IL-2 Sturmovik (video game)
|Developer(s)||1C: Maddox Games|
|Genre(s)||Combat flight simulator|
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer|
|Media/distribution||CD, DVD, Digital Download|
IL-2 Sturmovik (Ил-2 Штурмовик) is a World War II combat flight simulator video game, and the first release in the IL-2 Sturmovik series. The release focused on the air battles of the Eastern Front. It was named after the Soviet Ilyushin Il-2 ground-attack fighter, which played a prominent role in this theatre and is the single most produced military aircraft design to date. Along with its sequels, IL-2 Sturmovik is considered one of the leading World War II flight simulators.
The game featured 31 flyable planes and additional 40 non-flyable planes (available as opponents). One could play as Australia, France, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, the United Kingdom, the USA and the USSR.
The game included a multi-player feature which supports up to 100 players online over the internet. Free internet services such as Xfire, Hyperlobby, and The All-Seeing Eye, were used for setting up online game sessions.
Sequels and subsequent development 
The game saw the release of a number of add-ons and sequels since its initial release, with some of the sequels including the entirety of the original release's content.
The game is currently distributed as the IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 pack. The latest edition that includes all sequels and patches is version 4.11, which brings the number of available flyable aircraft up to 79 and the number of maps to 41. IL-2 Sturmovik is the flight simulator video game longest supported by its developer with the demo released in 2001 and the latest patch including new planes, maps and other features released in January 2012.
A further 4.12 patch, containing new planes and improvements, is currently on the works.
IL-2 Sturmovik and subsequent games in the series have received overall good reviews. The review aggregator Metacritic gives IL-2 Sturmovik a score of 91 out of 100, while GameRankings, another review aggregator, gives a score of 91.31%.
- Gamespot rated IL-2 Sturmovik at 9.2 out of 10.
- IGN called the game "impressive" and gave a rating of 8.3 out of 10.
- Igromania rated IL-2: Sturmovik at 10 out of 10
- Meristation rated IL-2: Sturmovik at 10 out of 10
- Gamespot review of IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
- Driver Heaven review of the whole series
- Goebel, G. (2008): The Il-2 Shturmovik. Air Vectors, military aviation site
- Spotlight: Ilushin IL2 Shtumrovik, Digital age Shturmoviks. Fly Past magazine, pp 54-73. April 2011
- IL-2 Sturmovik at Metacritic
- IL-2 Sturmovik at GameRankings
- IL-2 Sturmovik at Gamespot
- IL-2 Sturmovik at IGN