The IEEE Industry Standards and Technology Organization (IEEE-ISTO) is a federation of programs that accelerates and extends technical standards and technology development and adoption activities for technology industry consortia. IEEE-ISTO was established in January 1999 as a global, not-for-profit corporation [501(c)(6)]. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) is the founding member of IEEE-ISTO. Affiliation with the IEEE and the IEEE Standards Association is maintained through formal agreements.
IEEE-ISTO offers program management, marketing, conformity assessment, accounting, conformity assessment, and information technology support to technical groups and consortia. The following organizations are supported by IEEE-ISTO:
- The Connected Lighting Alliance
- In-Location Alliance
- Interconnect Modeling Technical Advisory Board (IMTAB)
- Kantara Initiative
- Liberty Technical Advisory Board (LTAB)
- MIPI Alliance
- Nexus 5001 Forum
- OpenPower Foundation
- Printer Working Group (PWG)
- SCOPE Alliance
- TALQ Consortium
- VoiceXML Forum
- Wireless Power Consortium
- Zhaga Consortium
The IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) program is managed by IEEE-ISTO. ICAP provides support that benefit industry standards-making bodies, as well as conformity assessment professionals responsible for evaluating new products against IEEE standards. In September 2010, ICAP announced its first program, the Precision Time Protocol (IEEE 1588) Conformity Alliance would develop a certification program based on IEEE 1588. Another conformity assessment program was announced in February 2012 for the Service Interoperability in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks standard IEEE 1904.
IEEE-ISTO is headquartered in Piscataway, New Jersey, USA and maintains offices within the IEEE Center for Standards adjacent to the IEEE Operations Center.
- "IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) and Iometrix Announce Launch of IEEE 1588 Based Certification Program". Press release (Industry Standards and Technology Organization). March 1, 2010. Archived from the original on September 22, 2010. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- "IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) Establishes Testing and Certification Program for EPON Equipment". Press release (ISTO). February 1, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2013.