IRIB World Service
|Owner||Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting|
The radio network started to work in 1956 with the aim of familiarizing different world nations with Iran’s history and culture as well as its different regions and historical sites. Following the Iranian Revolution, elaborating on the revolution’s stances and the ideals of the Islamic Republic system were put high on the radio’s agenda.
The radio’s schedule includes news and talk programmes, political and religious commentaries, different series and features on special occasions.
The IRIB World Service currently broadcasts in 32 languages:
English Radio is the English language output of the IRIB World Service, aimed to the listeners in the Anglosphere. Voice of Justice is a 60-minute long programming block, aimed to listeners in the United States.
Historical output (1950-1996)
Comparison of IRIB World Service to other external services:
|VOA, RFE/RL & Radio Martí||497||1,495||1,907||1,901||2,611||1,821|
|China Radio International||66||687||1,267||1,350||1,515||1,620|
|BBC World Service||643||589||723||719||796||1,036|
|Radio Moscow / Voice of Russia||533||1,015||1,908||2,094||1,876||726|
|Radio Cairo (ERTU)||0||301||540||546||605||604|
|IRIB World Service / Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran||12||24||155||175||400||575|
|All India Radio||116||157||271||389||456||500|
|NHK World Radio Japan||0||203||259||259||343||468|
|Radio France Internationale||198||326||200||125||379||459|
|Radio Netherlands Worldwide||127||178||335||289||323||392|
|Israel Radio International||0||91||158||210||253||365|
|Voice of Turkey||40||77||88||199||322||364|
|Radio Pyongyang / Voice of Korea||0||159||330||597||534||364|
|Radio Tirana (RTSH)||26||63||487||560||451||303|
|Radio Romania International||30||159||185||198||199||298|
|Radio Exterior de España||68||202||251||239||403||270|
|Radio Havana Cuba||0||0||320||424||352||203|
|Rai Italia Radio||170||205||165||169||181||203|
|Radio Canada International||85||80||98||134||195||175|
|Radio RSA / Channel Africa||0||63||150||183||156||159|
|Sveriges Radio International||28||114||140||155||167||149|
|Voice of Nigeria||0||0||62||170||120||127|
|Radio Belgrade / International Radio of Serbia||80||70||76||72||96||68|
Source: International Broadcast Audience Research, June 1996
The list includes about a quarter of the world's external broadcasters whose output is both publicly funded and worldwide. Among those excluded are Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea and various international commercial and religious stations.
- Does not broadcast on shortwave as of 2014.
- 1996 figures as at June; all other years as at December.
- Before 1991, broadcasting for the former USSR.
- Before 1996, broadcasting for the former Czechoslovakia.
- REE ceased all shortwave broadcasts in October 2014 but announced in December that it would resume shortwave transmission in Spanish only for four hours a day in order to accommodate Spanish fishing trawlers who were otherwise unable to receive REE at sea.
- About us: IRIB English Radio. Retrieved on 15 August 2014.
- Voice of Justice, clandestineradio.com. Retrieved on 15 August 2014.
- Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting, the Iranian publicly funded broadcaster.
- Multilingual website of IRIB World Service.