IT Corporation was a United States industrial company whose principal business was the disposal of industrial hazardous waste. At least as early as the 1970s the company was one of the largest market share holders of the liquid hazardous waste disposal sector in the western U.S. One of the principal facilities was a large set of industrial waste disposal ponds in Martinez, California.
The business activities of IT fell under strict regulation by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and the State of California Regional Water Quality Control Board, as well as the Contra Costa County Health Department.
Air quality oversight
Because of the proximity of the Martinez ponds to sensitive receptors (including residences), there is a history of odor complaints from individuals, especially on low wind velocity days where the ponds are upwind of residences. IT established an "on call" air monitoring response to test odor whenever the city of Martinez received a citizen complaint. These tests together with routine periodic monitoring provided an extensive database to assist in managing waste pond decision-making.
Water Quality oversight
For protection of groundwater, IT conducted regular groundwater and waste pond sampling to test for a range of analytes as well as pH. These test results were submitted to the county health department and the state water board. Generally water quality testing confirmed the satisfactory operation of IT's liner control program.
Bankruptcy sale on winding up business
In early 2002, after IT declaring bankruptcy, substantially all IT assets and some liabilities were sold to the Shaw Group. Prior to declaring bankruptcy, IT Corporation was involved in the Encanto Gas Holder decommissioning for San Diego Gas and Electric, and the IT project manager for the decommissioning is a named defendant in the environmental crimes trial United States v. San Diego Gas and Electric (2007).
- Planning File on IT Corporation Waste Ponds, City of Martinez Planning Department, 1975-1986
- Odor testing for IT waste ponds, Martinez, California, prepared for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District by Earth Metrics, 1977-1984
- Water quality Sampling Data for IT Corporation's Martinez Waste Ponds, Contra Costa County Health Department, 1974-1988
- The Shaw Group Inc. Signs Asset Purchase Agreement to Purchase Substantially All of the Assets of the IT Group, Inc.
- SDG&E asbestos-removal trial begins