IP over DVB
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2012)|
IP over DVB or IP over MPEG implies that Internet Protocol datagrams are transferred over the MPEG transport stream, and are distributed using some digital television system, for example DVB-H, DVB-T, DVB-S or DVB-C.
- Data broadcast (datacast), for example a data carousel sending programme information and media over and over again.
- IP Multicast, for sending media efficiently to a limited group of subscribing users, using only the transmitter towers where users for the moment are situated.
- interactive TV services
- To provide internet access by utilizing the DVB system as a broadband downlink, in combination with some narrow-band duplex system. Examples:
All services except the first requires some kind of return channel.
Protocols for IP over MPEG transport stream
- MPEG Multiprotocol encapsulation (MPE), or ETSI-DAT. EN 301 192, "Specifications for Data Broadcasting", European Telecommunications Standards Institute(ETSI), 2004.
- MPEG Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) (RFC 4326)
- Unidirectional link (UDE)
- DVB-H IP datacasting IPDC