Web of Knowledge
Web of Knowledge (formerly known as ISI Web of Knowledge) is an academic citation indexing and search service, which is combined with web linking and is provided by Thomson Reuters. Web of Knowledge covers the sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities. It provides bibliographic content and tools to access, analyze, and manage research information. Multiple databases can be searched simultaneously.
Web of Knowledge is described as a unifying research tool which enables the user to acquire, analyze, and disseminate database information in a timely manner. This is accomplished because of the creation of a common vocabulary for varied search terms and varied data. Moreover, search terms generate related information across categories.
Acceptable content for Web of Knowledge is determined by an evaluation and selection process based on the following criteria: impact, influence, timeliness, peer review, and geographic representation.
Search and analysis
Web of Knowledge employs various search and analysis capabilities. First, citation indexing is employed, which is enhanced by the capability to search for results across disciplines. The influence, impact, history, and methodology of an idea can be followed from its first instance, notice, or referral to the present day. This technology points to a deficiency with the keyword-only method of searching. Second, subtle trends and patterns, relevant to the literature or research of interest become apparent. Broad trends indicate significant topics of the day, as well as the history relevant to both the work at hand, and particular areas of study. Third, trends can be graphically represented.
The combined databases includes the following:
- 23,000 academic and scientific journals (including Web of Science journal listings)
- 23,000,000 patents
- 110,000 conference proceedings
- 9,000 websites
- Coverage from the year 1900 to present day (with Web of Science)
- Over 40 million source items
- Integrated and simultaneous searching across multiple databases
- Biological Abstracts
- Biosis Citation Index
- CAB Abstracts
- Cab Global Health
- Chinese Science Citation Database
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index
- Current Contents Connect
- Data Citation Index
- Derwent Innovations Index
- Essential Science Indicators
- Food Science Technology Abstracts
- Highly Cited
- Journal Citation Reports
- Web of Science
- Zoological Record
Other bibliographic databases:
- CSA databases
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Dialog (online database)
- Energy Citations Database
- Energy Science and Technology Database
- Geographic Names Information System
- Materials Science Citation Index
- PASCAL database
- Science Citation Index
- SPIN bibliographic database
- VINITI Database RAS
- List of academic journal search engines
- Overview and Description. ISI Web of Knowledge. Thomson Reuters. 2010. Accessed on 2010-06-24
- Tutorial. ISI Web of Knowledge. Thomson Reuters. 2010. Accessed on 2010-06-24
- "Web of Knowledge > Real Facts > Quality and Quantity". Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- ISI Web of Knowledge (2010). "Suite of databases" (List of databases that are part of the Web of Knowledge suite.). Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- ISI Web of Knowledge platform (2010). "Available databases A to Z" (Choose databases on method of discovery and analysis). Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge. Thomson Reuters, 2013.