||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (May 2010)|
|Alexa rank||7,572 (April 2014[update])|
IP2Location is a Malaysian company offering IP geolocation software applications, i.e. tools that attempt to derive geographical data (country, region, city, latitude, longitude, ZIP code, time zone), and also connection speed, ISP and domain name, about an Internet user using their IP addresses. IP2Location.com is a subsidiary of Hexasoft Development Sdn. Bhd. ("HDSB"), a company based in Penang.
The solution is platform independent and can be integrated by almost all database systems such as MySQL, SQL Server or others. The solution also comes with API in several programming languages .NET, Java, C, C++, Visual Basic, PHP, ColdFusion, Perl, Ruby and Python. IP2Location has been used by many other applications such as Wikiscanner.
Accuracy and criticism
IP2Location does not always identify ip location correctly, for example IP addresses from Orange and Proxad ISP in France (the largest two ISPs in France) are reported as located in Paris, regardless of the actual position, according to a research paper done at the University of Toronto on IP2Location. Proxy servers and virtual private networks may not be identified by IP Location and thus any claims of identify a computer's physical location may not be accurate.
- "Ip2location.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "IP2Location". Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- "Contact Us". IP2Location.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "MSDN Mag". Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- "ColdFusion". Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- "Wired Magazine". 2007-08-14. Retrieved 2007-12-28.[dead link]
- Ronda, Troy; Bila, Nilton. Appono: A Geolocator for the Internet (PDF). University of Toronto. appono. Retrieved 2008-01-02.