ISCTE – Lisbon University Institute
|ISCTE - University Institute of Lisbon|
|ISCTE - Instituto Universitário de Lisboa|
|Type||Public university institute|
|Rector||Luís Antero Reto|
|Campus||Cidade Universitária de Lisboa|
|Former names||ISCTE - Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa|
ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon, abbreviated ISCTE-IUL (in Portuguese ISCTE - Instituto Universitário de Lisboa), is a Portuguese public university institute, located in the centre of Lisbon in the University City campus.
In the past, ISCTE-IUL was named Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa abbreviated ISCTE (in English Higher Institute of Business and Labour Sciences), but that name was dropped in 2009 when ISCTE-IUL was changed to a university institute with foundational nature (along with the University of Porto and the University of Aveiro).
- ISCTE-IUL Business School (IBS)
- School of Social and Human Sciences (ECSH)
- School of Sociology and Public Policy (ESPP)
- ISCTE-IUL School of Technology and Architecture (ISTA)
- INDEG IUL ISCTE Executive Education
ISCTE-IUL comprises about 7,500 students at both undergraduate and graduate levels and close to 400 professors. The ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon confers all levels of academic degrees in Anthropology, Sociology, History, Social psychology, Political Science, Planning, Architecture, Economics, Finance, Business administration and Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Computer Science, Telecommunications Engineering, Industrial Engineering, amongst many other post-graduate programs.
ISCTE-IUL was established in Lisbon in 1972 as ISCTE using the faculty and facilities of the Instituto de Estudos Sociais (Institute of Social Studies, founded in 1963) as a first step towards a new and innovative public university in Lisbon. Its present designation dates from 2009.
From its creation ISCTE-IUL was authorized to grant the bachelor's degree and the licenciatura degree, which was granted after completion of a four to five years long program that often required writing a final dissertation and thus was roughly equivalent to the current master's degree, instituted as part of the Bologna process. From 1983 onwards, ISCTE-IUL was also authorized to grant the master's degree, which was higher than the current Bologna process master's degree but still lower than a doctorate degree).
What was to be the first college of a never completed larger projected university (due to the carnation revolution of 1974) always remained as a non-integrated University Institute - situation that was institutionalized in 1988. From that date onwards, ISCTE-IUL grants all academic degrees, comprising Bachelors, Masters, PhDs, Honorary doctorates and Habilitations (called Agregação in Portuguese).
ISCTE-IUL is today part of both the Fundação das Universidades Portuguesas (Foundation of Portuguese Universities) and the Conselho de Reitores das Universidades Portuguesas (Council of Rectors of the Portuguese Universities). It is also one of the few public universities in Portugal with a foundational nature, together with the University of Porto and the University of Aveiro.
This ISCTE-IUL comprises quality research centers in all its domains. The major ISCTE-IUL research centers are:
- ADETTI - Associação para o Desenvolvimento das Telecomunicações e Técnicas de Informática (Adetti), related to Caixa Mágica Linux distribution.
- AUDAX - Empreendedorismo e Empresas Familiares (Audax) - RTP2.
- CEA - Centro de Estudos Africanos (CEA)
- CEHCP - Centro de Estudos de História Contemporânea Portuguesa (CEHP)
- CEMAF - Centro de Investigação de Mercados e Activos Financeiros (CEMAF)
- CET - Centro de Estudos Territoriais (CET)
- CEUA - Centro de Estudos de Urbanismo e Arquitectura (CEUA)
- CIES - Centro de Investigação e Estudos de Sociologia (CIES)
- CIS - Centro de Intervenção Social (CIS)
- CRIA - Center for Research in Anthropology (CRIA)
- Dinâmia - Centro de Estudos sobre a Mudança Socioeconómica (Dinâmia)
- GIEM - Centro de Investigação e Formação em Marketing (GIEM)
- GIESTA - Grupo de Investigação Estatística e Análise de Dados (GIESTA)
- In Out - Instituto de Estudos de Logística e Gestão Global
- INESLA - Instituto de Estudos Superiores do Litoral Alentejano
- IT - Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT)
- LINCS - Laboratório Interdisciplinar de Ciências Sociais
- MRC - Management Research Center (MRC)
- UNICS - Unidade de Investigação em Ciências Sociais (UNICS)
- UNIDE - Unidade de Investigação em Desenvolvimento Empresarial (UNIDE)
- VITRUVIUS FABLAB - Laboratório de Fabricação Digital (VITRUVIUS FABLAB)
Notable alumni and professors
- António José Seguro - Politician, deputy to the Assembly of the Republic (did not graduate)
- Gustavo Cardoso - Sociologist and World Economic Forum's Young Global Leader in 2008 (Professor)
- João de Pina-Cabral - Anthropologist (former Professor)
- João Mário Grilo - Film director (former Sociology student)
- José Sócrates - Former Prime Minister (MBA programme)
- Manuel Carvalho da Silva - Leader of the General Confederation of the Portuguese Workers (former graduate student in Sociology)
- Maria de Lurdes Rodrigues - Former Minister for Education (Professor and former student)
- Miguel Vale de Almeida - Anthropologist, LGBT activist and former deputy to the Assembly of the Republic (Professor)
- Paulo Pedroso - Former Minister for Labor and Training and deputy to the Assembly of the Republic (Professor and former student)
- ISCTE — INSTITUTO UNIVERSITÁRIO DE LISBOA, Deliberação n.º 1971/2010, Diário da República, 2.ª série — N.º 212 — 2 de Novembro de 2010.
- The ISCTE-IUL was created by the Decreto-Lei nº 522/72, of 15 December 1972 (pdf file).
- Decreto-Lei n.º 95/2009.
- Research Centres at ISCTE-IUL - official site
- ISCTE-IUL official site
- Sociology Journal
- Portuguese Journal of Social Science
- Urbanism & Territory Journal
- Anthropology Journal
- History Journal
- Management Journal
- Portuguese Urbanism Journal
- Economy Journal
- LINCS - Interdisciplinary Laboratory for Social Sciences / ISCTE