Isis (mobile payment system)
Isis is a joint venture between AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon in the mobile payment space, announced on November 16, 2010. The system is based on near field communication (NFC) and allows users to pay by tapping their mobile device to a payment terminal. Notably, Sprint is not part of the consortium. The CEO of Isis is Mike Abbott. The Isis mobile system has partnered with the Discover network and Barclaycard US.
On April 4, 2011, Isis announced it will pilot the Isis mobile commerce program in Salt Lake City in early to mid-2012. On July 19, 2011, a partnership was announced between Isis, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
On August 29, 2011, the three wireless carriers announced plans to invest more than $100 million in the project.
Isis uses several underlying technologies:
Currently, the service competes with two other services:
- Google has a product called Google Wallet (previously known as Google Checkout) which aims to compete directly.
- Paypal, who already runs one of the main payment methods across the internet, is competing for offline payments as well.
- Hachman, Mark (July 19, 2011). "Isis Carrier Venture Signs Payment Deals with Visa, Mastercard, Others". PC Magazine. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- Olga, Kharif. "AT&T-Verizon-T Mobile Sets $100 Million for Google Fight: Tech". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- "A Message from Michael Abbott: Embarking on a New Brand". ISIS. 2014-07-07. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- Clark, Sarah (August 4, 2011). "Isis picks C-Sam to supply NFC mobile wallet technology". NFC World. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- Clark, Sarah (December 12, 2011). "Isis picks Gemalto for NFC mobile commerce platform". NFC World. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- Isis – official site
- Isis Mobile Wallet – Android app
- Difference Between Credit Card and Isis Mobile Wallet
- Isis picks C-Sam to supply NFC mobile wallet technology
- Isis picks Gemalto for NFC mobile commerce platform
|This business software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|