Front page of the first edition of The i
Tri Active Media (iOS edition)
|Headquarters||Northcliffe House, London,
|Circulation||304,691 (October 2012)|
|Sister newspapers||The Independent
The Independent on Sunday
The i is a British newspaper published by Independent Print, owned by Alexander Lebedev, which also publishes The Independent. The newspaper, which is aimed at "readers and lapsed readers" of all ages and commuters with limited time, costs 20 pence, and was launched on 26 October 2010.
In October 2012 it had an average daily circulation of 304,691, significantly more than The Independent and a 44% increase over the past year.
Starting on 7 May 2011 a Saturday edition was published, with more pages and at the price of 30 pence. This increased to 40p in January 2014, with the daily rising to 30p.
The i is tabloid size and stapled, and the first issue contained 56 pages. The newspaper contains "matrices" for news, business and sports—small paragraphs of information which are expanded upon in full articles further on in the paper. The title also includes a features section titled iQ, and a television guide. The managing director of The Independent stated several days before the newspaper went into print that the publication is designed for people who do not have much time to read a newspaper. On 20 April 2011, editor Simon Kelner announced that a Saturday edition of The i would be published, starting from 7 May 2011 and costing 30 pence, 10 pence more than the weekday version. The paper is now running Monday to Saturday. The paper now runs a subscription, whereby customers can buy pre-paid vouchers to exchange for their copy of the paper. The subscription can be either six months or a year long and can be chosen Monday to Friday or including Saturday. There is also a discounted student subscription that lasts for one academic year.
A press statement released on the website of The Independent on 19 October 2010 announced the launch of The i. Also in October, Independent Print Limited launched an advertising campaign to promote the new publication. The first issue of The i went on sale on 26 October 2010, along with a new-look version of The Independent.
- "The i for iPad on the App Store". Apple. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- William Turvill "Amol Rajan is made editor of The Independent as Chris Blackhurst becomes group content director", Press Gazette, 17 June 2013
- Solon, Olivia (19 October 2010). "The Independent to launch 20p sister paper, 'The i'". wired.co.uk. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "From today: The i - A new daily newspaper for 20p". London: The Independent. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Sweney, Mark (18 October 2010). "Independent's new daily i to target 'lapsed readers of quality papers'". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Sweney, Mark (9 November 2012). "i sees 8% monthly circulation boost". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Kelner, Simon (20 April 2011). "Letter from the editor: i on Saturday". London: The Independent.