The III Reconnaissance Command was a United States Army Air Forces unit. Its last assignment was with Third Air Force stationed at Rapid City Army Air Base, South Dakota. It was inactivated on 8 April 1946.
- Constituted as: I Air Support Command on 21 August 1941
- Activated on 4 September 1941
- Redesignated as: I Ground Air Support Command in April 1942
- Redesignated as: I Air Support Command in September 1942
- Redesignated as: I Tactical Air Division in August 1943
- Redesignated as: III Tactical Air Division in April 1944
- Redesignated as: III Reconnaissance Command in June 1945
- Inactivated on 9 April 1946
- Disbanded on 8 October 1948.
- Various observation and light bombardment organizations
Flew antisubmarine patrols off the east coast, 7 December 1941-15 October 1942. Trained light bombardment crews, participated in air-ground maneuvers, and demonstrated air support techniques, September 1941-May 1944. Trained reconnaissance personnel and organizations, May 1944-1946.
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
External links