I Am Robot and Proud
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (April 2012)|
|I Am Robot and Proud|
I am Robot and Proud performing in February 2009.
|Birth name||Shaw-Han Liem|
|Born||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Labels||Darla, & Records|
Shaw-Han Liem, better known by the alias I am Robot and Proud, is a Canadian indie electronic artist from Toronto, Ontario. He has released albums under the labels Darla and & Records. He is also a video game designer, having co-created the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita game Sound Shapes.
The I am Robot and Proud live band includes Toronto musicians Jeremy Strachan, Robin Buckley and Mike Smith. Previous members have included Jim Guthrie, Samir Khan, Gus Weinkauf and Simon Osbourne. In 2009, Liem collaborated on a performance with media artist Daito Manabe, combining Manabe's physical music visualizations with improvised composition. In 2010 he also performed a live collaboration set with Boredoms drummer Senju Muneomi and Tokyo computer-composer Yuri Miyauchi.
Liem has also worked extensively as a remixer, in 2010 being tapped to rework Yellow Magic Orchestra's Yukihiro Takahashi's project Pupa. He has also worked with labels such as Arts & Crafts, Ghostly International, Asthmatic Kitty, Avex Trax and EMI Music Japan.
He has recently collaborated with game designer Jonathan Mak on the game for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita Sound Shapes, for which he will serve as a co-designer and composer. He participated in a roundtable discussion on the topic of independent videogame music at the 2009 Game Developers Conference together with the composers of independent game titles PixelJunk Eden, Flower and Night Game. Sound Shapes won the 2012 Game Critics Awards for best mobile/handheld game, and was declared E3 Game of Show by 1UP.com. It also won Best Song and Best Mobile game at the Spike Video Game Awards.
- The Catch (2001 · Catmobile Records)
- You Make Me This Happy (2002 · Piehead Monthly Series Contribution)
- Grace Days (2003 · Catmobile Records)
- The Electricity in Your House Wants to Sing (2006 · Darla)
- Catch/Spring Summer Autumn Winter (2007 · Darla)
- Uphill City (2008 · Darla (US) / & Records (JP))
- Uphill City Remixes & Collaborations (2010 · Darla (US) / & Records (JP))
- Touch/Tone (2013 Darla (US) / 7e.p. (JP))
Singles & EPs
- Spring Summer Autumn Winter (2002 · Mira)
- Electric Avenue 6 (2003 · Duotone)
- My Sky Your Sky (2005 · Duotone)
- Little Keys on Anything For Progress (2011 · & Records)
- One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven on Songs of Seven Colors (2008 · p*dis/inpartmaint)
- Jean Meance on Habitat (2008 · Asthmatic Kitty)
Remixes & collaborations
- Qrion remix track "Mizu" on the album Sink (2014 Sense Label)
- Lasah collaboration track "Give Up" on the album I Love You (2014)
- Akira Kosemura remix track "虹の彼方" on 虹の彼方 single (2013 - Schole Records)
- The Girl and The Robots remix track "單人探戈" on 平行宇宙 (2012 - Asia Muse / R2G Music)
- Shintaro Aoki collaboration track "Two Pianos" on Mizukage Compilation 16 (2011 - Mizukage)
- Baiyon collaboration track "Madder Red" on Vibes Against Vibes (2011 · Descanso)
- Minotaurs Pink Floyd remix on The Thing Remixed' (2011 · Static Clang)
- Yomoya Kitaineiro remix on Yawn (2011 · & Records)
- Autumnleaf One Day remix on The Foot Remix EP (2011 · wood/water Japan)
- Pupa Dreaming Pupa remix on Remix EP (2010 · EMI Japan)
- Jim Guthrie All Gone alternate mix on Now More Than Ever LP (2010 · 3 Syllables)
- Yuri Miyauchi _ael remix on Toparch (2010 · Rallye Japan)
- Brian Alfred It's Already The End of The World Installation/DVD Soundtrack (2010 · Haunch of Venison, NYC)
- Deastro Green, Grays and Nordics on Tone Adventure #3 (2009 · Ghostly International)
- no.9 Princess on Usual Revolution & Nine (2009 · Liquid Note)
- Mitsuki Aira Happiness Land on Barbie Barbie (2009 · D-topia)
- Gentleman Reg We're in a Thunderstorm on Jet Black (2009 · Arts & Crafts)
- De De Mouse Sundown River on Sunset Girls (2008 · Avex Trax)
- "iTunes Preview: I Am Robot and Proud". Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- "I am Robot and Proud, One Show Only in Busan this Week at The Basement". busanhaps.com. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- Jeriaska (2009-04-21). "Interview: I Am Robot Makes Game". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Jeriaska (2009-07-02). "An Indie Game Music Roundtable: Night, Flower, Eden and Proud". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2009-07-07.