IT University of Copenhagen
|IT University of Copenhagen|
|IT-Universitetet i København|
|Motto||Dedicated to the digital world|
The IT University of Copenhagen was established in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1999. At that time, it was - in Danish - called "IT-højskolen". In 2003, when a new Danish University Law  was passed, the IT University was officially appointed a University, the twelfth and smallest university in Denmark, and therefore changed its name to the IT University of Copenhagen - IT-Universitetet i København in Danish.
In 2004, the university moved to its own new building in Ørestad, right next to the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Copenhagen and the newly established headquarters of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR). The new building was designed by Danish architect Henning Larsen.
The university originally only accepted students with a Bachelor's degree to its offered MSc programmes, but started its first Bachelor of Science programme in Software Development in August 2007. As of 2010 the IT University offers 3 Bachelor programmes (one of which is internationally oriented and taught in English), 4 MSc study programmes (two of which are internationally oriented and are taught in English), 4 Professional Master's study programmes, a Diploma programme and approximately 100 single subjects each semester.
The IT University is a mono-faculty university with a cross-disciplinary approach to the studying of information technology and the field is approached from a variety of perspectives: natural sciences (traditional computer science), software engineering, computer-supported cooperative work, the design and use of IT, e-business, computer games studies, and the social, cultural and aesthetic aspects of IT.
Administration and Organisation
The IT University is governed by a board consisting of 9 members: 5 members recruited from outside of the university form the majority of the board, 1 member is appointed by the scientific staff, 1 member is appointed by the administrative staff, and 2 members are appointed by the university students. The Vice Chancellor is appointed by the university board. The Vice Chancellor in turn appoints deans and deans appoint heads of departments. There is no faculty senate and faculty is not involved in the appointment of Vice Chancellor, deans, or department heads. Hence the university has no faculty governance.
Bachelor programmes (BSc in IT / BSc i it):
Master of Science study programmes (MSc in IT / Cand. it.)
- Digital Design and Communication (DA)
- Digital Innovation & Management(E-Business)
- Games (EN)
- Software Development and Technology (EN)
Diploma in IT
The diploma allows you to piece together your own unique education package from all the single courses at the university.
Professional Master's study programmes (Master of IT)
- IT Management and Strategy (DA)
- Organisation and Implementation (DA)
- Interaction Design and Multimedia (DA)
- Software Construction (DA)
The IT University has more than 100 courses to choose from.
The stated objective of the university's research is to strengthen Denmark's ability to create value with IT. The research aims to provide new insight that could be the foundation for new types of interaction, new breakthroughs in digital culture, better resource optimization, technological innovation and much more. An important part of the research is the PhD program. Each year, The IT University enrolls PhD students from all over the world. These students work closely with the faculty on their research projects in order to develop their research skills and their international network. The IT University has a web page devoted to its research initiatives.
Notable spin-off companies
- Extract from "Universitetsloven", "Retsinformation.dk" (in Danish):https://www.retsinformation.dk/forms/r0710.aspx?id=132450
- "IT-Højskolen skifter navn" (in Danish), article from Computerworld.dk: http://www.computerworld.dk/art/19657/it-hoejskolen-skifter-navn
- About the Ørestad://www.orestad.dk/Orestad/Fakta/~/media/Orestad/pdf/Godt-begyndt_web.ashx
- Website: "Humanities in Copenhagen University": http://www.humanities.ku.dk/
- ABout the building from "Henning Larsen: The IT University - projects": http://da.henninglarsen.com/projekter/0400-0599/0538-it-universitetet.aspx
- "The IT University has pointed out its Board"/"IT-Universitetet har udpeget sin bestyrelse" (in Danish): From Guide24.dk: http://www.guide24.dk/artikel/ituniversitetet-har-udpeget-sin-bestyrelse.htm
- Mads Tofte continues as vice chancellor of the IT University: http://www.oresund.org/it/news2/news-archive/2009/mads-tofe-continues-as-vice-chancellor-of-the-it-university
- "Bestyrelsen - IT-Universitetet i København". Retrieved 2009-11-20.