9th arrondissement of Paris
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|9th arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement.
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Jacques Bravo|
|• Total||2.18 km2 (0.84 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)[p]|
|• Estimate (2005)||58,500|
|• Density||26,000/km2 (66,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The 9th arrondissement (IXe arrondissement), located on the Right Bank, is one of the 20 arrondissements of Paris, France. It contains many places of cultural, historical, and architectural interest, including the Palais Garnier, home to the Paris Opera, Boulevard Haussmann and its large department stores of Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. Along with the 2nd and 8th arrondissements, it hosts one of the business centers of Paris, located around the Opéra.
The land area of this arrondissement is 2.179 km2 (0.841 sq. miles, or 538 acres).
Main streets and squares
Places of interest
- Bibliothèque-Musée de l'Opéra National de Paris
- Paris Olympia
- Folies Bergère at 32, rue Richer
- Fondation Dosne-Thiers
- Hôtel Drouot, auction house
- Opera Garnier ("Paris Opera")
- Galeries Lafayette (flagship store) at 40, boulevard Haussmann
- Printemps department store (flagship store)
- Musée de la Franc-Maçonnerie
- Musée Grévin
- Musée Gustave Moreau at 14, rue de la Rochefoucauld
- Musée du Parfum
- Musée de la Vie Romantique
- Parts of Pigalle area
- Takashimaya Paris
Until June 1995 the head office of Société Générale was in this arrondissement. On that month the head office moved to the Société Générale Towers. The former head office remains as the company's registered office.
The peak population of the 9th arrondissement occurred in 1901, when it had 124,011 inhabitants. Since then, the arrondissement has widely attracted business activity. As a result, the population was in 1999 only 55,838 inhabitants, while it held 111,939 jobs.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km²)
|1901 (peak of population)||124,011||56,912|
- "Nous contacter". Wikimedia France. Retrieved on 8 May 2010.
- "Contacts". Groupe Danone. Retrieved on 23 March 2010.
- "Danone : regrouper les salariés dans un même bâtiment". Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 26 July 2010.
- "Legal Information". BNP Paribas. Retrieved on 25 October 2011. "Registered Office : 16, Bd des Italiens - 75009 Paris (France)"
- "Office Locations". Kroll Inc. Retrieved on 14 August 2011. "Paris Place de l’Opéra 6 rue Halévy 75009 Paris France"
- "Société Générale : deux tours à la Défense". Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "Legal information". Société Générale. Retrieved on 24 September 2009.
- Media related to Paris IXe arrondissement at Wikimedia Commons
- 9th arrondissement travel guide from Wikivoyage