I Am Second
An image of the I Am Second platform
|Founded||December 2, 2008|
|Key people||Norm Miller - Founder, Curtis Hail - e3 Partners Ministry President, Mike Jorgensen - Vice President North-America, John Humphrey - Director of Communications, Buddy Vaughn - Media Buying, DX Media|
|Mission||Inspiring a Revolution of Second|
I Am Second is a multimedia movement and not-for-profit organization that is designed to inspire people to live differently. Founded by the CEO and Chairman of the Interstate Battery System of America, Norm Miller, and in partnership with a group of individuals from e3 Partners Ministry, I Am Second has become a platform for Christian evangelism.
I Am Second was founded on December 2, 2008, in collaboration with a small team from e3 Partners Ministry with whom Miller had worked with before. Started as an outreach organization for those individuals living in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, I Am Second has grown into an international movement.
I Am Second's website advertises ways in which an individual can become involved with the movement . In particular, the website shows readers video-testimonies from a large group of individuals who have been transformed by the power of Jesus Christ and have found the power to overcome various struggles through putting Jesus Christ first. Each video-testimony is featured to correspond with a specific subject area or common struggle that people are experiencing or have experienced throughout their lives.
Effectively labelled as "Seconds", those individuals who commit to sharing the dramatic effects of their faith through the movement’s website, consist of ordinary Christians, as well as more well known individuals, professional athletes and celebrities. Below includes a list of famous Seconds who are involved in the I Am Second movement and have dedicated their lives to Jesus Christ, which were transformed through the power of their Christian faith:
- Anne Rice, Gothic novelist
- Alex Kendrick, film director and founder of Sherwood Pictures
- Baron Batch, American professional football player
- Bethany Hamilton, professional surfer and shark attack survivor
- Bailee Madison, child actress
- Bradie James, American professional football player
- Brant Hansen, radio personality
- Brian Sumner, professional skateboarder
- Brian Welch, Korn guitarist
- Chris Coghlan, professional baseball player
- Colt McCoy, American professional football player
- Christian Hosoi, professional skateboarder
- Christian Ponder, American professional football player
- Clayton Kershaw, professional baseball player
- Daniel Sepulveda, American football player
- Darrell Waltrip, former NASCAR driver
- David Murphy, professional baseball player
- Greg Ellis, American professional football player
- Jack Graham, pastor of Dallas megachurch
- Janine Turner, actress
- Jason Castro, singer and American Idol finalist
- Jason Witten, American professional football player
- Joe Gibbs, American professional football coach and NASCAR team owner
- Joe Hagerty, track and cross country state qualifier
- Josh Hamilton, professional baseball player
- Josh Turner, country music singer
- Kay Robertson, Duck Dynasty cast member
- Ken Hutcherson, pastor and former American professional football player
- Landry Jones, American college football player
- Lecrae, Christian hip-hop musician
- Matt Barkley, American professional football player
- Michael W. Smith, contemporary Christian musician
- Michelle Aguilar, winner of reality show The Biggest Loser: Families
- Mike Huckabee, American politician
- Moriah Peters, contemporary Christian musician
- Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty cast member
- Sean Lowe, The Bachelor
- Scott Hamilton, figure skater and Olympic gold medalist
- Scotty McCreery, country music singer
- Sam Bradford, American professional football player
- Stephen Baldwin, film actor, director, producer, and author
- Tony Evans, pastor and radio broadcaster
- Tony Dungy, former American professional football player and coach
- Trevor Bayne, NASCAR driver
- Vitor Belfort, mixed martial artist
- Wayne Simien, former professional basketball player
- Wayne Huizenga, businessman
In order to strengthen connection to others involved in the movement and in their Christian faith, I Am Second groups have been established by the organization. These groups are centered on discussions wherein people share and discuss daily struggles and issues of life in a Christian context. One of the main goals of these groups are to introduce the idea of people restructuring their life in a way in which they put God first and themselves second. Furthermore, I Am Second groups function in order to help members explore and discover their own personal purpose in life, as well as unite people who are on similar spiritual journeys.
- "I Am Second - About". Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "I Am Second - Who We Are". Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "I Am Second Celebrates Second Birthday with Evening of Inspirational Stories of Changed Lives". Retrieved July 17, 2011.
- "'I Am Second' Grows Worldwide". Mission Network News. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- Riley, Jennifer. "'I Am Second' Movement Puts Christ First". The Christian Post. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "I Am Second". Retrieved 18 July 2011.