|Type||Public Company (OMX/Velo), (NASDAQ: IMRS)|
|Headquarters||Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Key people||Jay Miller, Chairman & CEO|
|Products||Medical Imaging Equipment|
|Revenue||$51.8 Million (2011)|
IMRIS Inc. (NASDAQ: IMRS; TSX: IM) is a medical equipment company based in Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.. The company which started in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, develops and markets intraoperative image-guided therapy environments for use during surgical or interventional procedures. The system – sold as VISIUS Surgical Theatre – integrates magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), X-ray angiography and fluoroscopy into the operating room. The company evolved from research conducted through Canada’s National Research Council.
The IMRIS intraoperative MRI and CT products are mounted on ceiling rails that bring the image modality (scanner) to the patient rather than having to transport or reposition the patient. The VISIUS iMRI and iCT products are available in multiple room configuration so imaging can be utilized in other rooms for intraoperative or diagnostic scanning.
The company is currently developing an MRI-compatible image-guided surgical robot specifically designed for minimally-invasive neurosurgery. In November 2012, the company announced that it was moving its headquarters to the Minneapolis area. They completed their move in July 2013.
- Canada’s IMRIS Files for U.S. IPO. Reuters Canada, November 8, 2010 http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCATRE6A71WX20101108.
- M Cash. Medical Firms Feeling Healthy. Winnipeg Free Press, October 2, 2012 http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/medical-firms-feeling-healthy-172235411.html.
- Canadian Start-up Takes MRI into the Operating Room. Diagnostic Imaging, April 25, 2001 http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/mri/content/article/113619/1217302?pageNumber=1.
- J Shmuel. 2011. IMRIS Methodically Building Momentum. Financial Post, April 10, 2011 http://business.financialpost.com/2011/04/10/imris-methodically-building-momentum/.
- http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ibp/ibd/about/spin-off-companies/imris.html. Accessed August 27, 2012.
- http://www.mdacorporation.com/corporate/news/pr/pr2011091901.cfm Accessed August 27, 2012.
- IMRIS Buying Company Behind Surgical Robot. Winnipeg Free Press, February 5, 2010 http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/imris-buying-company-behind-surgical-robot-83622652.html.
- University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/about/neuroarm_sold.