|Studio album by Soulja Boy|
|Released||December 16, 2008|
|Genre||Snap, southern hip hop|
|Label||SOD, Collipark, Interscope|
|Producer||Soulja Boy (exec), Drumma Boy, Natural Disaster, Polow da Don, Jim Jonsin, Mr. Collipark, Mr. Hanky, Zaytoven, John Boy, DJ GB,|
|Soulja Boy chronology|
|Singles from iSouljaBoyTellem|
iSouljaBoyTellem is the second studio album by American rapper Soulja Boy. It was released on December 16, 2008 on SOD Entertainment, Collipark Music and Interscope Records. The album was mostly produced by Soulja Boy along with Drumma Boy, Polow da Don, Jim Jonsin and Zaytoven, and featured contributions from Gucci Mane, Shawty Lo of D4L, Sammie, Sean Kingston and Yo Gotti.
iSouljaBoyTellem debuted at number forty-three on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 46,000 copies in its first week of sales and spawned three singles: "Bird Walk", "Kiss Me thru the Phone" and "Turn My Swag On". The album received mixed to negative reviews upon release from critics who saw it as recycled material from his previous album.
The album's original first single was to be Soulja Boy's song "iDance," which was released online in 2008, but was dropped from the album for unknown reasons, with the possibility of "Bird Walk" catering more towards Soulja Boy's original breakout single Crank That (Soulja Boy).
"Bird Walk", was released as the album's first single on October 23, 2008. The song only managed to peak at number two on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" featuring Sammie, was released on as the second single on November 28, 2008. It peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US, becoming the rapper's second top ten hit. "Turn My Swag On", was released as the third single on January 26, 2009. It peaked at number nineteen on the Hot 100 in the US.
iSouljaBoyTellem was met with mixed to negative reviews from music critics who felt that it was recycled material from his previous album. David Jeffries of AllMusic said that the album came up short when trying to re-create the success of "Crank That" but praised "Shopping Spree" in that it "suggests some crossover hopes and desire for hardcore rap acceptance." Steve 'Flash' Juon of RapReviews said that the music "improved drastically" but still found the lyrics to be "as vapid and materialistic as it was before," concluding with, "Your best bet is to find a website you can listen to snippets of this album on and if one or two tracks strike your fancy, buy those. A whole album of SB's idiotic raps is still too much for one man or woman to take no matter how much better the beats are." Christian Hoard of Rolling Stone also commented on how the beats were more bulky but the delivery in the songs lacked charm in them.
|1.||"I'm Bout tha Stax" (Intro)||Drumma Boy||3:20|
|2.||"Bird Walk"||Soulja Boy, Mr. Collipark||3:33|
|3.||"Turn My Swag On"||Natural Disaster, Top Cat||3:26|
|4.||"Gucci Bandanna" (featuring Gucci Mane & Shawty Lo)||Soulja Boy||3:56|
|6.||"Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (featuring Sammie)||Jim Jonsin, Mr. Collipark||3:13|
|7.||"Booty Got Swag (Donk Part 2)"||Soulja Boy||3:06|
|8.||"Rubber Bands"||Drumma Boy||4:14|
|9.||"Hey You There"||Soulja Boy||3:52|
|10.||"Yamaha Mama" (featuring Sean Kingston)||Polow da Don||4:38|
|11.||"Wit My Yums On"||Soulja Boy||3:28|
|12.||"Go Head" (featuring Juney Boomdata)||Soulja Boy||3:41|
|13.||"Shoppin' Spree" (featuring Gucci Mane & Yo Gotti)||Mr. Hanky||4:46|
|14.||"Soulja Boy Tell 'Em"||John Boy||3:31|
|15.||"Whoop Rico" (featuring Show Stoppas)||DJGB||4:06|
|16.||"I Pray" (Outro)||Drumma Boy||5:48|
|iTunes Store bonus track|
|17.||"Twerk Fest"||Mr. Hanky||3:39|
|US Billboard 200||43|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||8|
|US Top Rap Albums (Billboard)||18|
Adapted from the iSouljaBoyTellem liner notes.
- Michael "Mr. ColliPark" Crooms: executive producer
- Derrick Crooms: Collipark Music A&R, Rockfort Management
- Charlotte Crooms: Collipark Music Administrative Coordinator
- Phillip Ransom, Esq.: Music Legal Representation for Soulja Boy
- Karl Marcellus Washington, Esq.: Legal Representation for Collipark Music Inc.
- DJ Mormile & Manny Smith: Interscope A&R
- Terrence Nelson: A&R Coordinator
- Brian Washington: marketing director
- Ravid Yosef: All Things Mobile
- Aaron Foreman & Kendra Ellis: digital marketing
- Greg Miller: publicity
- Randy Sosin: video production
- Michael Cole & Jennifer Zeller: video promotion
- Don Robinson: international marketing
- Erika Savage: business affairs
- Ianthe Zevos: creative
- SLANG Inc.: art direction/design
- Zach Wolfe: photography
- Cliff Feiman: production supervisor
- Barone, Matt (December 31, 2010). "Soulja Boy, "Growing Pains" [XXL November 2010 Magazine Feature]". XXL. Harris Publications. Archived from the original on January 7, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "iTunes - Music Videos - Soulja Boy Tell 'Em by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em". iTunes. Apple. January 6, 2009. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "iTunes - Music Videos - Gucci Bandanna by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em". iTunes. Apple. April 23, 2009. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Jeffries, David. "iSouljaboytellem - Soulja Boy Tell Em". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Ogle, Ryan (December 24, 2008). "Album Reviews: iSouljaboytellem by Soulja Boy". ARTISTdirect. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (March 2009). "Consumer Guide Album – Soulja Boy Tell 'Em: iSouljaboytellem". MSN. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- MacPherson, Alex (June 19, 2009). "Review: Soulja Boy Tell'em, iSouljaBoyTellem". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Leonard, III, Alfred H. (December 24, 2008). "Soulja Boy - iSouljaBoyTellem". IGN. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Abravanel, David (January 27, 2009). "Soulja Boy Tell 'Em: iSouljaBoyTellem". PopMatters. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Juon, Steve (December 30, 2008). "Soulja Boy :: iSouljaBoyTellem :: ColliPark/Interscope Records". RapReviews. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Soulja Boy Tell' Em: iSouljaBoyTellem at the Wayback Machine (archived April 30, 2009)
- "Soulja Boy Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Soulja Boy.
- "Soulja Boy Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums for Soulja Boy.
- "Soulja Boy Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top Rap Albums for Soulja Boy.
- iSouljaBoyTellem (liner notes). Soulja Boy. Collipark. Interscope. 2008.