ISO/PAS 28000:2007 (Specification for security management systems for the supply chain) is an International Organization for Standardization publicly available specification on requirements of a security management system particularly dealing with security assurance in the supply chain.
ISO 28000:2007 was developed to codify operations of security within the broader supply chain management system. The PDCA management systems structure was adopted in developing ISO 28000:2007 to bring the elements of this standard in congruence with related standards such as ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001:2004.
Improved risk management integration
The development of an international standard addressing security risk management improves the broader interface with existing enterprise risk management in a common integrated platform. This integrated approach to risk management is often employed to better coordinate cross functional risk management mechanisms, improve performance measurement, ensure continual improvement and reducing misalignment of risk management objectives between silos.
ISO 28000:2007 was developed such that organizations of varying scale could apply the standard to supply chains of various degrees of complexity.
The general rational for organizations to adopt ISO 28000:2007 pertains to:
- developing a security management system,
- internal compliance with objectives of a security management policy,
- external compliance with best practice benchmarks,
- ISO accreditation.
Adopting the ISO 28000 has broad strategic, organisational and operational benefits that are realized throughout supply chains and business practices.
Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Integrated enterprise resilience
- Systematised management practices
- Enhanced credibility and brand recognition
- Aligned terminology and conceptual usage
- Improved supply chain performance
- Benchmarking against internationally recognisable criteria
- Greater compliance processes
ISO 28000:2007 is a certifiable standard.
- Enterprise Resilience
- International Organization for Standardization
- ISO 31000
- Security risk
- Security Risk Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Supply Chain Security
- Total Security Management
- ISO 28004: 2007 Guidelines for implementation of ISO 28000
- Siegal, M. Standards Changing the World of Security Professionals. ASIS International: Virtual Seminar. 2008
- Integrated Risk Management
- Building SRM into Business Practice
- ISO 28000: 2007 Specifications for security risk management systems for the supply chain http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnumber=44641