|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2012)|
|Industry||Engineering, procurement and construction|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Key people||Mohan Tiwari, Chairman & Managing Director|
|Operating income||INR 31.52 Billion (2010)|
|Net income||INR 1.822 Billion (2010)|
|Subsidiaries||Ircon Infrastructure & Services Limited and Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited|
Ircon International Limited (IRCON) is an engineering and construction company, specialized in transport infrastructure. The company was established in 1976, by the Government of India under the The Companies Act, 1956. IRCON was registered as the Indian Railway Construction Company Limited, a wholly owned entity of the Ministry of Railways. Initially, its primary charter was the construction of railway projects in India and abroad. The company has since diversified into other transport and infrastructure segments and with its expanded scope of operations across the world, the name was changed to Ircon International Limited in October 1995.
The company is well known for undertaking challenging infrastructure projects, especially in difficult terrains in India and abroad. Ircon has completed over 300 major infrastructure projects in India and over 121 major projects across the globe in more than 21 countries.
Area of Business
The core competence of the Company in order of priority are - Railways, Highways and EHT Substation Engineering and Construction. IRCON is a turnkey construction company that is specialized in Railways (New Railway lines, rehabilitation/conversion of existing lines, Station Buildings and facilities, Bridges, Tunnels, Signalling and Tele-communication, Railway Electrification, and Wet Leasing of Locomotives), Highways, EHV sub-station (engineering, procurement and construction) and Metro rail.
- Project includes Design, construction, completion, testing, commissioning and maintenance of the double track project between Seremban and Gemas, Malaysia. Ircon is helping Malaysia revive a multibillion-dollar rail project that had been shelved in 2003 due to its high cost, Malaysia's transport minister said Saturday, according to a report. - 21 April 2007 - India's Ircon to take part in multibillion-dollar railway project in Malaysia. After winning this project worth USD 1 Billion in Malaysia for doubling of track the company was awarded the rehabilitation of Railway line projects of about 250 million US$ in Sri Lanka.
- The project deals with design and construction of New BG Rail link from Quazigund – Baramulla (both stations inclusive) in Kashmir valley inclusive of planning, design and construction of all the services and residential buildings, circulating area, parking, platforms, subways, shelters and other allied structures of all stations involved the construction of Rail link between Quazigund and Baramulla (Total Length 117 km) in Kashmir Valley. The project was turn key construction involving the following areas:
- Survey & Design
- Infrastructure Works (Earthwork, Bridges)
- Track Work
- Signalling Works
- Electrical Works
The project is unique and challenging in the aspect that it passes through the difficult terrain, inaccessible areas and working in the region severely affected by militancy. The project posed the challenge by involving high bridges, viaducts and tunnels. IRCON was assigned the work by Ministry of Railways on the ground of its capability of executing the work in challenging and difficult areas. IRCON successfully completed above project despite adverse climate and conditions. At a time of heavy snow fall and rain fall when there was no work going on in the valley IRCON engineers and staff were on the job completing the work in a tight time frame.
The scope of the project is construction of steel superstructure and other ancillary works of rail cum road bridge across river Ganges at Patna. It is one of its own kind because of huge steel structured bridge amounting to over INR 1200 Crores. This is going to be the first largest steel girder bridge.
- Total length of track laid = 2025.62 km
- Total length of track (Ongoing Projects) = 1174 km
Countries of operation
- Sri Lanka
Awards and accolades
IRCON has been a consistent winner of the Highest Foreign Exchange Earner Award in the construction sector. From Engineering Export Promotion Council, the Company has won 18 Awards of Excellence, including the All India Trophy for the Top Exporters in the category of Merchant Exporters in recognition of the outstanding contribution to Engineering Exports. From Project Exports Promotion Council of India, IRCON has won 42 Awards of Excellence, including, The Award for Maximum Foreign Exchange Earned and Repatriated to India from Overseas Service Contracts. Some of the awards are listed below:
- First to get the ISO-9001:2008 Certification from TUV Germany
- National Citizen's Award for Unique Contribution in the Field of Engineering Projects
- Award for Excellence Received from Department of Public Enterprises
- Government of India
- Indian Railways
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highway
- National Highway Authority of India
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
- Malaysia Railway
- Mozambique Ports and Railways
Ircon Infrastructure & Services Limited (IISL)
Ircon Infrastructure & Services Limited (A wholly owned subsidiary of Ircon International Limited) was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on 30 September 2009. The Company has obtained a Certificate of Commencement of Business on 10 November 2009 from the office of Registrar of Companies. The main objects of the company as enshrined in its Memorandum and Articles of Association are to undertake infrastructure projects; to carry on any infrastructure construction work on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT), Build-Own-Operate-Transfer (BOOT), Build-Lease-Transfer (BLT), etc. or otherwise or any other scheme or project found suitable in and related to the field of infrastructure projects and other ancillary fields; planning, designing, development, improvement, commissioning, operation, maintenance, etc. in the field of construction of infrastructure of Multi Functional Complexes (MFCs), etc. to provide facilities and amenities to users of Indian Railway System. News:; and all matters in the field of real estate and allied areas to make use of the opportunities that may arise. This includes providing project management, quality management, safety, health and environment related consultancy services to clients. Following are its main clients:
- Govt to push for Ircon divestment - The Railway Ministry has sought the views of its public sector units, Ircon International and Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES), on a possible offload of Government stake in them. Both the profit making firms are wholly owned by Indian Railways.The Railways could be considering this move to raise funds for the proposed dedicated freight corridor project News Report, 20 June 2011
- Net profit rises 3.39% in the December 2010 quarter New Report, 3 February 2011
- "Annual Report, 2009-2010". Ircon International. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "About Us". Ircon International. Retrieved 2011-08-12.