|Headquarters||200 5th Ave, New York, NY 10010, United States|
|Area served||25+ countries|
|Key people||Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, co-Chief Executive Officers|
|Owners||William Morris Endeavor
Silver Lake Partners
|Divisions||Events & Media
Performance and IMG Academy
Art + Commerce
IMG was founded by Mark McCormack, an American lawyer who spotted the potential for athletes to make large incomes from endorsement in the television age; he signed professional golfers Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus as his first clients. McCormack died in 2003. In 2004 Forstmann Little led by Theodore J. Forstmann acquired the company; Forstmann served as chairman and CEO until his death in late 2011.
In 2006, IMG Media acquired nunet AG, a provider of mobile TV services to mobile network operators around the world. Clients of nunet's mobile TV CMS currently include: Vodafone, Proximus, Vodacom, Mobilkom A1. Content distributed currently includes MTV, Fashion TV, Eurosport, and Discovery Networks.
In November 2007, IMG acquired Kentucky-based Host Communications, which had multiple business units with services ranging from sports marketing and broadcasting to the management of associations and non-profit organizations. The sports-related businesses were combined with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) to form IMG College, while the association management division was renamed IMG Associations.
IMG was founded and headquartered in Downtown Cleveland in a complex built in 1965 diagonally across the street from Erieview Tower. When the IMG Center was built, it originally housed the Cuyahoga Saving Bank, which was acquired by Charter One Bank in 1998. In 1997, IMG renovated the Cuyahoga Savings Bank Building and renamed it IMG Center. At street level they have a projection screen showing their businesses, events and clients, with images ranging from Formula One racing to professional golfers. Following the acquisition of IMG by Forstmann Little, the headquarters remained in Cleveland, Ohio for several years until officially relocating to its new parent company's existing offices in New York, in 2010. The firm continues to operate its major U.S. office at the former Cleveland headquarters.
On October 15, 2010, IMG acquired ISP, the multimedia rights holder for more than 50 universities based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. As a result of the acquisition, IMG College retained ISP's former headquarters in Winston-Salem.
On December 18, 2013, IMG was acquired by WME and Silver Lake Partners in a $2.2 billion deal. WME’s Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell will serve as co-CEOs. IMG and its more than 3,000 employees worldwide will continue as an independent entity.
TWI, IMG's television division, is the largest independent distributor and producer of televised sports, managing a library of more than 150,000 hours. TWI annually produces and distributes 6,500 hours of original programming in more than 200 countries covering over 200 sports, and also has involvement in digital sports and entertainment.
IMG is also commercially involved in an average of 11 major sports and cultural events around the world every day; represents the interests of major corporations; is the world's largest non-character licensing firm, and is a literary agency and book packager.
IMG owns and operates Florida-based sports and fitness academies under the name IMG Academy; and IMG Models is a model management firm. IMG Consulting works with many corporations on marketing and sponsorship programs, and IMG's stadium and arena group works with leagues and franchises world wide.
Trans World International
Trans World International (TWI) is the event arm of IMG. It is the largest independent producer, packager, and distributor of sports programs in the world. TWI produces over 5,000 hours of original programming each year for distribution to more than 200 territories.
- American Gladiators (with Samuel Goldwyn Television and Four Point Entertainment)
- Arab Football Show (Al Mala'eb Al Arabiya)
- ASP Tour
- Barclays Premier League (with the League, the venture is officially known as Premier League Productions)
- Battle of the Network Stars
- Escape from Alcatraz, a Triathlon sport event
- FIFA Futbol Mundial
- Indian Premier League
- ICC Cricket 360°
- Total Rugby (IRB Official Program)
- Trans World Sport
- UEFA Champions League Weekly
- Australian Masters
- Father/Son Challenge
- The Honda Classic
- Kraft Nabisco Championship
- Mid-Atlantic Championship
- Perth International
- Ricoh Women's British Open
- Volvo World Match Play Championship
- Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship
- Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
- Honda LPGA Thailand
In late 2007 IMG acquired Host Communications and the Collegiate Licensing Company to form IMG College. In 2010 IMG acquired ISP Sports, which was based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. All together, IMG College holds the licensing rights to over 150 colleges and universities, 9 collegiate conferences, 15 bowl games and 7 other athletic institutions in the United States. Additionally, they hold the multimedia marketing rights to the following U.S. schools and institutions:
- AT&T Red River Rivalry
- Furman University
- Gonzaga University
- Ohio Valley Conference
- Rice University
- Rutgers University
- Southeastern Conference
- State Farm Lone Star Showdown
- University of Arizona
- University of California
- University of Central Florida
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Florida
- University Interscholastic League
- University of Kansas
- University of Kentucky
- University of Michigan
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- University of Oregon
- University of Tennessee
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- University of Texas at Austin (including its cable channel Longhorn Network)
- Western Kentucky University
- West Virginia University
- Australian Fashion Week
- Berlin Fashion Week
- Lakme Fashion Week
- Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
- Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Miami
- World MasterCard Fashion Week
- IMG Academy
- IMG Models
- Longhorn Network - a TV network (of which IMG College is a partner) that specifically covers athletics and events at the University of Texas at Austin
- Sports agent - a listing of well-known sports agents, categorized by sport
- "fcbusiness Magazine - IMG acquires Premier League rights for ships and planes". 3 December 2012. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- Chennai Open gets three years extension