ITU Telecom World
|ITU Telecom World|
|Genre||ICT (Information and Communication Technologies)|
ITU Telecom is part of the ITU (International Telecommunication Union), the United Nations specialized agency for telecommunications. ITU Telecom organizes global events for the governments, industry leaders and regulators that form part of the world’s ICT community. The first ITU Telecom event was held in 1971 and since its fortieth anniversary in 2011, ITU Telecom World has been held on an annual basis.
ITU Telecom World 2014 will take place in Doha, Qatar from 7 - 10 December, 2014. Bringing together public and private sectors, emerging markets and industry investors, the event will explore the current massive disruption of the ICT sector and its implications for the future.
The first ITU Telecom World event was held in 1971. It quickly established itself as the leading exhibition and forum for the global ICT industry. Bringing together representatives of governments, regulators and industry, the event has provided a forum for some of the industry’s most influential people to collaborate and engage in high-level dialogue on the major challenges facing the sector.
In 1985, the ITU Telecom staged its first regional telecommunication exhibition in the Asia-Pacific region – Asia Telecom85. This was followed the next year by its first regional event in the Africa region — Africa Telecom86. By 1992, the series of regional telecommunication exhibitions was completed with the first such events in the Americas region — Americas Telecom 88 and in the Europe region - Europa Telecom 1992.
ITU Telecom World 2009 was attended by over 2,250 VIPs, including UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Heads of State, Heads of Government, Ministers, Ambassadors, heads of regulatory agencies, and CEOs from around the world. Through a series of top-level roundtables, meetings and debates, the event addressed pressing issues such as climate change, global economic recovery and cybersecurity.
In a departure from previous events, ITU Telecom World 2011 dispensed with a traditional exhibition show floor and instead focused on facilitating knowledge sharing, networking, deal making and consensus building. By addressing the major trends and challenges facing the ICT industry – at both a governmental and industry level – ITU Telecom World 2011 provided a forum for high level debate and decision-making.
World '11 was attended by 6500 industry professionals including Heads of State and Government, Ministers, City Mayors, Industry CEOs and technology gurus; of these, 332 leaders participated in the exclusive Broadband Leadership Summit, part of the Broadband Commission for Digital Development.
251 influential speakers from 64 countries took part in the multi- streamed conference agenda. For the first time, young innovators played a key part of the event agenda, with 10,000 students from schools across the globe, sharing their work with 150,000 of their classmates across five continents through a parallel Metaconference.
In addition, 258 stands from 235 participating companies from 41 countries were represented on the Show Floor; and 324 accredited media from around including major global broadcasters, news agencies, specialised technology and financial press.
ITU Telecom World 2012
In 2012, the event moved to Dubai, where it was hosted by the UAE Telecommunications Regulatory Authority. ITU Telecom World 2012 addressed five 'game changing' themes: leadership and innovation at both the government and corporate level; delivering broadband through unorthodox business models that can shift industry dynamics; beyond connectivity including major issues such as cybersecurity; smart applications including mHealth, M2M and Cloud Computing; and designing the future through human-centric networks and converging technologies.
Over 3,000 top-levelparticipants took part in World 12, including Heads of State andGovernment, Ministers, industry CEOs, consultants, academics and thoughtleaders, as well as senior representatives of UN agencies and remote participants from around the world interacting in real-time viawebcasts and twitter streams. A total of 232 influential speakers from 64 countriestook part in over 55 interactivesessions, exploring the challenges and opportunities arising from thecurrent transformation of the ICT industry from the contrasting perspectives ofbusiness strategy, government policy and technology.
ITU Telecom World 2013
ITU Telecom World 2013 took place on 19–22 November 2013 in Bangkok, Thailand. The big themes addressed included the way people communicate with each other, the dominant players in the ICT sector, business models, technological capabilities, standardization and regulatory regimes to accommodate new technologies and industry dynamics, and government policies to provide security and avoid deepening the digital divide.
Over 6,000 influential participants took part on the showfloor, in networking activities and interactive Forum panel sessions over the course of the four days of World 13. 22 National and thematic pavilions joined 166 showfloor participants from 33 countries showcasing the best of regional innovation, technology, partnership and investment opportunities. A total of 239 expert speakers explored the current dramatic transformation of the industry in the course of 58 Forum panel debates, workshops and discussions.
- Telecom 71 (Geneva)
- Telecom 75 (Geneva)
- Telecom 79 (Geneva)
- Telecom 83 (Geneva)
- Asia Telecom 1985 (Singapore)
- Africa Telecom 1986 (Nairobi)
- Telecom 87 (Geneva)
- Americas Telecom 1988 (Rio)
- Asia Telecom 1989 (Singapore)
- Africa Telecom 1990 (Harare)
- Telecom 91(Geneva)
- Europa Telecom 1992 (Budapest)
- Americas Telecom 1992 (Acapulco)
- Asia Telecom 1993 (Singapore)
- Africa Telecom 1994 (Cairo)
- Telecom 95 (Geneva)
- Americas Telecom 1996 (Rio)
- Interactive 97(Geneva)
- Asia Telecom 1997 (Singapore)
- Africa Telecom 1998 (Johannesburg)
- Telecom 99 (Geneva)
- ITU Telecom Asia 2000 (Hong Kong)
- ITU Telecom Americas 2000 (Rio)
- ITU Telecom Africa 2001 (Johannesburg)
- ITU Telecom Asia 2002 (Hong Kong)
- ITU Telecom Americas 2003 (Buenos Aires)
- ITU Telecom World 2003 (Geneva)
- ITU Telecom Africa 2004 (Cairo)
- ITU Telecom Asia 2004 (Busan)
- ITU Telecom Americas 2005 (Bahia)
- ITU Telecom World 2006 (Hong Kong)
- ITU Telecom Asia 2008 (Bangkok)
- ITU Telecom Africa 2008 (Cairo)
- ITU Telecom World 2009 (Geneva)
- ITU Telecom World 2011 (Geneva)
- ITU Telecom World 2012 (Dubai)
- "UN Secretary General calls ICT industry to arms over climate change", Total Telecom (5 October 2009)
- "Public private partnership", Telecoms.com (15 September 2009)
- "Friday Review: Small but Perfectly Formed?", Total Telecom (9 October 2009)
- ITU press release: "ITU Telecom World 2011 sets new paradigm for top-level networking, knowledge-sharing" (27 October 2011)
- "ITU showcases protoboffins, hands them £6k each", The Register (1 November 2011)
- Ewan McIntosh sums up the ITU Telecom World 11 Metaconference #world11kids
- "TRA forms committee to host three ITU events this year in Dubai", The Gulf Today (8 August 2012)
- ITU Telecom World 2012
- Press Release: "Dubai welcomes ITU Telecom World 2012; Next stop Bangkok" (15 October 2012)
- ITU Telecom World 2013 Call for Papers