I Am a Hotel
|I Am a Hotel|
|Directed by||Allan F. Nicholls|
|Produced by||Barrie Wexler
|Written by||Leonard Cohen
|Narrated by||Leonard Cohen|
|Music by||Leonard Cohen|
Blue Memorial Video Ltd.
|Distributed by||Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)
|Running time||28 minutes|
Leonard Cohen had the idea for the film based upon his personal experiences and his song The Guests. It was originally intended for the Canadian pay TV network C-Channel, but when the network collapsed, the production was completed by Citytv with financial assistance from Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and the Canadian Film Development Corporation.
Cohen features frequently, as an amused bystander ('the Resident'). Extensive dance routines in scenes 2 and 3 were choreographed by Ann(e) Ditchburn, who also dances as the Gypsy wife in scene 3. There are five scenes, each based around a Cohen song.
- 1 The Guests in which the characters enter via the lobby and are taken to their rooms; The bellboy and chambermaid meet in the corridor; and the manager and his wife apparently have angry words in the lobby after which she strides off.
- 2 Memories (in which the bellboy pursues the chambermaid around the laundry and ballroom)
- 3 The Gypsy wife (in which the manager's wife, in fetching attire, dances on the boardroom table)
- 4 Chelsea Hotel # 2 (in which the two lovers try, and fail, to make love, and the admiral and diva at last face each other across the hallway)
- 5 Suzanne (in which scenes of Suzanne with Cohen are interspersed with shots of the two couples reunited and dancing together, and the hotel manager distraught and then drinking at the bar)
A short epilogue repeats the opening material from 'The Guests'. The final credits give the makers as 'Blue Memorial Video Ltd' and dedicate the piece to David Blue (1941-1982).
- Leonard Cohen as The Resident
- Celia Franca as The Diva
- Alberta Watson as Suzanne
- Toller Cranston as The Manager
- Claudia Moore as Chambermaid
- Daniel Allman as Young Lover
- Samantha Logan as Young Lover
- Robert Desrosiers as The Bellboy
- Anne Ditchburn as The Gypsy Wife
- Leo Leyden as The Admiral
The film was released on video in 1996.
- Ghomeshi, Jian. "Leonard Cohen in Three Acts". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Nadel, Ira Bruce (2007). Various Positions: A Life of Leonard Cohen (illustrated ed.). University of Texas Press. pp. pages 235–237. ISBN 0-292-71732-6. OCLC 9780292717329.
- Miller, Mary Jane (1996). Rewind and search: conversations with the makers and decision-makers of CBC television drama. McGill-Queen's Press. pp. page 408. ISBN 0-7735-1365-5. OCLC 9780773513655.
- "Romantic Despair' Still Lives In Leonard Cohen". Toledo Blade. June 2, 1985. pp. page 39. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Buckley, Peter; Rough Guides (2003). Peter Buckley, ed. The rough guide to rock (3, illustrated ed.). Rough Guides. pp. page 220. ISBN 1-84353-105-4. OCLC 9781843531050.
- McGoogan, Kenneth (1991). Canada's undeclared war: fighting words from the literary trenches. Detselig Enterprises. pp. page 62. ISBN 1-55059-032-4. OCLC 9781550590326.
- Scobie, Stephen (2000). Stephen Scobie, ed. Intricate preparations: writing Leonard Cohen (illustrated ed.). ECW Press. pp. page 131. ISBN 1-55022-433-6. OCLC 9781550224337.