I Am Not a Human Being
|I Am Not a Human Being|
|Studio album by Lil Wayne|
|Released||September 27, 2010
(see release history)
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Producer||Lil Wayne (exec.), Cortez Bryant (exec.), Ronald "Slim" Williams (exec.), Birdman (exec.), Kane Beatz, DJ Infamous, Drew Correa, The Olympicks, Cool & Dre, Jahlil Beats, StreetRunner, Infamous, Drew Correa, Noah "40" Shebib, DVLP, Boi-1da, Mr. Pyro, Mike Banger, Matthew Burnett|
|Lil Wayne chronology|
|Singles from I Am Not a Human Being|
I Am Not a Human Being is the eighth studio album by American rapper Lil Wayne; it had a digital release on September 27, 2010 and on Compact Disc on October 12, 2010, by Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, and Universal Motown. It was recorded prior to Wayne's eight-month prison term for criminal possession of a weapon. Production for the album was handled by Wayne and several record producers, including Boi-1da, Cool & Dre, StreetRunner, Noah "40" Shebib and DJ Infamous, among others.
Upon its release, I Am Not a Human Being received generally favorable reviews from music critics, who drew comparisons to Wayne's earlier works. The album debuted at number two on the U.S. Billboard 200, based on its first-week digital sales alone. Following its physical release, it topped the chart, becoming Lil Wayne's second US number-one album and the first studio album since Tupac Shakur's Me Against the World in 1995 to reach the top slot on the Billboard 200 while its artist was jailed. Its lead single "Right Above It" became a top-ten hit in the United States. The album has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.
On August 4, 2010, Billboard announced that Lil Wayne would release an EP called I Am Not a Human Being and would have a single from the EP called "Right Above It". The single debuted on DJ Funkmaster Flex's show, which Lil Wayne called and gave an interview. The album is a prelude to Lil Wayne's album Tha Carter IV.
"I'm putting out a [Wayne] album called I Am Not a Human Being and I'll probably drop it on his birthday, September 27...I'm not even putting it out in stores. We just gonna put it out virally and maybe package it up for Christmas. Give 'em a hard copy later for fan appreciation."
Vibe magazine spoke with DJ Scoob Doo about Tha Carter IV and I Am Not a Human Being. This is what Scoob Doo had to say:
"I got videos for the Carter IV and the I’m not a Human Being EP all ready. I can’t say the name of the song but Wayne was singing on the hook, but they’re getting Drake to re-do it and it’s off the Human Being EP,” Scoob Doo says. “Carter IV is probably the best album I’ve heard in the last decade, but Wayne is such a different artist now that he wants to record new music when he comes home. The stuff he’s talking about now is just on another level. That’s why a lot of the songs on the EP were originally taken from the Carter IV.”
Lil Wayne’s manager Cortez Bryant told SPIN that that I Am Not a Human Being would actually be a full length album. Initially, the tracks were to be appear on Tha Carter IV, but Wayne decided to put the old tracks on the album so new music could be recorded for Tha Carter IV.
He uses no autotune on the album: according to Birdman, it's just "raw rap". The production to bonus track "YM Salute" was originally recorded by Young Jeezy and Ester Dean as potential material for Young Jeezy's forthcoming album TM 103.
Release and promotion
The last three tracks featured on the album's physical CD release, "YM Banger", "YM Salute", and "I Don't Like The Look Of It", were not initially included on the digital download version of the album: however, after the physical CD version was released, the tracks were added to the digital version of the album.
The album's lead single, "Right Above It" featuring Drake, was released to iTunes on August 17, 2010. The song debuted at number six on the US Billboard Hot 100, and at number one on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart.
The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart, with first-week digital sales of 110,000 downloads. In its second week, it dropped to number 16 on the chart and sold 23,000 digital copies. Following its CD release on October 12, the album sold 125,000 copies and moved up to number one on the Billboard 200 in its third week. It became Lil Wayne's second number-one album and seventh top-ten album in the US. As of November 18, 2011, the album was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America. As of September 5, 2011, the album has sold 953,000 in the USA.
|The A.V. Club||B–|
|Los Angeles Times|||
I Am Not a Human Being received generally positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 67, based on 17 reviews. Allmusic's David Jeffries stated, "This is too short and scattered to put on his top shelf, but it comes awfully close, which is downright astonishing considering the circumstances." Luke Bainsbridge of The Observer called the album "a return to classic Weezy". Rolling Stone writer Jody Rosen commended its "unadulterated fun" and Wayne's "irrepressibly wacked-out spirit", writing that the album "has the loose-limbed feel of the rapper's many mixtapes". Nathan Rabin of The A.V. Club commented that, "though Human Being feels more like a mix-tape stopgap than a proper album, it's nevertheless full of intriguing experiments and infectious tracks." Ben Detrick of Spin found its production "unfashionable", but stated "Though this is a flawed and scattershot project, Wayne remains an artist who makes music like a pâtissier–his songs are frivolous, delicious, and meant to be relished for just a moment". In his Consumer Guide, Robert Christgau gave the album a three-star honorable mention (), picking out three songs from the album ("I Am Not a Human Being," "Popular," and "I'm Single"), and said of Lil Wayne, "His throwaways beat their keepers, from solitary yet, but the true classics are all in the middle and the Young Money promos are filler." Uncut gave the album four stars out of five and called it "a far superior effort [than Rebirth]." Billboard gave it a score of 77 out of 100 and said it was "not as experimental as the rapper's previous rock-tinged "Rebirth" set that arrived earlier this year, and most fans will likely appreciate this." Wilson McBee of Prefix Magazine gave the album a score of 7.5 out of ten and said that "For most of [the album], it seems like Wayne has forgotten how to write a verse. He's all about couplets now."
Los Angeles Times writer Jeff Weiss noted a "creative languor" and stated "Wayne reveals he’s mortal after all". Pitchfork Media's Ryan Dombal stated "We get Wayne spouting classic Weezy-isms—explicit sex, cartoonish gunplay, and allusions to the intricacies of the digestive system abound—over at-least-decent original beats", but noted that "there's a lingering sense that the rapper is not in top gear; his flow is often slow and static, his wordplay lively yet less energized than what we're now used to". Entertainment Weekly 's Brad Wete called the album "stale" and wrote that "none of the new songs on this set hold a candle to [No Ceilings], much less... Tha Carter III". Andy Gill of The Independent gave the album three stars out of five and called it "a perfunctory affair". The Boston Globe 's Julian Benbow wrote that "the sharper moments [...] are drowned out by the redundant ones". Jon Caramanica of The New York Times called it "an uncentered collection of odds and ends", writing that "Too often Lil Wayne lapses into predictable flow structures, quick ideas paired with built-in rejoinders: 'They say money talks/ but it’s my spokesperson,' and so on". Slant Magazine's Jesse Cataldo perceived "half-assed rhyme work" from Wayne and called it "kind of a crummy album, rife with laziness and repetition ... It may have a decidedly lazy presentation, but I Am Not a Human Being inevitably succeeds at what it sets out to do: remind us of Wayne's artistic validity and whetting our appetite for more". David Pott-Negrine of Drowned in Sound gave it a score of six out of ten and said that "It may not be a great or even particularly good album, but it does at least tide us over until Weezy become[s] a free man, and the much talked about Tha Carter IV finally sees the light of day." Sean L. Maloney of American Songwriter gave the album two-and-a-half stars out of five and said of Lil Wayne, "he's just killing time with sub-par versions of his far more popular songs – this is a completely superfluous release that lacks the relevance and immediacy of his mixtape works and the quality-control of his albums."
|1.||"Gonorrhea" (featuring Drake)||Dwayne Carter, Jr., Aubrey Graham, Daniel Johnson, Hide||Kane Beatz||4:22|
|2.||"Hold Up" (featuring T-Streets)||Carter, Jesse James, Keith Miller, Brian Parker, David Stokes, Brian Wicker||The Olympicks||4:11|
|3.||"With You" (featuring Drake)||Carter, Graham, Nicholas Warwar||StreetRunner||3:49|
|4.||"I Am Not a Human Being"||Carter, Andrews Correa, Marco Rodriguez-Diaz||Infamous, Drew Correa||4:05|
|5.||"I'm Single"||Carter, Graham, Noah Shebib, Sidney Brown, Christopher Gibson, Matthew Samuels, Dalton Tennant||Noah "40" Shebib, Omen (co.)||5:33|
|6.||"What's Wrong with Them" (featuring Nicki Minaj)||Carter, Onika Maraj, Bigram Zayas||Develop||3:31|
|7.||"Right Above It" (featuring Drake)||Carter, Graham, Johnson, Andrew Canton||Kane Beatz||4:32|
|8.||"Popular" (featuring Lil Twist)||Carter, Christopher Moore, Marcello Valenzano||Cool & Dre||4:40|
|9.||"That Ain't Me" (featuring Jay Sean)||Carter, Warwar, Kamaljit Jhooti, Roger Pasco, Michael Aiello||StreetRunner||4:03|
|10.||"Bill Gates"||Carter, Matthew Samuels, Matthew Burnett||Boi-1da, Matthew Burnett (add.)||4:19|
|11.||"YM Banger" (featuring Gudda Gudda, Jae Millz and Tyga)||Carter, Carl Lilly, Jarvis Mills, Michael Stevenson||Mike Banger||3:55|
|12.||"YM Salute" (featuring Lil Twist, Lil Chuckee, Gudda Gudda, Jae Millz and Nicki Minaj)||Carter, Daen Simmons, Maraj, Moore, Lilly, Mills, Rashad Ballard||Mr. Pyro||5:14|
|13.||"I Don't Like the Look of It" (featuring Gudda Gudda)||Carter, Lilly, Orlando Tucker||Jahlil Beats||3:18|
• (co.) Co-producer
• (add.) Additional production
|Australian Albums Chart||60|
|Belgium Albums Chart (Wallonia)||99|
|Canadian Albums Chart||4|
|French Albums Chart||167|
|Swiss Albums Chart||46|
|UK Albums Chart||56|
|UK R&B Chart||8|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Digital Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Rap Albums (Billboard)|
|US Billboard 200||21|
|US Billboard 200||47|
Bullets in the Gun by Toby Keith
|US Billboard 200 number-one album
October 30, 2010
The Incredible Machine by Sugarland
|United States||September 27, 2010||Digital download||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|October 12, 2010||CD|
|United Kingdom||October 18, 2010||CD||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Island|
|October 22, 2010||Digital download|
- I Am Not A Human Being album
- Ziegbe, Mawuse (2010-07-09). "Lil Wayne Dropping New EP In September – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Harper, Rosario (2010-07-09). "Lil Wayne Putting Out "I'm Not A Human Being" EP On 27th Birthday". Sohh.Com. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Birdman Speaks On 50 Cent, Turk & Lil Wayne | Down-South.com – Mixtapes, Music, Videos & More". Down-South.com. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Daily News – : Lil Twist Talks New Album, Career, Friendship With Justin Bieber". Allhiphop.com. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "DJ Scoob Doo Speaks On Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV & I’m Not A Human Being". Lil Wayne HQ. 2010-09-02. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Preview Lil Wayne's New Album". SPIN.com. 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Lil Wayne EP Now Full LP". Rap Radar. 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Vasquez, Andres (2010-09-27). "Lil Wayne Drops Vocoder and Returns to "Raw Rap," According to Birdman | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Reid, Shaheem (2010-09-27). "Lil Wayne's I Am Not A Human Being: Otherworldly Flows And STDs – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Archive Chart". Theofficialcharts.com. 2010-10-16. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Caulfield, Keith (October 6, 2010). "Kenny Chesney Claims Sixth No. 1 Album with 'Hemingway's Whiskey'". Billboard. Retrieved on 2010-10-11.
- Jacobs, Allen (October 13, 2010). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 10/10/2010". HipHopDX. Retrieved on 2010-10-21.
- Caulfield, Keith (October 20, 2010). "Lil Wayne's 'Human Being' Leaps 16–1 on Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved on 2010-10-21.
- Lil Wayne Album & Song Chart History – Billboard 200. Billboard. Retrieved on 2010-11-21.
- "I Am Not a Human Being certification". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Week Ending Sept. 4, 2011. Albums: Weezy Does It - Chart Watch". New.music.yahoo.com. 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Jeffries, David (October 4, 2010). "I Am Not a Human Being - Lil Wayne". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Rabin, Nathan (November 9, 2010). "Lil Wayne: I Am Not A Human Being". The A.V. Club (Chicago). Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Wete, Brad (October 15, 2010). "I Am Not a Human Being Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Weiss, Jeff (October 12, 2010). "Album review: Lil Wayne's 'I Am Not a Human Being'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
- Cashmore, Pete (October 9, 2010). "Review: I Am Not a Human Being". NME (London) (40): 41.
- Dombal, Ryan (October 5, 2010). "Lil Wayne: I Am Not a Human Being". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Rosen, Jody (September 29, 2010). "I Am Not a Human Being". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- Cataldo, Jesse (October 14, 2010). "Lil Wayne: I Am Not a Human Being". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Detrick, Ben (September 30, 2010). "Lil Wayne, 'I Am Not a Human Being' (Cash Money)". Spin. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- Jones, Steve (September 28, 2010). "Lil Wayne, I Am Not a Human Being: On a Planet All His Own". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Critic Reviews for I Am Not a Human Being". Metacritic. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
- Bainsbridge, Luke (October 2, 2010). "Lil Wayne: I Am Not a Human Being". The Observer. Retrieved on 2010-10-03.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Lil Wayne". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being". Uncut: 84. February 2011.
- "Lil Wayne, 'I Am Not a Human Being'". Billboard. October 22, 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- McBee, Wilson (October 4, 2010). "Album Review: Lil Wayne - I'm Not a Human Being EP". Prefix Magazine. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- Gill, Andy (October 15, 2010). "Album: Lil Wayne, I Am Not A Human Being (Island)". The Independent. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Benbow, Julian (October 18, 2010). "Lil Wayne, 'I Am Not a Human Being'". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- Caramanica, Jon (October 10, 2010). "New CDs (Lil Wayne: 'I Am Not a Human Being')". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- Pott-Negrine, David (October 28, 2010). "Lil' Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- Maloney, Sean L. (October 12, 2010). "Lil Wayne: I Am Not A Human Being". American Songwriter. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "I Am Not a Human Being – Lil Wayne (album)". iTunes. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- September 16, 2010 (2010-09-16). "Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being (Tracklist & Album Cover)". Def Pen Radio. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Credits: I Am Not a Human Being. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2010-10-13.
- "I am Not a Human Being-Lil Wayne", ARIA CHARTS
- "Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being", ultratop.be
- "I am Not a Human Being-Lil Wayne", Billboard
- "Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being", lescharts.com
- "Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being", acharts
- "Archive Chart". Theofficialcharts.com. 2010-10-16. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Best of 2010 – Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Billboard 200 Year-End 2011". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "I Am Not A Human Being: Lil Wayne: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "I Am Not A Human Being: Lil Wayne: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "I Am Not A Human Being: Lil Wayne: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-02-23.