IEC 61162 is a collection of IEC standards for "Digital interfaces for navigational equipment within a ship".
The 61162 standards are developed in Working Group 6 (WG6) of Technical Committee 80 (TC80) of the IEC.
Sections of IEC 61162
Standard IEC 61162 is divided into four parts:
- Part 1: Single talker and multiple listeners
- Part 2: Single talker and multiple listeners, high-speed transmission
- Part 3: Serial data instrument network (Also known as NMEA 2000)
- Part 4: Multiple talkers Multiple listeners (Also known as Lightweight Ethernet)
Single talker and multiple listeners
Single talker and multiple listeners, high-speed transmission
Serial data instrument network
Multiple talkers Multiple listeners
This subgroup of TC80/WG6 has specified the use of Ethernet for shipboard navigational networks. The specification describes the transport of NMEA sentences as defined in 61162-1 over IPv4. Due to the low amount of protocol complexity it has been nicknamed Lightweight Ethernet or LWE in short.
- Ø.J. Rødseth, et al. "Overview of the IEC 61162-450 “Light Weight Ethernet” Ship Bridge Data Network", ISIS2011
- M.J. Christensen, et al. Lightweight Ethernet - a new standard for shipbord networks"