ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS) is a standardization subcommittee, which is part of the Joint Technical Committee ISO/IEC JTC 1 of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 was formed at the October 2009 ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary Meeting in Tel Aviv via approval of Resolution 36, establishing the new subcommittee. The international secretariat of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), located in the United States. The first meeting of the subcommittee took place in Beijing, China in May 2010. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 approved its scope, established three working groups and developed terms of reference for each at this inaugural meeting.
Scope and mission
The scope of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is the “Standardization for interoperable Distributed Application Platforms and Services.”  This includes:
The original objective of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 was to provide the definition, terminology, and value proposition for Cloud Computing, and to identify the requirements for standardization within ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 based on a gap analysis of current DAPS standards.
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 is made up of three working groups (WGs). Each working group carries out specific tasks in standards development within the field of Distributed Application Platforms and Services, where the focus of each working group is described in the group’s terms of reference. The three working groups of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are:
|Working Group||Working Area|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 1||Web Services|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 2||Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 3||Cloud Computing|
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 works closely with a number of other JTC 1 subcommittees, including ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 7, Software and Systems Engineering, and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27, IT Security Techniques. In addition, the subcommittee works with a number of external agencies, such as the Cloud Security Alliance, Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF), the Open Grid Forum and The Open Group. Together, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 (specifically WG 3: Cloud Computing) and ITU-T/SG 13 form the Collaborative Teams on Cloud Computing Overview and Vocabulary (CT-CCVOCAB) and Cloud Computing Reference Architecture (CT-CCRA). The purpose of the collaboration is to develop a common text, in the form of a new standard, between the two groups based on two documents: Draft new Recommendation Y.CCdef Cloud Computing Definition and Vocabulary (from ITU-T Q.26/13), and ISO/IEC WD 17788 – Cloud Computing Vocabulary and ISO/IEC WD 17789 – Cloud Computing Reference Architecture (from ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38/WG 3). ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 also worked together with the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA), when it adopted its Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) specification as an international standard (ISO/IEC 17826) in 2012. When used by cloud computing providers or cloud storage providers, the CDMI standard allows for better interoperability and portability between service providers and enhances the type of storage that can be provided to customers. In addition, it allows for the safe movement of data between the public and private clouds, and is the first industry-developed open standard specifically applicable to data storage.
Countries pay a fee to ISO to be members of subcommittees.
The 27 "P" (participating) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Israel and United States of America.
The 8 "O" (observing) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 are: Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, Serbia, and Uruguay.
As of 2013, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 has 8 published standards, and 5 standards are under development in DAPS. Some standards within the field of DAPS published by ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 include:
|ISO/IEC 17963||Web Services for Management (WS-Management) Specification||Published (2013)||Describes a Web services protocol based on SOAP for use in management‑specific domains||1|
|ISO/IEC TR 30102||Information technology – Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS) – General technical principles of Service Oriented Architecture||Published (2012)||Describes general technical principles underlying SOA including principles relating to functional design, performance, development, deployment and management||2|
|ISO/IEC 17998||Information technology – SOA Governance Framework||Published (2012)||Describes a framework for providing context and definitions related to SOA for organizations to use when deploying SOA governance. Defines:
|ISO/IEC 17826||Information technology – Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI)||Published (2012)||Specifies the interface to access cloud storage and to manage the stored data||3|
The types of standards that are currently under development or published within ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38, by working group, include:
- WG 1: Web Services standards: address areas directly related to web services. Developed mainly by consortia members and approved through the JTC 1 PAS Process and Fast Track.
- WG 2: SOA standards: outline a single set of SOA technical principals and terminology to be used as a guide for future SOA solutions
- WG 3: Cloud Computing (CC) standards: define cloud computing vocabulary and reference architecture, including general concepts and characteristics of Cloud Computing, types of Cloud Computing, components of Cloud Computing, and Cloud Computing roles and actors. The standards also:
- ISO/IEC JTC1
- List of ISO standards
- American National Standards Institute
- International Organization for Standardization
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- ISO. "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 - Distributed application platforms and services (DAPS)". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Deutsch, Donald; Peacock, Marisa (2012-10-02). "Business Plan for JTC 1/SC 38 - Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS)". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Canadian Advisory Committee". 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- ISO. "JTC 1/SC 38 Distributed Application Platforms and Services (DAPS)". ISO. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Krutz, Ronald L.; Vines, Russell Dean (2010). Cloud Security: A Comprehensive Guide to Secure Cloud Computing. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Publishing, Inc. p. 225. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Piprani, Baba (2013-05-26). SC38 Liaison Report for SC32 meetings (Report). Gyeongju, Korea.
- O’Gara, Maureen (2011-04-24). "Cloud Security Alliance & ISO/IEC Team Up". Cloud Ventures (SYS-CON Media, Inc). Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ITU. "Collaborative Team for Cloud Computing Overview and Vocabulary (CT-CCVOCAB)". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ITU. "Terms of Reference of the Collaborative Team for Cloud Computing Overview and Vocabulary". Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- ISO (2012). "ISO/IEC 17826:2012". Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- SNIA (2012-10-16). "SNIA Cloud Data Management Interface Specification Earns ISO/IEC Designation as an International Standard". SNIA. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- IEC (2012-10-24). "IEC and ISO recognize SNIA cloud computing data management interface as International Standard". Geneva, Switzerland: IEC. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Henderson, Nicole (2012-10-22). "SNIA’s Cloud Data Management Interface Gains International Standard Designation". iNet Interactive. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Mearian, Lucas (2012-10-19). "Cloud Storage Specification Gets ISO Approval". Santa Clara, California: Computerworld Inc. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- ISO (June 2012). "III. What Help Can I Get from the ISO Central Secretariat?". ISO Membership Manual. ISO. pp. 17–18. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ISO. "Standards Catalogue". Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ISO (2012-08-31). "ISO/IEC 17998:2012". ISO. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Nahari, Hadi; Krutz, Ronald L. (2011-05-05). Web Commerce Security: Design and Development. John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Deutsch, Donald (December 2011). "Cloud Computing". ISO Focus +. pp. 12–14. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Carlson, M. (2011-05-16). Draft Study Group on Cloud Computing Report V.2 (Report). ISO/IEC. p. 11. http://dmtf.org/sites/default/files/ISO-IECJTC1-SC38_N0282_Draft_Study_Group_on_Cloud_Computing_.pdf. Retrieved 2013-07-16.