||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2013)|
|Traded as||NYSE: IMS|
Information Services, Technology
|Ari Bousbib, CEO|
|Products||Healthcare Measurement, Analytics & Services, Consulting, Technology Services|
CPP Investment Board
Leonard Green & Partners
Number of employees
IMS Health is a company that provides information, services and technology for the healthcare industry. It is the largest vendor of U.S. physician prescribing data. IMS Health was founded in 1954 by Bill Frohlich and David Dubow. In 2010, IMS Health was taken private by TPG Capital, CPP Investment Board and Leonard Green & Partners. Ari Bousbib is IMS Health’s Chairman and CEO. Bousbib, formerly a longtime senior executive at United Technologies Corporation, joined the company in September 2010. IMS Health is headquartered in Danbury, Connecticut.
IMS Health Holdings Inc. reported earning $2.6 billion in 2014, with $1.5 billion in information sales and $1.1 billion in technology services.
IMS Health is best known for its collection of healthcare information spanning sales, de-identified prescription data, medical claims, electronic medical records and social media. IMS Health’s products and services are used by companies to develop commercialization plans and portfolio strategies, to select patient and physician populations for specific therapies, and to measure the effectiveness of pharmaceutical marketing and sales resources. The firm uses its own data to produce syndicated reports such as market forecasts and market intelligence.
History and acquisitions
The original name of the company was Intercontinental Marketing Services, hence the IMS name. IMS Health's corporate headquarters is located in Danbury, Connecticut, USA. The company's chairman and CEO is Ari Bousbib.
- In 2002, IMS Health acquired Cambridge Pharma Consultancy, a privately held international firm that provides strategic advice to pharmaceutical management.
- In 2003, acquired Marketing Initiatives, a specialist in healthcare facility profile data, and Data Niche Associates, a provider of rebate validation services for Medicaid and managed care.
- In 2004, United Research China Shanghai was acquired, providing coverage of China’s consumer health market.
- In 2005, acquired PharMetrics, a U.S. provider of patient-centric integrated claims data.
- In 2006, acquired the Life Sciences practice of Strategic Decisions Group, a portfolio strategy consultant to the life sciences industry.
- In 2007, IMS Health acquired IHS and MedInitiatives, providers of healthcare data management analytics and technology services. That same year, ValueMedics Research was acquired, extending IMS Health’s health economics and outcomes research capabilities.
- In 2007, ranked in the Businessweek 50. This list represents "best in class" companies from the ten economic sectors that make up the S&P 500.
- In 2008, named to the World’s Most Admired Companies list by Fortune. The company received the recognition again in 2010.
- In 2008, acquired RMBC, a provider of national pharmaceutical market intelligence and analytics in Russia.
- In 2008, acquired the Skura professional services group, based out of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada and specialized in data integration, consulting and services in business intelligence platforms to pharmaceutical and healthcare clients in North America and Europe.
- In 2009, named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index in recognition of the company’s economic, environmental and social performance among the largest 600 North American companies.
- In February 2010, IMS Health was taken private by TPG Capital, CPP Investment Board, and Leonard Green & Partners.
- In 2010, acquired Brogan, Inc., a privately held market research and consulting firm serving the Canada healthcare market.
- In 2011, expanded its specialty and patient-level data assets in the United States with the acquisition of SDI Health. Also that year, the company acquired Ardentia Ltd in the UK, and Med-Vantage in the United States to build on its payer services in those markets.
- In 2012, acquired PharmARC Analytic Solutions Pvt. Ltd, a Bangalore-based analytics company.
- For 2012, the firm was rated as #2 in Vault's "Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Consulting Companies" 2012 rankings.
- In 2012, acquired DecisionView, a software solutions company that helps life sciences organizations plan and track patient enrollment for clinical trials and TTC, a benchmarking solutions and analytics company that helps clients plan for and negotiate the costs of clinical trials. Also in 2012, the company purchased PharmaDeals Ltd., a provider of online information about business transactions, licensing, and mergers and acquisitions activity within the pharmaceutical industry.
- In 2013, acquired several companies to expand its portfolio of SaaS products: Incential Software, a provider of sales performance management technology services; 360 Vantage, which delivers multi-channel CRM software capabilities; Appature, which offers a relationship marketing platform; and Semantelli, a provider of social media analytics for the global healthcare industry.
Throughout its history, IMS Health's business of collecting anonymized pharmaceutical sales data has come under scrutiny from both the media and the legal system.
- IMS Health Annual Report (10-K), 2014 
- Steinbrook, R (Jun 29, 2006). "For sale: physicians' prescribing data.". The New England journal of medicine 354 (26): 2745–7. doi:10.1056/nejmp068125. PMID 16807410.
- Fugh-Berman, A (August 2008). "Prescription tracking and public health.". Journal of general internal medicine 23 (8): 1277–80. doi:10.1007/s11606-008-0630-0. PMID 18473146.
- Fugh-Berman, A; Ahari, S (April 2007). "Following the script: how drug reps make friends and influence doctors.". PLoS medicine 4 (4): e150. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0040150. PMID 17455991.
- "IMS Health sold to TPG, CPPIB, LG&P"
- "CEO's of Tomorrow"
- Drive to Develop New Commercial Models.pdf "The Drive to Develop New Commercial Models"
- in the News/Documents/Kleinrock, 2011 CA Biomed Industry Report_FINAL.pdf "CA Biomed Industry Report"
- Market Maps TL.pdf "Patient Market Maps"
- "The Business Week 50" Bloomberg Business Week, Accessed 20 October 2010
- "TPG and Pension Plan to Buy IMS Health" New York Times Deal Book, 5 November 2009
- "Consulting Firm Rankings 2012: The Best Firms in Each Practice Area: Pharmaceutical & Health Care Consulting Vault Consulting Firm Rankings 2012. Accessed 4 October, 2011"
- "IMS Health to buy clinical trials software company DecisionView"
- "IMS Health Acquires TTC, Strengthening Pharma R&D Services Capabilities"
- "IMS Health Expands Suite of Syndicated, Web-based Analytics With Acquisition of PharmaDeals Ltd."
- Forbes "Company that Knows What Drugs Everyone Takes Going Public" http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamtanner/2014/01/06/company-that-knows-what-drugs-everyone-takes-going-public/
- Baxter, Alexander D. "IMS Health v. Ayotte: A New Direction on Commercial Speech Cases" (PDF). Berkeley Technology Law Journal 25 (1): 649–670. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Shapiro, Ilya (28 April 2009). "IMS Health v. Ayotte | Cato Institute". cato.org. Cato Institute. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Bibet-Kalinyak, Isabelle (2012). "Critical Analysis of Sorrell v. IMS Health, Inc.: Pandora's Box at Best". Food & Drug L.J. 67: 191.
- Law360 11 August, 2011. Inside Sorrell V. IMS Health
- Adam Liptak for the New York Times. 23 June 2011 Drug Makers Win Two Supreme Court Decisions
- Gayland Hethcoat Regulating Pharmaceutical Marketing After Sorrell v. IMS Health Inc. Quinnipiac Health Law Journal. 2012 Vol. 15:187