversalMusica.com. Accessed on 15 February 2009
- Herrera, Monica (2009-02-26). "Video: Sneak Peek at Don Omar's Performance on Debut Episode of "E.S.L."". Latina (Latina Media Ventures, LLC). Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- Blue Zone (Comenzo el Bayu) sigue cosechando exito en Venezuela meettheorphans.com.ar Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Don Omar on Myspace
- CAPIF - Representando a la Industria Argentina de la Musica > iDon by Don Omar CAPIF.org.ar
- Don Omar -Mexican album charts Mexicancharts.com
- Don Omar -Spanish album charts Spanishcharts.com
- Top Latin Albums for Don Omar Billboard.com
- Top Rap Albums for Don Omar Billboard.com
- Billboard 200 Albums for Don Omar Billboard.com