Phase One Media Pro
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (December 2012)|
Screenshot of Media Pro 1 running on Mac OS X
|Original author(s)||iView Multimedia|
|Stable release||1.3.2 / July 17, 2012|
|Type||Image organizer and digital asset management|
Phase One Media Pro (formerly Microsoft Expression Media and iView Media Pro) is a commercial digital asset management cataloging program for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. It is the next version of iView MediaPro which Microsoft acquired in June 2006, and sold again in May 2010 to Phase One, which also makes the Capture One raw converter software. The software is aimed at professionals and photo enthusiasts who need a photo manager which makes it easier to manage photo and video assets, especially very large resolution image files and libraries with many items.
Media Pro makes it possible to catalog and sort images and other media files. The user is able to organize and categorize without being limited to assets' actual folder locations, add metadata including IPTC annotations, and locate assets which may spread over multiple folder and drive locations, including offline discs. As well as cataloging, Media Pro can print (into formats like contact sheets and lists), build web galleries, convert to other formats and build slideshows.
Media Pro supports photo and video files from more than 100 different cameras and is built to manage large photo libraries (especially very large raw, tiff and jpeg files). It is also capable of handling audio, DTP, font, text and HTML files.
Although Media Pro is primarily used to catalog photographic images, it is capable of indexing and converting many additional classes of files. This includes the most popular formats of audio and video files, which can be organized, played in the catalog itself, and converted to derivative file types. This capability makes Media Pro useful for photographers and other media professionals who need to create, manage and make use of different media types.
History and releases
The original predecessor of Phase One Media Pro are iView Media Pro 3 from iView Multimedia and Microsoft Expression Media from Microsoft. On 27 June 2007, Microsoft acquired iView Multimedia. Eventually, Microsoft released Microsoft Expression Media, which replaced iView Media Pro 3.
Microsoft Expression Media was released to manufacturing along with other Expression products on 30 April 2007. The RTM news was announced at Microsoft's MIX 07 conference for web developers and designers. In September 2007, Microsoft released Expression Media Service Pack 1 for Windows and Mac which adds support for HD Photo. Expression Media 2 was released in May 2008 as part of Expression Studio 2. Expression Media 2 Service Pack 1 was released in October 2008. The latest version is Expression Media 2 Service Pack 2, which requires SP1 to be installed.
Expression Media however, did not last. On 23 July 2009, Expression Studio 3 was released, but left out Expression Media.
On 25 May 2010, Phase One acquired Expression Media from Microsoft and changed the name. Media Pro was released in September 2011 and features support for larger catalogs, compatibility between Media Pro and Capture One, an updated user interface, support for XMP sidecar files and latest camera formats for photo and video files.
- "Media Pro". MacUpdate. MacUpdate LLC. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Media Pro for Mac". Download.com. CBS Interactive. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Media Pro FAQ". phaseone.com. Phase One. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Media Pro 1 photo manager". Phaseone.com. Phase One. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Phase One launches Media Pro asset management tool: Digital Photography Review". DPReview. Digital Photography Review. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Microsoft Corp acquires iView Multimedia Ltd". Thomson Financial. 2006-06-27. Retrieved 2008-10-31.[dead link]
- "Downloads". iView Home. Microsoft Corporation. 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
Please Note: It is no longer possible to buy MediaPro from any source. MediaPro has become Microsoft Expression Media. These downloads are made available for existing customers only.[dead link]
- "Expression Studio RTM news". Expression Blend and Design blog. Microsoft. 30 April 2007. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Description of Microsoft Expression Media Service Pack 1". Microsoft Support. Microsoft. 29 September 2007. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Microsoft Expression Studio 3 Released!". MSDN Blog Schweiz. Microsoft. 24 July 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Phase One team (25 May 2010). "Phase One acquires Expression Media Product". Microsoft. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Media Pro". nikonians.org. 25 August 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2012.