IEEE Power & Energy Society
The IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES), formerly the IEEE Power Engineering Society, is the oldest society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) focused on the scientific and engineering knowledge about electric power and energy.
Field of Interest
According to the society's constitution, its Field of Interest "embraces planning, research and development, design, application, construction, installation, and operation of apparatus, equipment, structures, materials and systems for the safe, reliable, and economic generation, transmission, distribution, conversion, measurement, and control of electric energy. It includes the developing of engineering standards, the providing of information and instruction to the public and legislators, as well as technical, scientific, literary, educational, and other activities.".
The history of the IEEE Power & Energy Society goes back to one of the merged societies that formed the IEEE: the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE, founded 1884). When the AIEE and the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE, founded 1912) merged in 1963 to form the IEEE, the IEEE chose the more decentralized organization structure of the IRE. Starting in 1970 this resulted in the first IEEE societies; the main part of IRE became the IEEE Computer Society and the main part of AIEE became the IEEE Power Engineering Society. On April 22, 2008 the IEEE Power Engineering Society changed its name into the IEEE Power & Energy Society.
IEEE PES publishes a wide array of peer-reviewed journals that include
- IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion
- IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery
- IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
The society sponsors a number of annual conferences that focus on its Field of Interest.
- "IEEE Power & Energy Society". IEEE Power & Energy Society. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "IEEE Power & Energy Society - Governance Documents". IEEE Power & Energy Society. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "2008 IEEE News Releases - IEEE Power Engineering Society Officially Changes Name to IEEE Power & Energy Society". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. May 6, 2008. Retrieved December 11, 2010. "... effective April 22, 2008 ... is the oldest IEEE Society, and will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2009".
- IEEE PES Constitution
- "IEEE Global History Network - Formation of IEEE by the Merger of AIEE and IRE". IEEE. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- IEEE PES Publications
- IEEE Power and Energy Magazine
- IEEE PES Conferences and Meetings