|Mission duration||10 years|
|Manufacturer||ISRO Satellite Centre
Space Applications Centre
|Launch mass||1,380 kilograms (3,040 lb)|
|Dry mass||614 kilograms (1,354 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||1 July 2013, 18:11UTC|
|Launch site||Satish Dhawan FLP|
|Perigee||35,713 kilometres (22,191 mi)|
|Apogee||35,873 kilometres (22,290 mi)|
|Epoch||9 November 2013, 00:26:01 UTC|
IRNSS-1A is the first navigational satellite in the Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System series of satellites. The satellite is one among the three of the IRNSS series satellites that has been placed in geosynchronous orbit.
The satellite has been developed at a cost of 125 crore (US$19 million), and was launched on 1 July 2013. It will provide IRNSS services to the Indian public, which would be a system similar to GPS but only for India and the region around it.
Each IRNSS satellite has two payloads: a navigation payload and CDMA ranging payload in addition with a laser retro-reflector. The payload generates navigation signals at L5 and S-band. The design of the payload makes the IRNSS system inter-operable and compatible with GPS and Galileo. The satellite is powered by two solar arrays, which generate power up to 1,660 watts, and has a life-time of ten years.
The satellite was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre on 1 July 2013 at 11:41 PM (IST). The launch was postponed from its initial launch date of 26 June 2013 due to a technical snag in the 2nd stage of the PSLV-C22 launch rocket. ISRO then replaced the faulty component in the rocket and rescheduled the launch to 1 July 1 2013 at 11:43 p.m.
Scientists from the German Aerospace Centre’s Institute of Communications and Navigation in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, have received signals from IRNSS-1A. On July 23, the German Aerospace Center scientists pointed their 30-meter dish antenna at Weilheim towards the satellite and found that it was already transmitting a signal in the L5 frequency band.
- Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System
- Global Navigation Satellite System
- Communication-Centric Intelligence Satellite (CCI-Sat)
- "IRNSS-1A". n2yo. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Peat, Chris (9 November 2013). "IRNSS R1A - Orbit". Heavens Above. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "IRNSS". space.skyrocket.de. Retrieved 2012-04-08.
- "India's first ever dedicated navigation satellite launched". DNA India. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "India's first dedicated navigation satellite placed in orbit". NDTV. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Planned Satellite Launches in 2013". satlaunch.net. March 19, 2013. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "IRNSS". space.skyrocket.de. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "India launches its first navigation satellite". Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Technical snag puts off satellite launch: ISRO". SGP. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- "PSLV-C22/IRNSS-1A Mission Status". ISRO. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- S Giri Prasad. "Indian equivalent of the GPS satellite". The Hindu. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Indian Regional Navigation Satellite Starts Signal Transmissions". GPS World. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.